Jennings contract re-structured

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm
Speculation over that has pegged just about every loose QB as going to the Lions. Some hinted that the Riders pulled the trigger on Collaros because BC had expressed interest in him according to one of their regulars who claims to have "connections" in Calgary. They figure Adams could wind up here. They think BC will be interested in Durant too and Manziel could wind up here. I think some also had BC tagged as a possible landing place for Glenn when he was released.
They have a very lively forum over there!

As CardiacKid pointed out, it is unlikely that Collaros, Bridge and Adams are all on their roster next year, and I would bet that Adams will be the odd man out. And, as I pointed out, we can't go into the season with Jennings and Alex Ross as our two experienced qbs. It is almost certain that we will bring someone else in.

I would not be surprised at all if we kicked the tires on Collaros. Durant could be a possibility as well as insurance in case Lulay doesn't return. But I think that Adams is the best fit.
One thing for consideration with Adams is salary. Remember that he became an Alouette because he wanted a shorter term deal out of BC. The way I read the tea leaves then was that he might settle for the usual 2+1 deal Wally demands of rookie QBs if the Lions were willing to compensate him more than was the norm for such a player. He then wound up in Montreal where Popp not only surrendered a 1st but also quickly got him signed to something more than the 1+1 indications were he wanted from BC. I think Adams is making a lot more than a QB normally would get from his first CFL contract. If Lulay does return and is back early Adams might be too costly to keep at 3rd string.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
squishy35
Legend

Ross has not had any significant playing time so far in his brief career. He now has one year under his belt with incredible mentorship from the likes of Lulay and Jennings. He will be one to watch closely in TC and pre-season to see if he respond meaningfully in his sophomore year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

squishy35 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:50 am
Ross has not had any significant playing time so far in his brief career. He now has one year under his belt with incredible mentorship from the likes of Lulay and Jennings. He will be one to watch closely in TC and pre-season to see if he respond meaningfully in his sophomore year.
In training camp Wally will expect him to show progress over last year. While he won't have playing time to compare they will be able to tell a lot by the way he conducts himself in meetings, shows better grasp of the offense, fundamentals and how he performs in drills and practice. If he does show progress he stands a good chance to stick like DeMarco did. If he looks to have flattened off already he will follow the path out of town like others such as Champion, Hart and McGhee.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm
In training camp Wally will expect him to show progress over last year. While he won't have playing time to compare they will be able to tell a lot by the way he conducts himself in meetings, shows better grasp of the offense, fundamentals and how he performs in drills and practice. If he does show progress he stands a good chance to stick like DeMarco did. If he looks to have flattened off already he will follow the path out of town like others such as Champion, Hart and McGhee.
Yes, show improvement or make room for the next guy. I just looked through my rosters for opening day of training camp for the past eight years. It's been a while since the Lions had a No. 3 QB who amounted to anything.

2017 Keith Price
2016 Greg McGhee
2015 Travis Partridge
2014 John Beck
2013 Joey Elliott
2012 Corey Leonard
2011 Mike Reilly
2010 Travis Lulay

Alex Ross was fourth on the depth chart at the start of camp last year and beat out Keith Price to stick with the team. That's a common pattern. Jonathon Jennings started out as No. 6 QB at OTAs in 2015 but jumped to No. 4 at the start of training camp.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 pm
DanoT wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 pm
Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:36 pm
How does an "incentive loaded" contract affect your salary cap if the player hits all the targets? So the Lions save cap space now, spend it on other positions and Jennings has a great year. Then he is due all that bonus money and Lions wind up going over their cap. Right?
Here is my guess for how I think it would likely work:
You have a budget for the 3 QB positions so you sign Jennings to a base salary = 2nd string money and then you sign Lulay (or another QB if Lulay is still rehabbing ) to a similar contract. You then pay bonus $ equivalent to 1st string QB money to whoever ends up with the most game day snaps. So no SMS overages. One guy might get full starter salary if he plays every game or they might split the $ if they share playing time.
Yes. In the simplest example, the team could pay Jennings and Lulay a base salary, plus $10,000 for each game they start. That's a fixed incentive cost of $180,000 no matter how many games they each start.
So in reality an "incentive based contract" doesn't work unless you either have your back accept a similar deal, or sign for a small enough amount that you can afford to pay your starter all the bonus money he might earn. This could be one of the reasons why Lulay is still unsigned with free agency looming.