Shaq Johnson signs new contract

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

https://www.bclions.com/2018/01/19/bc-l ... nson-2018/

Shaq Johnson back in the receiving corps :thup:
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm delighted to hear this! Looking forward to seeing one of our young National receivers come to fuller bloom this coming season. It's vitally important that we have a Canadian in our corp with the "excitement/real threat" potential. Our young Mr. Johnson seems to have pretty decent knack and know-how regards rout-running, and with burners to boot! He's slight, so I hope he's tough and durable. I'm optimistic. Being the old fogy that I am, admittedly, I still pine for the likes of Clermont -- sigh (and, cue the true nostalgia -- my old hero Sonny Homer of course!)
Blitz
Team Captain

What 'older' :) die hard Leos fan could ever forget Sonny Homer....or tight end Pat Claridge for that matter.

I'm very happy about seeing Shaq Johnson signed. He has speed, which I think is very important for the National field side wide out position.

Johnson had 30 receptions for 521 yards last season, in his first year as a starter. To compare, Marco Iannuzzi started in that position from 2011 to 2016 and never cracked the 500 yd. receiving mark. In Iannuzzi's best season, he had 360 yds. playing the wide side outside receiver position and only averaged 206 yds. per season as a starting outside receiver over 6 seasons.

Shaq Johnson is an upgrade at that position. He led our Lions’ receiving corps, in terms of average yds. per reception, with a 17.4-yard average last season. He opens things up for our other recievers with his speed and deep threat ability.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Shaq Johnson as a 4th round pick (32nd overall) has turned out to be a very astute pick for Lions management. Made some tough, deep catches last year. Really good hands and lightning speed. In fact, there were two sharp picks in the 4th round. The Argos took FB Declan Cross in the 4th round, 27th overall (very effective coming out of the backfield!).

The steal of the 2016 draft thus far is safety Taylor Loffler who had dropped all the way down to the 3rd round (19th overall). We don't know Shaq's ceiling yet though. :cr:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Johnson's emergence was a pleasant surprise last year. Despite missing the start of training camp with an injury, he quickly showed his speed and ability to stretch the field when he came back. By the second week of camp, he was atop the depth chart at field wideout, ahead of Stephen Adekolu and Brett Blaszko, both of whom were later released.

Unlike last year when the Lions had an abundance of national and international receivers, they have only three returning starters under contract this year. Chris Williams was traded to Montreal, Marco Iannuzzi retired and Nick Moore, who can play inside or outside, remains a pending free agent. Danny Vandervoort may get a chance to start at outside slot, but his size and skill set makes him more of an inside receiver. He could be an asset lined up as a tight end or blocking back in certain formations. I hope Jarious Jackson is able to redesign the offence to better use the use the skills of the players at his disposal. The Lions can't afford to rely on Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham to again carry the passing attack. They need to use all of their weapons.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Be interesting to see if Vandervoort has progressed to the point of being considered a possible starter; Shaq at WR and Vandervoort at a slot = 2 starting NIs on the offence?

And there are a few very good receivers up this coming draft IMO - that could add to that mix. Mark Chapman (leading receiver on a Div I team at C-Michigan) - Mr. Ed used a 1st rounder with the Esks on receiver Tevaun Smith (still bouncing around NFL PRs) out of Div I ball. And Regis Cibasu (Carabins) is a huge target who impressed me lots when i saw him play in the Q; ex- Dino and leading CIS receiver Rishaun Simoinse is also on this draft board (not sure if he will get another look from the NFL's Bengals?)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm
Be interesting to see if Vandervoort has progressed to the point of being considered a possible starter; Shaq at WR and Vandervoort at a slot = 2 starting NIs on the offence?
The only chance Vandervoort has of starting at a slot this year is if Wally turns in the roster with 3 starting slotbacks and no FB. I would hope if not expect DV gets more reps but most likely as a wideout where he can be slotted in as Shaq J's backup or can be inserted as a 5th receiver in some packages. He's a ways away from starting at slot and certainly isn't going to force Arceneaux and Burnham to lose sleep over their spots.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Isn't 5 pack the most basic, frequent look offence for Wally?

Arcenaux & Burnham are givens - - both excellent; and maybe Shaq Johnson has solidified himself as the wide-side WR; wouldn' t that leave 2 more receiver spots in the 5 pack? Iannuzzi played quite a bit but he's gone; Nick Moore, or plenty of other new or young import receivers could get one or both of those spots - and have to think a faster type is maybe needed at other WR spot vacated by Chris Williams; Vandervoort is a bigger target, better suited for inside receiver in the CFL, and does not have blazing speed.

I'd say Vandervoort (or any other young NI receiver) getting a shot to play regularly rests on Wally's pre-determined 7 NIs only thinking - could a 2nd receiver be amongst those 7. Or, Vandervoort could have a continued role as a depth/back-up/certain packages receiver. Maybe not the best role for a 3rd overall draft pick, but could still be a solid guy on the roster.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:44 pm
Isn't 5 pack the most basic, frequent look offence for Wally?

Arcenaux & Burnham are givens - - both excellent; and maybe Shaq Johnson has solidified himself as the wide-side WR; wouldn' t that leave 2 more receiver spots in the 5 pack? Iannuzzi played quite a bit but he's gone; Nick Moore, or plenty of other new or young import receivers could get one or both of those spots - and have to think a faster type is maybe needed at other WR spot vacated by Chris Williams; Vandervoort is a bigger target, better suited for inside receiver in the CFL, and does not have blazing speed.

I'd say Vandervoort (or any other young NI receiver) getting a shot to play regularly rests on Wally's pre-determined 7 NIs only thinking - could a 2nd receiver be amongst those 7. Or, Vandervoort could have a continued role as a depth/back-up/certain packages receiver. Maybe not the best role for a 3rd overall draft pick, but could still be a solid guy on the roster.
The Lions usually list 13 starters on offence, including a fullback and two Canadian receivers, but the standard first-down package had Lumbala at fullback and a Canadian field WR (Iannuzzi last year). In passing situations, Lumbala went out, Iannuzzi moved from field WR to to outside slot and Shaq Johnson came in as field WR. The team has operated this way for years, regardless of who was playing receiver.

Vandervoort is more of an inside receiver than a wideout but he backed up the outside slot position last year so it would be natural to use him there if he is the fifth receiver, and leave Shaq outside.