Jennings contract re-structured

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9265
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 pm

maxlion wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:20 pm
There is some speculation over at Riderfans that the Lions might have some interest in Vernon Adams. Personally, I think this could be a good fit. I don't think we can count on Lulay being ready to start the year, and we don't have anyone else on the roster who could step in for Jennings if needed. We will definitely need to pick someone up with a bit of pro experience and ability before training camp.

Adams is still young and has potential. He would likely welcome the chance to be a backup and potentially see some real playing time if Jennings falters again. Between him and Jennings, we could have a strong QB base for the next few years. I'd be happy to see him back.
That would be full circle for Adams, who was on B.C.'s neg list when he was traded to Montreal for a 2017 first-round draft choice that turned out to be Danny Vandervoort, I believe.

I would much rather go into the season with Adams than Mitchell Gale as a backup to Jennings. Adams could stay on the roster as the No. 3 QB if and when Lulay returns, and would be a potential heir to Jennings down the road.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

User avatar
Gridiron Ernie
Starter
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 4:36 pm
Location: within earshot of the ghosts of Empire Field

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 pm

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 pm
maxlion wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:20 pm
There is some speculation over at Riderfans that the Lions might have some interest in Vernon Adams. Personally, I think this could be a good fit. I don't think we can count on Lulay being ready to start the year, and we don't have anyone else on the roster who could step in for Jennings if needed. We will definitely need to pick someone up with a bit of pro experience and ability before training camp.

Adams is still young and has potential. He would likely welcome the chance to be a backup and potentially see some real playing time if Jennings falters again. Between him and Jennings, we could have a strong QB base for the next few years. I'd be happy to see him back.
That would be full circle for Adams, who was on B.C.'s neg list when he was traded to Montreal for a 2017 first-round draft choice that turned out to be Danny Vandervoort, I believe.

I would much rather go into the season with Adams than Mitchell Gale as a backup to Jennings. Adams could stay on the roster as the No. 3 QB if and when Lulay returns, and would be a potential heir to Jennings down the road.
Interesting speculation, fellows. However, young 25-year-old Alex Ross, who was consistently listed as the #2 (ahead of Gale at #3) in the depth charts last year, at least later in the season, might have a little something to say about that, come training camp. I've never heard anyone from the Lions organization suggest he's out of the picture. Plus he's three years younger than Gale, and the same age as Vernon Adams. I wouldn't know how the two youngsters compare, who has the most upside or most experience (Ross or Adams), but just saying -- Ross is here.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9265
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:18 pm

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:23 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 pm
I would much rather go into the season with Adams than Mitchell Gale as a backup to Jennings. Adams could stay on the roster as the No. 3 QB if and when Lulay returns, and would be a potential heir to Jennings down the road.
Interesting speculation, fellows. However, young 25-year-old Alex Ross, who was consistently listed as the #2 (ahead of Gale at #3) in the depth charts last year, at least later in the season, might have a little something to say about that, come training camp. I've never heard anyone from the Lions organization suggest he's out of the picture. Plus he's three years younger than Gale, and the same age as Vernon Adams. I wouldn't know how the two youngsters compare, who has the most upside or most experience (Ross or Adams), but just saying -- Ross is here.
Hmm. I forgot about Ross, perhaps because his rookie season was so forgettable.

Passing: 5 of 12 (42%) for 82 yards, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, QB rating -4.2 (Yes, he has a negative QB rating)
Rushing: 6 carries for 14 yards (2.3 yard avg.), 1 TD

Adams at least has put up some numbers in his two years in the league.

Passing: 43 of 78 (55%) for 583 yards, 4 TDs, 1 INT, QB rating 92.9 (2016 number, when he saw the most action)
Rushing: 49 carries for 154 yards (3.1 yard avg.), 5 TDs
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

User avatar
Gridiron Ernie
Starter
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 4:36 pm
Location: within earshot of the ghosts of Empire Field

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Thanks B.C.FAN -- I was kinda' hoping you'd jump in with the statistical comparison which I was wondering aloud about. Indeed, Ross looks miserable on paper doesn't he?! Forgettable indeed. I knew he'd seen minimal action but wouldn't have known his numbers were so bleak. That said, for whatever reasons, he was repeatedly listed ahead of Gale in the depth charts -- so what does that say about Gale? Nothing that we don't all likely already conclude, i.e. Gale is not a true prospect. As for Vernon Adams, I am admittedly surprised to see (via your stats) he'd ever been as active as that -- but I've a poor memory -- I find 2017 already fading fast, and 2016, well, it's gone from my mind completely. I'd be happy to see him come full circle, back in the den.

User avatar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer
Posts: 8038
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:56 pm

Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 am

Adams would be an upgrade over Ross just for the reason that he has more experience. It's hard to say anything about Ross as he was given limited chances.

We do know that for backups with Wally's QB factory history - it's progress in the second year significantly or go. BUT that QB factory has not been working like it had in his glory days.

Jarius will surely have input on that back up situation.

Adams could be deemed expendable if Collaros returns to form and we all saw what Bridge can do last year.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 9265
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am

Jarious worked with Adams in Saskatchewan last year so he should know his abilities.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

User avatar
CardiacKid
Legend
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 am
Location: Under Christmas Hill, Saanich

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 am

I have to believe one QB is going to be the odd-man out in Riderville. To have Adams, Bridge and Collaros all under contract once the season starts is potentially an embarrassment of riches.

The jury might still be out on Bridge and Adams as annointed starters and which Zac Collaros appears next season is anyone's guess. But the upside is pretty immense.

I can't see how the Riders could afford to keep all three, even with Collaros restructuring his deal.

User avatar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5351
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: Living in PG and on the road for work the next 2 years; Adams Lake, Castlegar and points beyond

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm

maxlion wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:20 pm
There is some speculation over at Riderfans that the Lions might have some interest in Vernon Adams. Personally, I think this could be a good fit. I don't think we can count on Lulay being ready to start the year, and we don't have anyone else on the roster who could step in for Jennings if needed. We will definitely need to pick someone up with a bit of pro experience and ability before training camp.

Adams is still young and has potential. He would likely welcome the chance to be a backup and potentially see some real playing time if Jennings falters again. Between him and Jennings, we could have a strong QB base for the next few years. I'd be happy to see him back.
Speculation over that has pegged just about every loose QB as going to the Lions. Some hinted that the Riders pulled the trigger on Collaros because BC had expressed interest in him according to one of their regulars who claims to have "connections" in Calgary. They figure Adams could wind up here. They think BC will be interested in Durant too and Manziel could wind up here. I think some also had BC tagged as a possible landing place for Glenn when he was released.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.

maxlion
Champion
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 am

Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm
Speculation over that has pegged just about every loose QB as going to the Lions. Some hinted that the Riders pulled the trigger on Collaros because BC had expressed interest in him according to one of their regulars who claims to have "connections" in Calgary. They figure Adams could wind up here. They think BC will be interested in Durant too and Manziel could wind up here. I think some also had BC tagged as a possible landing place for Glenn when he was released.
They have a very lively forum over there!

As CardiacKid pointed out, it is unlikely that Collaros, Bridge and Adams are all on their roster next year, and I would bet that Adams will be the odd man out. And, as I pointed out, we can't go into the season with Jennings and Alex Ross as our two experienced qbs. It is almost certain that we will bring someone else in.

I would not be surprised at all if we kicked the tires on Collaros. Durant could be a possibility as well as insurance in case Lulay doesn't return. But I think that Adams is the best fit.

User avatar
CardiacKid
Legend
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:46 am
Location: Under Christmas Hill, Saanich

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 pm

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm
Speculation over that has pegged just about every loose QB as going to the Lions. Some hinted that the Riders pulled the trigger on Collaros because BC had expressed interest in him according to one of their regulars who claims to have "connections" in Calgary. They figure Adams could wind up here. They think BC will be interested in Durant too and Manziel could wind up here. I think some also had BC tagged as a possible landing place for Glenn when he was released.
They have a very lively forum over there!

As CardiacKid pointed out, it is unlikely that Collaros, Bridge and Adams are all on their roster next year, and I would bet that Adams will be the odd man out. And, as I pointed out, we can't go into the season with Jennings and Alex Ross as our two experienced qbs. It is almost certain that we will bring someone else in.

I would not be surprised at all if we kicked the tires on Collaros. Durant could be a possibility as well as insurance in case Lulay doesn't return. But I think that Adams is the best fit.
Let’s keep hoping Lulay comes back and everything else is academic :cr: :wink:

Here’s a sidebar question...for a player in a situation like Lulay where they are undergoing extensive rehab but also on the bubble of free agency, what are their medical protections? I am not suggesting this will be happening to Lulay but if a player has their contract expire and no other team signs them, where will they continue treatment? And especially if they are Internationals?

maxlion
Champion
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 am

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 pm

If Lulay returns in time for training camp, then all is well for 2018 at least. But if it is halfway through the season, we better have a better backup than Alex Ross. Even if Lulay does return, it may only be for a year, and Jennings is no sure thing.

User avatar
David
2017 MVP
2017 MVP
Posts: 7815
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:23 am
Location: Vancouver (Kitsilano)

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:40 pm

maxlion wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 pm
If Lulay returns in time for training camp, then all is well for 2018 at least. But if it is halfway through the season, we better have a better backup than Alex Ross. Even if Lulay does return, it may only be for a year, and Jennings is no sure thing.
Not sure if you listened to TSN1040's interview with Travis yesterday, but it didn't give me the warm and fuzzies about his rehab progress. I know it's only January and there's a long way to go to the start of the season, but it doesn't appear to me that he'll be ready to go for the season opener and this has me concerned. This is not a prognosis. This is just a gut feel based on a radio interview, FWIW.

You know Travis. The guy is more optimistic than a sailor on shore leave. But he sounded somewhat frustrated about the state of his knee (good days and bad) and really couched his words as to his progress and prognosis. He was on with Sekeres and Price (1/17/18).


DH :cool:
Please sell the team, Mr. Braley.

User avatar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5351
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: Living in PG and on the road for work the next 2 years; Adams Lake, Castlegar and points beyond

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:51 am

David wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:40 pm
maxlion wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 pm
If Lulay returns in time for training camp, then all is well for 2018 at least. But if it is halfway through the season, we better have a better backup than Alex Ross. Even if Lulay does return, it may only be for a year, and Jennings is no sure thing.
Not sure if you listened to TSN1040's interview with Travis yesterday, but it didn't give me the warm and fuzzies about his rehab progress. I know it's only January and there's a long way to go to the start of the season, but it doesn't appear to me that he'll be ready to go for the season opener and this has me concerned. This is not a prognosis. This is just a gut feel based on a radio interview, FWIW.

You know Travis. The guy is more optimistic than a sailor on shore leave. But he sounded somewhat frustrated about the state of his knee (good days and bad) and really couched his words as to his progress and prognosis. He was on with Sekeres and Price (1/17/18).


DH :cool:
I peg Lulay's return at mid-July. As he said in the 3rdDown interview recovery time is 9-10 months. Andy Fantuz suffered his ACL injury on Oct 28th in 2016. He returned to the PR in mid-September and suited up September 29th, 11 months almost to the day after his injury. If Lulay is on the 10 month cycle he would be ready to return to practice around Canada Day. If he turns out to be on the same timeline as Fantuz it might be more like mid-July returning to play around Week 8 which is the Lions' 6th game. He suffered his injury almost exactly 2 months earlier in the season than Fantuz did. BC benefits in that regard from having 2 byes in the first 7 weeks.
Last edited by Hambone on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.

User avatar
squishy35
Legend
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:53 pm
Location: Kamloops, B.C.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:53 am

David wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:40 pm
maxlion wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:57 pm
If Lulay returns in time for training camp, then all is well for 2018 at least. But if it is halfway through the season, we better have a better backup than Alex Ross. Even if Lulay does return, it may only be for a year, and Jennings is no sure thing.


You know Travis. The guy is more optimistic than a sailor on shore leave.


DH :cool:
:rotf:

User avatar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5351
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:25 pm
Location: Living in PG and on the road for work the next 2 years; Adams Lake, Castlegar and points beyond

Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 am

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 pm
maxlion wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:58 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm
Speculation over that has pegged just about every loose QB as going to the Lions. Some hinted that the Riders pulled the trigger on Collaros because BC had expressed interest in him according to one of their regulars who claims to have "connections" in Calgary. They figure Adams could wind up here. They think BC will be interested in Durant too and Manziel could wind up here. I think some also had BC tagged as a possible landing place for Glenn when he was released.
They have a very lively forum over there!

As CardiacKid pointed out, it is unlikely that Collaros, Bridge and Adams are all on their roster next year, and I would bet that Adams will be the odd man out. And, as I pointed out, we can't go into the season with Jennings and Alex Ross as our two experienced qbs. It is almost certain that we will bring someone else in.

I would not be surprised at all if we kicked the tires on Collaros. Durant could be a possibility as well as insurance in case Lulay doesn't return. But I think that Adams is the best fit.
Let’s keep hoping Lulay comes back and everything else is academic :cr: :wink:

Here’s a sidebar question...for a player in a situation like Lulay where they are undergoing extensive rehab but also on the bubble of free agency, what are their medical protections? I am not suggesting this will be happening to Lulay but if a player has their contract expire and no other team signs them, where will they continue treatment? And especially if they are Internationals?
I don't have all the CBA, By-Laws and Constitutions stuff with me but I think I recall that at minimum for injured players whose contracts expire while injured their medical coverages continue until at least the 1st day of training camp. Honestly though I can't imagine this far down the road in the evolution of Collective Bargaining between the CFL and CFLPA that protections for players in that situation would be left out in the cold. While they wouldn't be compensated for salary because technically they wouldn't have any to earn I would think they would remain on some form of insurance to deal with continued treatment.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest