Jerry Keeling Passes

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

He was slender and IIRC sort of like Jackie Parker's build.

Good player and not very old to pass on like this.

Those were the days of DBs and QBs playing both sides of the ball.

Game is different now. It seems more these days who start football later don't come with both sides of the ball skills.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

Will forever be remembered for the 1971 Grey Cup at Empire Stadium, delivering the Stamps their first Grey Cup in 23 years. Two very slim quarterbacks in that game. Keeling , who could escape from a jail cell sideways, against Argos rookie, "Skinny Joe" Theismann. I always thought Keeling and Ti-Cat DB Garney Henley looked more like chartered accountants than pro athletes. Great football players though!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jerry Keeling and Wayne Harris. Great players. They were both quiet types. Shy, almost, in interviews. But the fires burned inside. :thup:

God bless.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm
He was slender and IIRC sort of like Jackie Parker's build.

Good player and not very old to pass on like this.

Those were the days of DBs and QBs playing both sides of the ball.

Game is different now. It seems more these days who start football later don't come with both sides of the ball skills.
Keeling didn't even become the Calgary starter until 1969, his 9th season with the Stamps. That was when Peter Liske bolted the Stamps to play for the Denver Broncos. By the time he inherited the starting QB job Keeling already had 5 CFL West All-Star awards and 3 CFL All-Star awards as a DB. I don't know if his play as backup QB to "Eagle" Day and later Liske played a small role in voting but nonetheless it was remarkable to go from all-star DB to starting QB. He might not have earned any all-star nominations at QB but from my recollection he was pretty good at it. I would have gladly taken him to replace Paul Brothers. :wink:

Passing games certainly were different then. Today's QBs are much more proficient at protecting the ball. The "Little General" Ron Lancaster tossed more picks (396) than TDs (333) in his 19 year career. He never threw fewer than 20 interceptions in the final decade of his career and those were 16 game seasons. It was the same for Keeking with 117 TD passes and 157 INTs. In Keeling's first 3 seasons as Stampeder starter he threw for 46 TDs but added 66 passes picked off and came out of it with a ring. Regardless he was the undisputed #1 in Cowtown. In today's game that usually earns you a seat on the bench or the bus out of town.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
QB Club 63
All Star

Just remember, this was back in the day when the running game was more important. It was a vital part of the offence, not a tactic that was used every now and then to set up the pass. I always recall an old coach's comment (not sure who this is attributed to) "When you throw the ball down the field, there are three things can happen, and two of those are bad."
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

QB Club 63 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:26 pm
I always recall an old coach's comment (not sure who this is attributed to) "When you throw the ball down the field, there are three things can happen, and two of those are bad."
Vic Rapp
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

QB Club 63 wrote:
Just remember, this was back in the day when the running game was more important. It was a vital part of the offence, not a tactic that was used every now and then to set up the pass. I always recall an old coach's comment (not sure who this is attributed to) "When you throw the ball down the field, there are three things can happen, and two of those are bad."
actually, there are 4 things and only 2 are bad. Don't forget about flags.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:12 pm
QB Club 63 wrote:
I always recall an old coach's comment (not sure who this is attributed to) "When you throw the ball down the field, there are three things can happen, and two of those are bad."
Vic Rapp
:thup:

Yes, that was Vic Rapp's mantra to his QB when it came to tossing the long ball.

It wasn't that he was against the bomb (although his real speciality was the run game) it was he just didn't want to turn the ball over.

I used to use that line for years coaching senior mens' soccer as I had strict rules for the long pass other than for the GK who had the long punt as his primary read. If it was 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 upfront, it was to immediately be put into the space. Second read was the wide players on the back line or a wide open mid fielder. Only then was a 50/50 kind of ball to get sent up the park.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.si.com/vault/issue/44317/31/1

"Three things can happen when you pass, and two of 'em are bad." -- Darrell Royal

I first read the quote in Sports Illustrated way back in the day. Thanks to their archive it is still available. December 14, 1970. It was a mantra for Darrell Royal with the Texas Longhorns. It has also been attributed to Woody Hayes.

2018-01-26_0613.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Darrell Royal, Head Coach of the Eskmos in 1953.

Royal.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I hadn't read this article about the two legendary coaches and lifelong friends, Darrell Royal and Frank Broyles. Great stuff.

https://www.si.com/vault/1995/08/05/211 ... ilized-war

frank-broyles-darrell-royal-rivalry.jpg