Lions trade for RB Brandon Rutley

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have acquired international running back Brandon Rutley from the Montreal Alouettes in exchange for an unnamed player on B.C.’s negotiation list.

This could be a good depth signing. The Lions used Chris Rainey in a rotation with Jeremiah Johnson last year but Rainey is a different type of runner and wouldn't be able to carry the load if anything happened to Johnson.

Lions trade for Alouettes RB Brandon Rutley
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Wonder if they might be thinking about returning to the platooning system they used in 2016 with Johnson and Allen?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hard to figure this out unless they see losing someone or using Rainey other places than in the backfield like Banks in Ham got moved to.

Interesting to know who the neg list player was. A QB I'd suspect lol
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 am

X2
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

what is happening with Shaquille Johnson?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Could be Alabama QB Jalen Hurts who is on our neg list. He had a wretched first half in the college football championship game, where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn combined with bad reads. I am sure a lot of NFL teams are having second thoughts about drafting him after that dreadful outing.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:02 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Could be Alabama QB Jalen Hurts who is on our neg list. He had a wretched first half in the college football championship game, where he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn combined with bad reads. I am sure a lot of NFL teams are having second thoughts about drafting him after that dreadful outing.

That would be hitting an early panic button. It's his final year in college that will really determine his draft stock. The upcoming season might be his final year if he declares early for the 2019 Draft. Otherwise he still has 2 more years to prove if that performance was the norm or just a bad day.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:26 pm
I am a little confused about this player. I thought he played some running back and I found at least one place that listed him as RB, yet I find him listed as WR in other places???

maybe I am getting him mixed up with MURRAY-LAWRENCE, Shaquille. Is this guy still on the team, in the league???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:26 pm
I am a little confused about this player. I thought he played some running back and I found at least one place that listed him as RB, yet I find him listed as WR in other places???

maybe I am getting him mixed up with MURRAY-LAWRENCE, Shaquille. Is this guy still on the team, in the league???
I am just as confused as you about Shaq Murray-Lawrence. Wally brought him in mid-way through the season and he had that one exceptional game at RB. Wally singled him out to the team as an example of perseverance and dedication etc. He never played again.

Not only that, he got in a car accident in Surrey from which he allegedly suffered a concussion and then was released again without any word of why. Odd.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 pm
I am just as confused as you about Shaq Murray-Lawrence. Wally brought him in mid-way through the season and he had that one exceptional game at RB. Wally singled him out to the team as an example of perseverance and dedication etc. He never played again.

Not only that, he got in a car accident in Surrey from which he allegedly suffered a concussion and then was released again without any word of why. Odd.

That game you speak of was when he came off the bench versus the Riders on August 5th (Week 7) when Johnson got dinged up. He had originally been released after Week 1 and was brought back right before that Rider game. I can't recall if he was on the PR between Week 1 and 7. He dressed for the next 4 games after that picking up some stats in garbage time against Montreal on September 8th. He got into the car accident a few days after the Montreal game. Originally they put him on the disabled list which I think is different from the 1G or 6G IR. 3 weeks later he was released. Everything up to that release is pretty much self-explanatory.

You're correct though. I don't recall anything either being communicated regarding the release on October 5th. Not much was said about the accident itself other than he sustained minor injuries in a head-on collision. Wally did allude to "he's been traumitized" and "I'd be careful about stepping back on the field". While that seems somewhat odd in of itself perhaps there were other much more serious, perhaps traumatic, aspects to the accident than SML's own physical injuries.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:45 pm
David wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:17 pm

That game you speak of was when he came off the bench versus the Riders on August 5th (Week 7) when Johnson got dinged up. He had originally been released after Week 1 and was brought back right before that Rider game. I can't recall if he was on the PR between Week 1 and 7. He dressed for the next 4 games after that picking up some stats in garbage time against Montreal on September 8th. He got into the car accident a few days after the Montreal game. Originally they put him on the disabled list which I think is different from the 1G or 6G IR. 3 weeks later he was released. Everything up to that release is pretty much self-explanatory.

You're correct though. I don't recall anything either being communicated regarding the release on October 5th. Not much was said about the accident itself other than he sustained minor injuries in a head-on collision. Wally did allude to "he's been traumitized" and "I'd be careful about stepping back on the field". While that seems somewhat odd in of itself perhaps there were other much more serious, perhaps traumatic, aspects to the accident than SML's own physical injuries.
Murray-Lawrence looked sharp at the start of training camp but he suffered a concussion at the end of the first week of camp and ultimately lost his spot on the roster. I didn't realize he suffered another concussion in the car crash. That would be his second concussion in three months. It's tough to come back from that.
Blitz
Team Captain

Ed Hervey has just traded for Brandon Rutley. We got him from Montreal for future considerations.

I like Rutley. He had a 5.1 yard average last season on a bad Montreal offence.

He will either back up Antonio Johnson or be used in a rotation as a starter as we did successfully in 2016 with Johnson and Allen.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Here is an update on Shaq Murray-Lawrence. Still not clear what precipitated his release from the club, but some disturbing video of the accident. You can see Shaq being tended to on the sidewalk by fire (who are often first at the scene) and then paramedics. It was a little more serious than I first thought.

http://3downnation.com/2018/03/11/aloue ... t-and-run/

Not exactly ringing endorsement for FAs to come to Surrey. You can hear someone saying "he (alleged hit-and-run perpetrator) jumped the fence." Can't see this happening to the Canucks or Whitecaps out at UBC, SMH.

Roar, You Lions, Roar