Darian Durant - Signs 1 year deal with Bombers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Meh, unless it was a big quantity, it is unlikely to amount to anything given the pending de-criminalization. Pretty stupid however to cross international boundaries with illegal drugs. If he had been going the other direction, it is likely the outcome would have been far worse.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

DD's stint with WPG over before it even began:
https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/11/bombers-e ... etirement/
Considering how terrible he was last year with MTL (perhaps due to injuries), I'm not surprised.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:20 am
DD's stint with WPG over before it even began:
https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/11/bombers-e ... etirement/
Considering how terrible he was last year with MTL (perhaps due to injuries), I'm not surprised.
In some ways similar to Aragki and others. When opportunities to transition to post-playing life present themselves for veterans in the twilight of their careers they have to pursue them. An opportunity for Durant today isn't necessarily there this time next year. Also having a baby changes things for anybody. For a football player maybe moreso at this stage of his career than if he was early in his career. Put it all together and he's leaving at the right time and for all the right reasons. Definitely was a warrior!

RF.com has been down for a week now. The denizens there must be beside themselves not being able to weigh in on this and other topics of the past week. As revered as Durant was through most of his career he became a polarizing figure amongst Rider Nation in his last 3 years in Riderville.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

This really puts the Bombers in a bind, at least in the short term. I believe they only picked up two other quarterbacks in the off-season to come to camp, one of whom is our castoff, Alex Ross (the other being rookie Chis Streveler, who looks like a decent prospect, finishing 2nd in voting for the Walter Payton Award, but green as grass).

If Matt Nichols goes down for any length of time, their organization is in a world of hurt. I could see them signing Mitchell Gale or other experienced CFL QB, at least until other teams start releasing theirs or they make a deal for someone.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Durant while a good football player who at times played great, he is also a drama queen and his retiring 1 week before TC and keeping his $70k bonus, his less than stellar play as an Al, kinda proves that Chris Jones was right to move on from Durant.

Also, not informing the Bombers about his decision to retire, but instead announcing it for the first time on social media is questionable. I also didn't think much of his bragging and rubbing it in when early last season the Als beat the Riders.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 10:18 am
This really puts the Bombers in a bind, at least in the short term. I believe they only picked up two other quarterbacks in the off-season to come to camp, one of whom is our castoff, Alex Ross (the other being rookie Chis Streveler, who looks like a decent prospect, finishing 2nd in voting for the Walter Payton Award, but green as grass).

If Matt Nichols goes down for any length of time, their organization is in a world of hurt. I could see them signing Mitchell Gale or other experienced CFL QB, at least until other teams start releasing theirs or they make a deal for someone.

There will be lots of good QB's available after training camps
The_Pauser
Legend

Durant was cut a day before being set to receive a $140k bonus from the Als. So unless you were livid with the Als for doing that you really shouldn't be upset with Durant for taking this $70k.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:27 pm
Durant was cut a day before being set to receive a $140k bonus from the Als. So unless you were livid with the Als for doing that you really shouldn't be upset with Durant for taking this $70k.
:whs: It's a cruel business but a contract is a contract, and both sides can use it to their advantage.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 12:27 pm
I disagree. All parties know that the $140k bonus due is really about the Als saying yes we want you as our QB for 2018 or no we don't. The bonus has nothing to do with 2017 and even if it did, well Durant's play sure didn't warrant a bonus.

Durant's acceptance of the bonus from the Bombers is for a commitment to play in 2018, so if Durant has decided to not play in 2018, the ethical thing to do is return the money.

And even if you think I am wrong, do you really think if someone like the Als do something unethical to Durant that that gives Durant the right to do something unethical to the Bombers?

The best part about Durant's behaviour is that in many folks eyes it tarnishes Durant's legacy as a decent guy, and his legacy is something that Durant no doubt relishes.
maxlion
Legend

The contract should make it clear that the payment is an advance payment for services to be rendered and repayable in case the player is unwilling to fulfill the terms of the contract. After other instances of this nature occurring, I'm surprised that teams haven't wised up.

I wonder if the player's association is advising players to take the money and run as a kind of tit for tat.

It seems that employment as a CFL player is becoming increasingly unattractive year by year. Can't say I blame them for looking for better opportunities.
CardiacKid
Legend

This item, “ Darian Durant quit on the Riders in 2016: report”, at 3downnation certainly won’t help (if correct) Durant’s reputation in Riderville.

http://3downnation.com/2018/05/12/daria ... 16-report/
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:42 pm
This item, “ Darian Durant quit on the Riders in 2016: report”, at 3downnation certainly won’t help (if correct) Durant’s reputation in Riderville.

may be true, may be not.

I wouldn't believe it just because someone at 3DN wrote it.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 8:54 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:42 pm

may be true, may be not.

I wouldn't believe it just because someone at 3DN wrote it.
I doesn't matter in Riderville because they are all wearing green goggles. It is Durant's reputation around the rest of the league that is taking a hit.
David
Team Captain

I think fans in Winnipeg are a little too giddy with excitement right now to care. But it's been fun to watch Darian spar with a few Bomber fans today and go at it with the Bombers PR guy Darren Cameron. A little unprofessional on the part of the Bombers though to handle this business publicly...

Darren Cameron
‏Verified account @Darren_Cameron
May 11

Darren Cameron Retweeted CFL News

Simply not true. Yes, they’ve been in touch about it being a possibility since shortly before mini-camp, but we never did receive a comfirmation or notification about a retirement, including in a convo last night w his agent. Our statement is 1000% how it unfolded. Bottom line.

Darren Cameron added,
CFL News
@CFL_News

"It's something they've (#Bombers) known. My agent has been in touch with their GM for the last 3 weeks. They knew that." - Darian Durant #CFL #Riders via @rodpedersen
29 replies 44 retweets 128 likes

Darian Durant
‏Verified account @dariandurant
Replying to @Darren_Cameron

please stop throwing that out there. My agent told Kyle. Kyle said he was on vacation and would call me. He never called so I announced. If u don’t have all the info please stay in your lane.

:popcorn:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I have lost a lot of respect for Durant as he has become (maybe always was ) too much of a drama queen for me.