Montreal Names Mike Sherman as New Coach

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sherman is a real long shot and if he's not given time to learn the CFL game (or have coaches who know it) and to get the right players and culture in place, he'll be another mid season casualty. The Als' owners aren't very good at waiting to year end. I still can't figure out how Tom Higgins got fired there. I do know from the media he wasn't Popp's pick so that might have something do with it.

Comparing Sherman to Trestman is good to one extent - he did take a while to learn the CFL game and was given time the first time up here.
But when it comes to the team Trestman got in Toronto, the comparisons aren't as good. Als got old and haven't a QB and Argos had Ricky Ray before the year got going.

Trestman and Popp in Toronto post GC win have both heaped praise on Barker and Milanovich for ridding the locker room the prior of the problems! Trestman said that when they arrived they knew they didn't have player problems with character and attitude as a result.

I don't think the new Als HC has anything more than an aging team that's had too many coaching changes in recent years.

Not sure where Nik Lewis is ending up - sounds like he meant retirement - but he'd be someone to get as REC and RB coach or somewhere on that staff as he's not like AC (meek and quiet) but prepared to speak up and he knows both young and older players. I really think that Lewis should be coaching somewhere as he knows the game and how it should be played - at every weight and size level... lol. He knows how to work with the brash and mouthy and the leaders on a team and what a winning culture has to be. He fits the brash from his early days and leadership - is what he gives in recent years. He's also got Stamp DNA in his blood stream (Huf and Dick'n).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy