Bighill released by Saints, re-signed for 2018

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

When we last won the Grey Cup in 2011, it was our defensive line that played the most important role in that successful season. Aaron Hunt and Khalif Mitchell were CFL All-Stars and Brent Johnson, Khareem Smith, Eric Taylor and Keron Willliams rounded out an outstanding defensive line.

In 2006, our Leos defense, once again, was the key to that victory and our defensive line played the prominent role with Brent Johnson, Aaron Hunt, Tyrone Williams, Nautyn McKay-Loescher, and Ricky Foley as our defensive linemen.

In our 2000 Grey Cup win, it was Herman Smith, Noah Cantor, Eric England, and Cameron Legault. In 1994 Doug Peterson, Glenn Scrivener, Dave Chaytors, Andrew Stewart, and Kent Warnock were stalwarts.

In 1985 it was James 'Quick Parker, Mike Grey, Nick Hebeler, and Rick Klassen.

Going back to 1964, when we had Dick Fouts, Emery Barnes, Mike Cacic, Gus Kasapis, and Mike Martin as our Head Hunters, the defensive line has always been a key to having a championship season.

We need changes to our defensive line for 2018 if we want to be playing in the Big Dance. Wally did not make the defensive line an important enough focus for 2017.

Ed Hervey has made defensive line improvement a priority for 2018. His focus on our defensive line and offensive line is a good start. We gave up the most sacks in the CFL in 2017. Unfortunately Dorazio was retained. If we want good quarterback play in 2018, it begins with our offensive line play.

That our Leos finished 3rd in the CFL in passing yards, while giving up the most sacks in the CFL was surprising. But you don't get to play in the Big Dance when your quarterback is a human piñata.

But, even more importantly, defenses win championships and it all starts up front. In 2017, we finished 7th in the CFL in quarterback sacks with 28. Toronto and Calgary finished tied for 1st in the CFL in quarterback sacks in 2017 and both competed in the Grey Cup game.

The Argos defensive line in 2017 was made up of defensive ends Victor Butler and Sean Lemon along with Jeffrey Finley, Cleyon Laing, Justin Tuggle, Dylan Wynn, Linden Gaydosh, and Cameron Walker. Butler finished 2nd in the CFL in quarterback sacks and Lemon tied for 3rd.

Craig Roh was our 2017 sack leader with 7 sacks. David Menard finished 2nd on our Leos with 5 sacks while only getting occasional rotational reps.

Defensive line changes are needed and need to be a focus for 2018.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Great post about past defensive lines Blitz but I am not sure what it has to do with Bighill unless you think he can play DE. :shock:

I am a big fan of the Lions new (and former) D line coach, Randy Melvin, so this is a great start to the rebuild.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:49 am
Great post about past defensive lines Blitz but I am not sure what it has to do with Bighill unless you think he can play DE. :shock:

I am a big fan of the Lions new (and former) D line coach, Randy Melvin, so this is a great start to the rebuild.
What I think Blitz is addressing are reasons why a talent like Bighill might not be a priority for BC IF Adam Bighill decides to return to the CFL where his size isn't a priority for them.

That is unless - Bighill - could play DE or Guard or Tackle on the O line. lol.

He's clearly a talented guy and like a Doug Flutie his size is always a coaching staff issue in the gargantuan NFL where the field is a tad narrower.

My sense is that the new GM means what he says and while a Wally as GM might take him as a simply he's outstanding, the new GM will have none of that thinking as he's made it clear they're looking at the D Line and the O Line.

I hope he comes to the CFL and if BC were in differing circumstances it'd be great to see him come back to BC where he's a good fit.

I could see Esks signing him.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

I would absolutely bring Bighill back to BC. He and Solly together gave the Lions a huge competitive advantage. Awe has been good too, and if he's still cheap we should keep all 3. It would help with special teams, you could rotate them to keep everyone fresh, and even put all 3 in there on certain blitz packages.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if the Lions would consider converting Micah Awe into a rush end ? Lions have done this before converting a linebacker into a rush end.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:41 pm
Wonder if the Lions would consider converting Micah Awe into a rush end ? Lions have done this before converting a linebacker into a rush end.
Interesting question. Are you referring to a certain Cam Wake? When he was with BC the 2008 CFL Facts N Figs listed him at 6'1" 241. Miami's website lists him now as 6'3" 263. I'm not sure what the real numbers were when he was here, probably somewhere in between. Awe lists at only 6' 220. He'd probably have to put on a good 20 pounds to play rush end. Even watching Bazzie after he returned last year I saw him frequently getting manhandled at 228 If the tackle successfully engaged with Bazzie he got nowhere fast.

Wake had a unique blend of first step burst/speed and power and maintained that after adding more weight in the NFL. He could beat a blocker with either one. Bazzie seems to lack the power to break out of a block if the OL engages him. Does Awe have the explosiveness needed to be an effective rush end? And if he does can he add another 20 pounds of bulk without losing that? Some guys have the body type to add bulk and maintain their speed and agility. A good many find they lose a step and become less effective when they bulk up.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There was another linebacker that the Lions converted into a rush end. I can't recall his name at the moment. Greg Stumon ?
The_Pauser
Legend

Bighill has been re-signed by the Saints for another year (let's update the thread title for accuracy).
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm
There was another linebacker that the Lions converted into a rush end. I can't recall his name at the moment. Greg Stumon ?
Stumon actually did both. He was named both CFL West and CFL All-Star DE in 1987. The next year he took the same honours for OLB.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.