Lions sign 3 DL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 am
I haven't heard an update on Evans' back issues that sidelined him for most of last year. He was dominant in the 5 games he played, with 9 pressures. That projects to 32 for an 18-game season. Only Saskatchewan's Willie Jefferson (37) had more. Craig Roh led the Lions with 15 pressures in 18 games.
That's odd. I really didn't notice DeQuin Evans when he was in the line-up early in the season. To me, he kind of fit the JAG (just another guy) description from my previous post. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Also, I am quite sure Roh didn't play all 18 games last season. Didn't he miss 1 or 2 games late in the year with a calf injury or something?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:15 pm
Also, I am quite sure Roh didn't play all 18 games last season. Didn't he miss 1 or 2 games late in the year with a calf injury or something?

DH :cool:
You're right. I believe he missed two games late in the season and returned for the final two, so he played 16.

Watching Roh line up inside on passing downs last year and bounce off big interior linemen always reminded me of a fly bouncing off a window, trying to get outside. If Menard is good enough pass rusher to be used at defensive end in passing situations, there's no reason to keep Roh on the roster.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 am
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:00 am
I'm not quite sure but once again, we seem to be intent on bringing in lots of "maybes" rather than making a concerted effort to bring in established players through free agency.
I still hope that Gabe Knapton and DeQuin Evans can be two missing pieces that the Lions didn't have for most of last year.

Knapton, acquired in a trade for Chris Williams this offseason, has average 8 sacks in his 4 seasons in Montreal. He ranked fifth in the league among defensive linemen with 38 tackles last year, and had 8 pressures.

I haven't heard an update on Evans' back issues that sidelined him for most of last year. He was dominant in the 5 games he played, with 9 pressures. That projects to 32 for an 18-game season. Only Saskatchewan's Willie Jefferson (37) had more. Craig Roh led the Lions with 15 pressures in 18 games.

A DL rotation featuring a healthy Evans, Knapton, Bazzie and perhaps Brooks or someone new, along with nationals Menard, Luke and Forde would be an upgrade on what the Lions had last year.
Evans might be another one that I think will fade away along with Bryant, Foley and Richardson. BC already has 16 DL listed which is more than they had listed on their 2015 TC roster. There absolutely will be a few names on the current roster who will not be in training camp and rightfully so. If Hervey is going to upgrade the DL it only stands to reason more than a few of those who suited up last year will be jettisoned to make room for a few more as yet to be named newcomers. Evans quietly put up some decent numbers early in the season but staying healthy has always been a problem for him. The numbers he did put up weren't good enough to bring him back in hopes he can stay healthy for a whole season, something he's been unable to do previously.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:07 pm
According to the article, Waugh weighs only 26 pounds. That's a bit on the small side if you ask me....not sure about this one.
26 lbs is certainly on the small size by any criteria :wink:
maxlion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:26 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:07 pm
According to the article, Waugh weighs only 26 pounds. That's a bit on the small side if you ask me....not sure about this one.
26 lbs is certainly on the small size by any criteria :wink:
He can run through people's legs to make the sack. Very innovative thinking. :thup:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Much like Mack Herron did when he was with the Bombers.