Odell Willis headed to B.C.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:55 pm
Charleston Hughes for Vernon Adams? Are you kidding me?!? What am I missing with Adams? He seems like more of a 3rd down sneak / wildcat guy.

I know Hughes is no spring chicken but I could see this as maybe....I dunno.....Adams and a draft pick....like a FIRST ROUNDER perhaps?? lol

DH :cool:
it`s an entertaining read over on RF ( the early posts in the thread refer only to the CGY-HAM deal--then the big boom happens). Most are (understandably) pretty happy with getting Hughes for Adams.

CGY must have been feeling salary cap pressure to deal Hughes. I wonder if they knew he would be flipped to SSK (and would they have made the deal if they knew)?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And what up with Hamilton. Another QB discussion. What happened to Manziel? I haven't been paying the closest attention.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
maxlion
Legend

I've always liked willis. Great player and brings some attitude and fun to the team. Not sure of the sms implications and how much he has left, but those considerations aside, I like this move.

Adams wasn't going to get a chance in Saskatchewan, but I wouldn't write him off yet. In fact, I wish that we had acquired him instead. He will get a good chance to play in Hamilton, so we will finally see whether he can be a full time player. At least, he should be a backup capable of pulling out a win. Hughes is a great addition for a contending team like Saskatchewan but, overall, I would give the edge to Hamilton on this one.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Pretty much my feelings/take on it in this LU piece, i.e. I knew he was a character -- a good time guy, and I welcomed that. I had mild concerns, but it's comforting to hear Ed's insights into the guy and how hard he works at playing well (and having fun while at it!)
http://3downnation.com/2018/02/02/willi ... ole-lions/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Like many here I haven't exactly been a fan of Willis. Good player who has at times come across as a headcase. I'd have to check some game logs but I think he jumped offside last year with the same frequency as Dean Valli used to get flagged for procedure. Edmonton is cleaning house on their DL which is no surprise. I think they finished the season with 6 DL over 30. They've purged themselves of half of them now. Hughes was definitely an SMS casualty in Calgary.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:45 pm
And what up with Hamilton. Another QB discussion. What happened to Manziel? I haven't been paying the closest attention.
The report early this week that his agent wanted starter money and Hamilton offered about 1/3 of that which also was 3X.minimum pretty much eliminated Johnny Football from The Hammer. If that's the ask Montreal probably isn't interested in his rights either.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I feel this is a good trade for BC and they gave up very little to get him. However, considering he is 33, it is likely for a year or 2. This is more of a Hervey move than a Buono one. Buono tends to cut players when they have a year or 2 left. Clearly, he is on board with this for BC needs experience and a proven pass rusher on there and more leadership.

Now they need to fix the offensive line. So far no new players added on there and need a proven starter or 2 on there. Maybe that will come through free agency.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Let's not forget about the D Line either. 1 aging, not every down player is hardly going to fix our woes there. It is an improvement but there is much room for further improvement.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm thinking/hoping Gabe Knapton is already a significant improvement, even though he's not exactly a youngster anymore either. Both he and Willis are fully animated get-up-and-go types. That could be contagious. Here's hoping! But, yeah, more more more (to whatever extent we can afford salaries)! And there might be some stellar rookie waiting in the wings, some 'Cam Wake' just waiting to be discovered. One or two of our young Nationals might fully come into their own this year as well.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:39 am
I'm thinking/hoping Gabe Knapton is already a significant improvement, even though he's not exactly a youngster anymore either. Both he and Willis are fully animated get-up-and-go types. That could be contagious. Here's hoping! But, yeah, more more more (to whatever extent we can afford salaries)! And there might be some stellar rookie waiting in the wings, some 'Cam Wake' just waiting to be discovered. One or two of our young Nationals might fully come into their own this year as well.
Finding some rookie D lineman phenom is way to hit and miss and this makes the trading for Willis such a solid move as he is a known quantity.
Rodu
Champion

I dunno, we will have to see how much tread is left on the tires
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:23 am
Let's not forget about the D Line either. 1 aging, not every down player is hardly going to fix our woes there. It is an improvement but there is much room for further improvement.
The way defenses rotate these days no D-lineman has to be an every down player. Wally often dressed 8 DL last year. Do a good job of managing the reps and fatigue shouldn't be a factor.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

One of the intangibles at this point is exactly what effect the return of coach Randy Melvin will have on the entire defensive line. Among our roster returnees the rather sleepy giant (Mic'hael Brooks) might be prodded and fully awakened. That, along with the hopefully contagious enthusiasm of his newest line-mates factored in, could prompt a bit of a transformation there in the interior of the line too. There's solid reason to hope I think. I'm choosing to stay on the proverbial sunny side of the street as we wind our way through these miles and months of scouting and recruitment toward spring-time and training camp. I reckon Mr. Melvin will be a key to the line's improved play and the Leo's success. I'm liking my daydream of very nervous opposing QBs taking the field against the men in orange in 2018. And in saying that, I too agree with others here and Ed himself, who has said, as recently as yesterday, there's still some work to do regards the d-line.
CardiacKid
Legend

Amongst all the wheeling and dealing of late is the potential of Vernon Adams being the next Kevin Glenn. Namely, being one of two players to be on the books of every CFL team.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:00 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:41 pm
Personally I think the Riders made the better deal today.
Agreed. The Riders now have two of the league’s best pass rushers in Jefferson and Hughes.

It took some complicated deals with East Division teams the Lions and Riders have both bolstered their D-lines at the expense of the Stamps and Eskimos, and that’s likely to help the competitive balance in the West.
I would have loved to see Hughes in a Leos uniform rather than Odell. Hughes has led the CFL in sacks the last two seasons.

Jones has pulled off a great trade and given the Riders a much better chance to be playing in the Big Dance this year.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)