Menard has re-signed with the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://3downnation.com/2018/01/22/lions ... extension/

A two year deal. Menard is able to fill in at DE or DT. I think his best seasons are yet to come.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hervey seems to be following the Wally routine. Methodically get the guys you really want to keep under contract. It's why I don't get overly excited about who the pending FAs are until about a week before the deadline. That's when I start worrying about who isn't signed and start looking at other teams for who might be available.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

squishy35 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 am
http://3downnation.com/2018/01/22/lions ... extension/

A two year deal. Menard is able to fill in at DE or DT. I think his best seasons are yet to come.
And a big helping of the same for Maxx Forde please. Like Menard, I don't think he really has hit his stride yet. For his limited reps on the line, he seemed pretty prominent and made the most of when he was inserted.

Never mind his passport, I think on quality of play he should be re-signed.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

:thup: :thup:
Blitz
Team Captain

Menard was 2nd on our Leos in 2017 in quarterback sacks, even though he was only a rotational player who had limited reps.

Menard has been one of my Leo faves since his rookie season. I posted several times, during 2016, that he should be getting reps, when he was being limited to special teams only.

Menard has a motor, he is a National, he can play inside or outside, and brings it on every play.

Happy we signed Menard again.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yes. Been a fan since I got a look at film on him from the Combine.

Excellent signing. Way to go, Ed.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

One of my favourite Leos. I've always thought that he should be getting more playing time that his spot rotational duty.

He has definitely exceeded expectations from his draft position (4th round, 32nd overall), but always knew he was as strong as an ox. IIRC, he won the bench press competition at the combine.

Shaq Johnson, David Menard.....those two key pieces are locked up. Now we need Hunter Steward's name on a contract.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Figaro
Rookie

This is a great signing. One of our best D lineman and a National to boot. I believe his play will only get better. I always give him a close look when he is in the game which is too few times for my liking. Pair him with Forde and what a National tandem on the interior of the line. They are not huge but their motors are always revving high.
David
Team Captain

Figaro wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:38 pm
This is a great signing. One of our best D lineman and a National to boot. I believe his play will only get better. I always give him a close look when he is in the game which is too few times for my liking. Pair him with Forde and what a National tandem on the interior of the line. They are not huge but their motors are always revving high.
Let's not forget about our first round pick last year (#7 overall) Junior Luke. He looks like a baller. Developed really nicely in the interior. What was once a weakness (National D-linemen) is turning into a strength with Menard, Luke, and Forde, especially if we can add a piece in this year's draft. Not sure if the club plans on keeping Ricky Foley and Louie Richardson.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:00 am
Not sure if the club plans on keeping Ricky Foley and Louie Richardson.

Good question. I thought Foley would've signed a 1 year deal but he isn't showing up on the pending FA list so he's still under contract for 2018. Richardson was used almost exclusively on special teams. If he got any D reps you could probably count them on one hand and have a couple fingers left over.

IMO if Foley is in camp that's a damning reflection on Hervey's efforts to address the D-line as a top priority The only time he was visible last year was when he was whiffing on his blocking assignments on the punt unit.

As for Richardson I had to look up his age and was shocked to see he's already 32. At 6'4" 244 he's really only suitable as a rotational rush end/special teams player. Similar to Foley if he is at camp it will also not be a positive offseason recruiting sign. He seems quite limited in being able to contribute on D. Tack on age and I think it shouldn't be difficult to find someone younger to provide the same contribution, someone at least with some upside.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Menard has been very impressive from rookie on in, IMO; guy is strong and has a motor and can rush the passer; agree with those saying he should get more playing time.

IMO - Wally could easily go with 2 starting NIs on the D-line: Menard can play DE but also rotate some at DT with his strength; Forde looked very strong at DT (why didn't he play more as the season wore on?) but also has DE capability (his college ball position); and Junior Luke is a very promising DT - big, strong and a play-maker. Maybe not looking like a lot of top D-line talent in this coming draft (outside of big DT Laurent out of US college ball), but there could be a diamond in the rough type to add for depth. Siging FA Justin Capiccotti would be huge IMO - one of the most under-rated DEs in the league in my books. Doubtful he is coveted or targeted though?

Wally & Mr. Ed probably only going to pencil-in one NI starter on the D-line though (if even?); fine & dandy if you have 3 or 4 excellent import D-linemen; but that should be decided via real TC competition and not assuming or having little respect for your NI talent.