Glenn signs in Edmonton

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Kevin Glenn ...

2018-01-17_0557.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I would put him in the HOF. If he has been good enough to be part of every team, even if he didn't necessarily play for all of them, then he is certainly good enough to get in the HOF. You can't tell me that there aren't players in there that have done less and been less important in the overall scheme of things than Kevin Glenn.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

No question Glenn will be in the HOF, (and deserves to be).

We denigrate him sometimes for throwing INTs at the worst times, but the fact is he's been "good enough" to be continuously employed for 17 seasons (and counting). How many QBs can say that?

After dispatching BC in the 2012 West Final (subbing for Drew Tate), he failed to win the GC. I think he would have had a better chance of winning the 2007 GC, but a broken arm in the East Final snuffed that out.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:03 am
"Greatest Journeyman" is actually a backhanded compliment and imo a long career should not necessarily lead to the HOF, especially if at no time in Glenn's career was he the best QB in the CFL.
I always felt that way about Damon Allen
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BC 1988
Legend

ZLions wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:25 pm
Kevin Glenn is a decent regular season QB, but time and time again he shows us why he does not have a ring in this league, despite being a starter here for like 17 seasons. Constantly underperforms in the playoffs, you guys witnessed it when he was in BC back in 2014 and during this year's Eastern Final. Good thing Edmonton has him as a just a back-up, he might finally win it all this year.
Glenn hasn't been a starter throughout his career, and I think he would be the first to admit many of his signings would be of the emergency fill-in nature (BC 2014 the best example of that). It's a testament to the regard CFL GMs hold his skill that he hasn't been "out of football" at any time in his career (apart from injuries).

(Note to Mods: please merge the two "Kevin Glenn signs in Edmonton" threads together. Thanks)

[Merged. -- Mod Staff]
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Kevin Glenn would have been GC champion (likely ) but for his broken hand in the WDF with the Bombers.

Hufnagel and Dickenson have no qualms about his skills and have said so - not just blowing smoke.

He's HOF for sure and not to do with the number of teams.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Glenn in the CFHOF? I think that's lowering the bar from guys who were truly great or dominant at their position at some point in their careers to being merely average to good for extended periods but fortunate enough to play a long time.

Kevin Glenn's career:
CFL Years - 17 and counting
Grey Cups - 0
MOP Awards - 0
MOP Runner-Up - 1
CFL All-Star Awards - 0
CFL Divisional All-Star Awards - 1
CFL Passing Leader - 1

Note: The MOP Runner- Up, Divisional All-Star and Passing Leader acknowledgements all came in the same year, 2007. 2007 was a very weird season for QBs and one almost devoid of typical MOP type performances. Glenn (18 GP) and eventual MOP Kerry Joseph (17GP) were the only regular starters to play more than Henry Burris' 14 games. Ray and Calvillo played 13 and Dickenson only 5. Out of Burris, Ray, Calvillo and Dickenson only Dickenson missed action the previous season and he missed only 1 game. Joseph and Glenn deserved the accolades. Their performances were career bests for them but there was a lack of competition for awards due to them being the only remotely healthy QBs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Lowers the bar? That seems a bit strong. A quick cursory inspection brought forth these names.

Dan Griffing - Class of 65
Eddie James - Class of 63
Eric Lapointe - Class of 2012
Leroy Blugh - Class of 2015

If you are willing to go back further, you will find lots of members who really make you wonder what they were nominated for. The point being, that awards, not withstanding, Glenn has managed to be play an active contributory role for just about every team in the league. That means that every team at some point or another thought that he could contribute in a major way. And he has done it in the modern era at a position that is not always known for being kind to the body. His lack of a grey cup is hardly something that he stands alone in (cough Milt Stegal). If nothing else, he is famous for being part of every team. There are lots of guys in there with multiple awards, grey cups etc. I don't think there is one that can lay claim to having been part of every team in the league. That makes him unique and deserving to be the HOF. It need not be anytime soon but he is just as deserving as many of the players currently in there.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.