Commissioner clears Manziel for CFL eligibility

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/12/28/cfl-says- ... t-manziel/

Looks like Manziel will likely be in the CFL this coming season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Let the negotiations begin. I suspect Manziel will end up in Montreal with new head coach Mike Sherman, who recruited him to Texas A&M. Hamilton will need to re-sign Jeremiah Masoli first. I see June Jones' "best player to ever play up here" comment as nothing more than an attempt to hype Manziel's trade value.
squishy35
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 am
Let the negotiations begin. I suspect Manziel will end up in Montreal with new head coach Mike Sherman, who recruited him to Texas A&M. Hamilton will need to re-sign Jeremiah Masoli first. I see June Jones' "best player to ever play up here" comment as nothing more than an attempt to hype Manziel's trade value.
I have to think that Jones will endeavor to sign Manziel. He seems to have a strong past relationship with him. Likely he will let Masoli go to free agency and try to sign Collaros to a lesser contract.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:06 am
Without digging through the Internet it's hard for me to guess what Sherman thinks of Manziel. True he was the coach of record when JFootball committed to the Aggies and he was the coach in his first year there. However Manziel never played a down until after Sherman was gone. Did that one year confirm to Sherman what he saw when recruiting JF or did it serve to raise questions?

One thing is for sure though. The Franklin trade was like the top light on the CFL QB carousel starting tower flickering on. With this announcement all green lights are on. Could be one of the wildest rides in a few years.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

We will be watching with interest. Pumped? Nah ...

In that beach photo he looked to be in terrible shape.

The next Doug Flutie? One has doubts. Personality-wise, Flutie was a choirboy compared to Manziel.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Is that Johnny or a stand in? LOL

Pencil arms. The gut of an unemployed beer drinker.

He had best get into the gymnasium.

DOCvbYrX0AAOB1K.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
squishy35
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:02 pm
Is that Johnny or a stand in? LOL

Pencil arms. The gut of an unemployed beer drinker.

He had best get into the gymnasium.

DOCvbYrX0AAOB1K.jpg
Good Lord........ what the hell happened?
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, even it he starts now, you have to wonder what kind of shape he might be able to get into even for the start of training camp? That is assuming that he is currently as the picture depicts. If he has already started training then maybe but it is far harder to get back what was lost than to maintain it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

IMO, Manziel is currently a joke, and his CFL adventure won't end well. HAM has exclusive rights for only another 10 days. Let's see if June Jones backs up his extravagant (and ridiculous) claim by signing him.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

At this time of year, June Jones has nothing to lose by signing Manziel. Other than maybe a token signing bonus, Johnny Football won't cost the TiCats a dime until training camp. That's 5 months of free media attention. 5 months for @TiCats to show up on the Twitter feeds of hundreds of free agent football players. Maybe it will help sell some early bird season tickets?

Do I think Manziel will ever play a regular season game in the CFL? Not likely. If he had any talent left someone would have given him at least a try out by now. Either that, or even the NFL who sets their bar so low that any domestic abuser, dog fighter, rapist, or murderer with a smattering of ability gets to play has decided that Johnny Football is too screwed up to be part of their league. Remember this is a guy who got suspended for the first 4 games of 2017 when he was not even on a roster!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The parallel to Manziel has to be Michael Sam (the Als signing of the first openly gay pro player).

The ALS were so focused on this barrier it turned out they failed to actually see the lack of football skills and desire that Sam possessed. I recall reading about the whispers from Als player who were 'wtf, is this guy really this big college star?' They were whispers in TC as they didn't dare get accused of being homophobic.

I am turned off by June Jones' disparaging players who've distinguished themselves in the CFL and NFL by saying Manziel would be the best player ever to come up here.

This is Manziel's NFL career:
"Everything crashed once he reached the NFL with the Browns.

Manziel made eight starts in two years, but was fined for an inappropriate gesture, demoted for partying in Texas during a bye week and then filmed partying in Las Vegas when he was supposed to be in Cleveland recovering from a concussion during the last week of his second season."
If the Ticats sign this guy I'd see it as a Kent Austin plot to get back as the HC as this guy has the potential to be little less than a distraction and experiment that will detract from Jones setting his team up for success.

If they were smart, they'd trade his rights to Kavis Reed - as I can't think of any other GM who'd take a chance on him except maybe Chris Jones.

Check out the Vanity Fair story where even his own father calls him a "druggie".

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/10 ... estruction

This is a real problem sort of guy who has never shown the willingness to learn his craft as a top pro QB. These guys have to know the plays.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Overrated in my opinion. May be great in college but has shown nothing in the pros to warrant all this attention.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

shades of andre ware..maybe
Every day that passes is one you can't get back