Leo Cahilll Passes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Remember him more as a broadcaster with him and Ron Lancaster in the booth on CBC. When he was a coach I was just a young kid so vaguely remember him. Certainly was a colourful character. RIP Leo.
David
Team Captain

It is a little-known fact (or long forgotten one) that Leo was once...very briefly...head coach of the BC Lions. Back in 1977 after interviewing 26 candidates, we signed Leo. Two days before he was to fly out to meet the Vancouver media though, the Argos sacked their head coach (Russ Jackson) and Leo signs on for another stint with the Argos. Screwed again by the East!

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise though as we hired Vic Rapp instead, and the Argos were forced to pay us $10,000 (not an insignificant amount of dough in those days). On August 23rd of that year, the Argos rolled into town on Leo's first visit and we bleached them 30-0. I recall the fans sticking it to him pretty good that night, serenading him with "Goodbye Leo" (to the tune of "Goodnight Ladies").

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm
It is a little-known fact (or long forgotten one) that Leo was once...very briefly...head coach of the BC Lions. Back in 1977 after interviewing 26 candidates, we signed Leo. Two days before he was to fly out to meet the Vancouver media though, the Argos sacked their head coach (Russ Jackson) and Leo signs on for another stint with the Argos. Screwed again by the East!

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise though as we hired Vic Rapp instead, and the Argos were forced to pay us $10,000 (not an insignificant amount of dough in those days). On August 23rd of that year, the Argos rolled into town on Leo's first visit and we bleached them 30-0. I recall the fans sticking it to him pretty good that night, serenading him with "Goodbye Leo" (to the tune of "Goodnight Ladies").

I remember that. We were sitting behind the opposition and the fans were really giving it to Cahill.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:18 am
David wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm

I remember that. We were sitting behind the opposition and the fans were really giving it to Cahill.
Lol. I'm positive I was there too. When I get back home I'll have to check my game program collection to be sure.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

My memory of Cahill is pretty much of his broadcasting career but I also have recollections of his work as Argo GM (bringing Pless and Clemons to the CFL).

I remember Cahill, Lancaster and Wittman having a great time while they worked the booth. I loved their stories and the colour they brought to the games. Waaaay more entertaining than what was on CTV (apart from Frank Rigney who I quite liked).