Bighill released by Saints, re-signed for 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dodger
Rookie

Just saw that Bighill was released last month anybody know if he was signed by any other team. I was surprised thought he was doing well there.
squishy35
Legend

dodger wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:42 pm
Just saw that Bighill was released last month anybody know if he was signed by any other team. I was surprised thought he was doing well there.
According to this article: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... ghill.html it looks like he was put on waivers to make room on the roster. He was expected to sign again. According to Wiki.... he is back on the practice roster.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think Bighill returns to the CFL next season. Who he returns with though is a big question. I see BC as a longshot mostly for cap reasons. Awe has emerged. Jennings gets a big raise. Hervey has talked about Lulay returning. Hervey talks of rebuilding both lines. That may come at an SMS cost too. This could be the year Boyko finally arrives. He's now toiled on NFL PRs for 3 seasons and not played a game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I agree the Lions have no room for Bighill under the cap. Awe is much cheaper and was dominant when he was activated.

As for Boyko, he was activated by the Chargers for the first time this week and was listed on the depth chart as third-string left guard today against the Jets.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm
I agree the Lions have no room for Bighill under the cap. Awe is much cheaper and was dominant when he was activated.

As for Boyko, he was activated by the Chargers for the first time this week and was listed on the depth chart as third-string left guard today against the Jets.
Does that mean the 3-year limit of residing on a NFL practice roster gets reset back to zero?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Nice. Santa came early for Boyko. That's like a $30K Christmas bonus to get a game cheque instead of PR pay.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:58 pm
Does that mean the 3-year limit of residing on a NFL practice roster gets reset back to zero?
No, spending at least six weeks on a practice squad in any season counts as a full season of eligibility, and I believe this is Boyko’s third and final season of practice squad eligibility. Next year he needs to make an NFL active roster or be released.
VictoriaFan
Starter

I saw Biggy on the sideline during the Saints game today so I assume he's still on the practice squad
Hambone
Hall of Famer

VictoriaFan wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:42 pm
I saw Biggy on the sideline during the Saints game today so I assume he's still on the practice squad
Yes he is listed on their PR again. The link Squishy offered earlier indicated he would be re-signed to the PR after he was last released after being activated. When I looked using the mobile website from my Blackberry just before Christmas he wasn't listed on the PR nor could I find a transaction showing him being signed to the PR. But checking into their full website it shows him signing to the PR on November 22nd. I assume he's been on the PR ever since.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Is this basically been his season? Stats here:

http://www.nfl.com/player/adambighill/2558295/profile

Looks like it was a total of 3 GP and 1 tackle in Weeks 1, 6 and 11 and then the OT W. They lost G1 and won the others.
Bighill played six special teams snaps in the 34-31 overtime win over Washington. He was also available as a backup on defense with A.J. Klein (ankle) inactive.
Interesting if he'd want to return to the CFL or keep pursuing the dream down south? The latter for some of these guys is a huge motivator as that's home and a life time dream. Others who come to the CFL recognize that it's decent pay (IF they're like he was here - a bit of a star) and that stability and a nice place to live and raise a family is preferred to the instability of pursuing the dream down south.

The Lions might take a pass given their current needs on the D and O lines.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Biggie did OK financially. 13 weeks on PR + 3 game cheques x exchange rate comes out to around $220K in loonies. Probably close to a wash with his BC salary. I think he'll see if there are any other NFL opportunities before making a final decision. Saints might be his best chance. However being another year older won't play in his favour. On the plus side he didn't accrue a year of service so he would be eligible to sign for rookie min which goes from $465K to $480K in 2018. Had he accrued 1 year of service min would've bumped to $555K. That extra $75K could make a difference. Regardless I think he'd be in a situation where the PR is not an option. Using a PR spot to "develop" a 30 year old LB for a second season can't be justified. He'll be back in the CFL in 2018 IMO. Only question is where?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Would love to see him back as a Lion.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:36 pm
Would love to see him back as a Lion.
Aren't fans leaning to no Biggie and putting that money on D Line and O Line?

It seems we've had great LBs but that just means they make a lot of tackles if the D Line isn't at the top of their game.

Wally might take him in a flash thinking you can never have too many top LBs but Hervey might want to focus on the line.

As Hambone says, he has made some decent coin and at his age maybe he'll return to the CFL. There must have been a week to week level of uncertainty for him even though the upside is likely that he's not all beaten - and uncertainly for him and family could lead to the CFL. Single guys likely care a lot less of the certainty.

The other thing he might likely think about is if he's the guy they cut and bring back to the PR is that they likely think he's a low risk guy to get picked up given that the NFL are size matters sorts.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think Bighill's wife is from Vancouver, so if he returns to the CFL......
Hambone
Hall of Famer

With the emergence of Awe I think a return of Biggie is highly improbable. A reunion of 56 + 44 = 100 just doesn't seem possible for obvious SMS reasons especially considering QB costs are going up if they want to re-sign Lulay. There's no room for SolE, BigE and AwE. As much as I'd love to see the return of 100 I think the only way they can bring back 44 is to shift him to MAC and deal 56. It's unfortunate but I think that's the reality.