Lions sign new QB

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions may need to bolster their QB roster for minicamp. Jennings and Lulay are still recovering from injuries. I don't know if Jennings will be throwing at all. That just leaves Ross, Gale and Birdsong. In the past the Lions have brought six QBs to minicamp and at least five to main camp.
David
Team Captain

More from our newest quarterback recruit. Seems to have a really good attitude. Understands the quality of athletes up here. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

David wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:58 pm
More from our newest quarterback recruit. Seems to have a really good attitude. Understands the quality of athletes up here. :thup:

That attitude/understanding you mention David, which we see/hear in comments such as that of this young QB recruit (Birdsong) nicely reflects our GM's philosophy -- as in this quote from Ed in the recent Matt Baker article on year-round scouting work (Lions website).
"We have good players in this league and we always explain to our prospects that you cannot underestimate the quality of play and the quality players in the CFL because you will be embarrassed and humiliated quickly.”
David
Team Captain

Can we apply Ed's teachings to casual Canadian sports fans, Ernie? Yeesh. This should be a league-wide initiative.

Game does not get anywhere near the respect it deserves from its critics.

Heck, forget the bashers. Even those who don't watch the CFL out of lack or interest (as opposed to disdain and/or being staunchly pro-NFL) don't realize how good our athletes are.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:44 pm
South Pender wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm
Not meaning to be negative here, but his draft scout ratings don't look exceptional. Below is the summary. He's not projected to be drafted. As for mobility, his speed (4.97 40) would seem to put limitations on that; he appears to be big and slow.

Just for comparison, Travis Lulay turned in a 4.74 40, and Jonathan Jennings, a 4.65.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=QB

The paper statistics don't tell anywhere near the whole story, of course, and we could be pleasantly surprised by his capabilities. TC will tell.
While it's true that 40 times can be pretty good predictor of a player's chances of making the roster - and 4.97 is approaching "non-athlete/layman" territory - it may not tell the whole story as you suggest. Could he have been injured at the time? How "elusive" is he? Does he have good escapability? Does he think the game fast?

I guess we'll find out in April at the OTA's.

As fans do we perhaps put a bit too much onus on 40 times when it comes to QBs? I looked at the Draft Scout numbers for Birdsong and Reilly. Reilly showed a 4.79 compared to Birdsong's 4.97. However Birdsong was I think a hair faster than Reilly at 10 yards. In the grand scheme of things does the ability of one QBto run 40 yards less than 2/10ths or a second faster than the next make that much of a difference? IMO what's between the ears has a bigger impact on a QB's ability to run or escape when the pocket collapses than his legs. A fast QB who is slower to read and recognize when it's time to tuck the ball and run is slower than a slow QB who is quicker at that decision making process.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:44 pm
South Pender wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:16 pm
Not meaning to be negative here, but his draft scout ratings don't look exceptional. Below is the summary. He's not projected to be drafted. As for mobility, his speed (4.97 40) would seem to put limitations on that; he appears to be big and slow.

Just for comparison, Travis Lulay turned in a 4.74 40, and Jonathan Jennings, a 4.65.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=QB

The paper statistics don't tell anywhere near the whole story, of course, and we could be pleasantly surprised by his capabilities. TC will tell.
While it's true that 40 times can be pretty good predictor of a player's chances of making the roster - and 4.97 is approaching "non-athlete/layman" territory - it may not tell the whole story as you suggest. Could he have been injured at the time? How "elusive" is he? Does he have good escapability? Does he think the game fast?

I guess we'll find out in April at the OTA's.

As fans do we perhaps put a bit too much onus on 40 times when it comes to QBs? I looked at the Draft Scout numbers for Birdsong and Reilly. Reilly showed a 4.79 compared to Birdsong's 4.97. However Birdsong was I think a hair faster than Reilly at 10 yards. In the grand scheme of things does the ability of one QBto run 40 yards less than 2/10ths or a second faster than the next make that much of a difference? IMO what's between the ears has a bigger impact on a QB's ability to run or escape when the pocket collapses than his legs. A fast QB who is slower to read and recognize when it's time to tuck the ball and run is slower than a slow QB who is quicker at that decision making process.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Attitudinally there are no issues with this thinking. Mindset is everything when it comes to success at the pro level QB combined with ability to pass and executive and see the field.

Ross will surely be under press to step up as it sure seems he didn't get much chance last year but Wally is progress or be gone with back ups.

I liked the Ross comments last year as well.

These players have to come to the CFL knowing that the field may be wider and longer but the loss of the down on offense means if you run on first down and don't get yards, you don't get a Mulligan and you're likely passing on 2nd. The D Linemen might be smaller but their speed is a big factor.

I was curious as to where Birdsong was training and who with in the clip?
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

While the situation won't get a lot attention, I think one of the Lions priorities for 2018 is to find that 3rd string QB who shows potential to develop into a starter in the next 2-3 years. That guy is certainly not Mitchell Gale. It's been a long time since the Lions have not had a #3 QB that was intriguing. Is Alex Ross that guy? I don't think so either. Not unless he has a great camp and pre-season. Pierce, Lulay, Reilly, even DeMarco... those were guys we wanted to see get some playing time because we could see real potential. Say what you will about Wally but you can't knock his track record of finding the "next" quarterback. Ed Hervey needs to already be thinking of a future beyond Lulay and Jennings. That's the reality of the CFL.
hwgill
Legend

2 tenths of a second makes him slow?
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
David
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:40 am
While the situation won't get a lot attention, I think one of the Lions priorities for 2018 is to find that 3rd string QB who shows potential to develop into a starter in the next 2-3 years. That guy is certainly not Mitchell Gale. It's been a long time since the Lions have not had a #3 QB that was intriguing. Is Alex Ross that guy? I don't think so either. Not unless he has a great camp and pre-season. Pierce, Lulay, Reilly, even DeMarco... those were guys we wanted to see get some playing time because we could see real potential. Say what you will about Wally but you can't knock his track record of finding the "next" quarterback. Ed Hervey needs to already be thinking of a future beyond Lulay and Jennings. That's the reality of the CFL.
Ordinarily I would agree with you about Gale but we may have to defer that plan. With Lulay likely to miss a chunk of games to start the season (assuming that he even comes back; he's hasn't signed a contract for 2018 yet!), we need a veteran back-up should Jennings go down. One more fall on that injured shoulder and we could be looking at Ross, Birdsong, or another prospect starting with the first string offense? Yikes!

I'm not even saying Gale is the answer, but we need someone with CFL experience without blowing the budget. I am sure Jarious has already thought about this. I have faith the club will make the right call.

Roar, You Lions, Roar