Washington is back as DC. Melvin as DL coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

I don't recall who was the coach that wanted lighter, more mobile D-linemen... an approach that has not workred. While it makes jit easier to drop bacl into coverage, there is no pressure on opposing QB's. I'm hoping Melvin subscribes to the large and strength tackle approach....
pennw
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 pm
pennw wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:51 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:21 pm
Might we see Washington drop 12 men into coverage. 3 man rush isn't working.
The Chris Jones defence , is the master of-the the 3 man rush . BC rushes more than most of the others , contrary to popular opinion.
Chris Jones has the massive benefit of having a guy like Willie Jefferson at his disposal. The guy roams the entire length of the line, will blitz from anywhere, will drop back into coverage and be effective at it.

He has to be considered amongst the most, if not the most athletic player in the league. Couple that with his formidable size and wing span, he is a true force.

We talk about guys like Bryan Burnham having a large catch radius, Willie Jefferson has a large havoc radius.
Does he not also have the benefit of having former first round draft pick , the great Ese Ajufo Mrabure as one the 3 rushers on the line ?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:45 pm
I don't recall who was the coach that wanted lighter, more mobile D-linemen... an approach that has not workred. While it makes jit easier to drop bacl into coverage, there is no pressure on opposing QB's. I'm hoping Melvin subscribes to the large and strength tackle approach....
It won't be up to him but I suspect you'll see the influence of the GM on who comes in and he likes bigger players who can do the job.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Dusty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:45 pm
Pretty much all teams operate with the lighter, more mobile DL approach these days. Nobody has a tandem like BC did with Mitchell and Taylor. If both were still playing they might be 2 of the biggest 3 or 4 DL in the league. Edmonton known for having an excellent DL has nobody over 300 and only 1 or 2 over about 285. In Calgary the only guy tipping the scales above 285 is Randy Colling the 27 year old former Arena Leaguer they took a chanceon with a 1st round pick this year. He's 318 but only saw limited action. He didn't suit up until the 2nd last game of the year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:55 am
Does he not also have the benefit of having former first round draft pick , the great Ese Ajufo Mrabure as one the 3 rushers on the line ?
Saskatchewan also has ex-Lion A.C. Leonard, who was brought in by Jeff Tedford in 2015 as a 250-lb. tight end with 4.5-second speed, and was later picked up off the scrap heap by Chris Jones and converted to a pass-rushing defensive end. Leonard finished 2017 with 24 QB pressures, which was as many as the top two Lions combined.
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:49 pm
pennw wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:55 am
Saskatchewan also has ex-Lion A.C. Leonard, who was brought in by Jeff Tedford in 2015 as a 250-lb. tight end with 4.5-second speed, and was later picked up off the scrap heap by Chris Jones and converted to a pass-rushing defensive end. Leonard finished 2017 with 24 QB pressures, which was as many as the top two Lions combined.
We could have just kept these guys and our pass rushing woes would be solved .
leo4life
All Star

Will we be a "aggressive attacking defense"? Hear it every season under Washington unless its Bouno pulling the strings...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:24 pm
Will we be a "aggressive attacking defense"? Hear it every season under Washington unless its Bouno pulling the strings...
Maybe next year when we will have a new head coach.
leo4life
All Star

New HC likely be Washington but he needs a good season imho
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:16 pm
New HC likely be Washington but he needs a good season imho
Hervey will be choosing his own head coach. If Buono was the General Manager I would say it's a pretty safe bet that the new coach will come from within the organization.
leo4life
All Star

Agree hope Hervey brings a fresh face for HC in 2019...Lapolice would be a great choice or Claybrooks
Dusty
Champion

I think it will be very interesting to see how Sherman in Montreal does this year. Kavis kinda went out of the box to bring in a non-CFL coach as HC (as did Hamilton). If Sherman does poorly, there may be more impetus to hire within the existing CFL experienced coaches. If Sherman does well, there may be more impetus to hire a HC outside the league.
leo4life
All Star

Good point Dusty the CFL is in deperate need of new generation of HC cordinaters etc...were slowly seeing it happen but if Mike Sherman can have succes then it will open doors for more to follow imho