Jeff Reinbold is baaaaack... ST coach.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:13 pm
cant stand the guy. totally hate this hire. they should have let Rita deck him
Not a big fan of Rita, but the whole thing was hilarious. It's pretty much the first thing I think of when Reinbold's name is mentioned.
David
Team Captain

almo89 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:41 am
Not a big fan of Rita, but the whole thing was hilarious. It's pretty much the first thing I think of when Reinbold's name is mentioned.
Funny, but when playing "word association" with Adam Rita, I think of former TEAM1040 (and later Whitecaps play-by-play announcer) Peter Schaad. He had this uncannily spot-on impersonation of Adam Rita that he would pull out on-air. It was this delightful concoction of a Hawaiian, a stoner, a Native guy, and Tommy Chong - all (hand-)rolled into one....that you would SWEAR was Adam Rita. When driving, I would have to pull the car over to the side of the road I was laughing so hard.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:20 pm
This is a terrific move for BC and clearly the new GM has already nudged Wally away from his comfort zone.

Anyone dissing this move given what happened to him as DC last year or how he was 20 years ago should do some reading on this guy as he's matured and is not that same person.

He's a brilliant ST coach and his failure as DC could hardly be laid at his door step. He's a class guy and a good coach.

And he brings trick plays.... which players like - a lot of long term BC Lions might have forgotten the fun you get from those things.

3 Down Nation says the Cats wanted him back. He was demoted from DC and his contract didn't allow the club to force him to work so he left for the rest of the year. IIRC he called Marc Trestman for advice and MT said don't take another role but move on.

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/19/forme ... b-c-lions/
I could not stand the way the Lions were exploited on tendencies seemingly at will of opposition Coaches. Reine bold will at least shore up the defensive aspect of that on ST's and provide some much needed attack on ST's.

Agree on this not being a Wally hire, something that this coaching staff has needed for several years, finally a spark. My only problem is this type of infusion is needed at the most important coaching position.

At least this a step in the right direction finally. Thank you Ed Hervey.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CFL games are won and lost on turnovers and big plays, and a lot of those pivotal plays occur on special teams.

In 2017 the Lions had the league's worst turnover ratio of minus-19 and they were 2-8 in games in which they lost the turnover battle. Everyone knows about Jonathon Jennings' league-leading 19 interceptions but 11 of the Lions' 42 turnovers were fumbles, including 2 blocked kicks.

The Lions also gave up a league-high 15 big plays on kick and punt returns, and they took 43 special teams penalties, second only to Montreal.

If the Lions can clean up their play on special teams next year, they can easily turn their record around.
almo89
Legend

David wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:43 am
almo89 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:41 am
Funny, but when playing "word association" with Adam Rita, I think of former TEAM1040 (and later Whitecaps play-by-play announcer) Peter Schaad. He had this uncannily spot-on impersonation of Adam Rita that he would pull out on-air. It was this delightful concoction of a Hawaiian, a stoner, a Native guy, and Tommy Chong - all (hand-)rolled into one....that you would SWEAR was Adam Rita. When driving, I would have to pull the car over to the side of the road I was laughing so hard.

Peter Schaad's impersonation of Adam Rita is amazing. I remember howling when I heard it the first time. Peter Schaad also does a great John McKeachie
Blitz
Team Captain

This is a good hire for this season.

Rinebold will bring passion and enthusiasm as well as experience to our special teams unit. Our Leos coaching staff will benefit from his approach.

We also have to realize that we are in a 'win now' philosophy with our Leos. This is Buono's last season as Head Coach. Therefore he is willing to do 'whatever' to win the Cup in 2018. If Buono was looking at the longer term, he would have hired a rookie ST coach and 'mentored' him in the "Wally Way' to become another sycophant..

A lot of things will likely go out the window this upcoming season. Jackson will get more freedom to run the offence. Rinebold will not have to tell Rainey to just 'run straight ahead'.

Ed Hervey is also not thinking long term. He has a two year contract and he needs to make an impression quickly, If new ownership happens at the end of this season.

Things are going to be different in 'Wally World' this season. That is a positive for the short term. The longer term repurcussions, in terms of personnel , are difficult to assess right now because we have not seen those decisions yet.

I always have thought, had Buono not decide to become a football coach, he would have been a very good dictator of a third world developing country. He would have looked good in epulats while being saluted by his minions. Statutes of himself would have been built in every village of the country, no matter the cost.

Buono's coaching philosophy is based on fear and control. I am more of a Don Matthews devotee. Matthews was a teacher and very positive overall.

Rinebold is a positive guy who will bring passion to a coaching staff that needs an injection of enthusiasm to offset Buono's dour approach.

Our special teams will be better in 2018. How much better, we will see next season. Chris Rainey finished last in the league in punt return average this season. How could we do worse?

Our Leos have a lot of talent in the skill positions for 2018, If Hervey can inject some talent to our offensive and defensive lines, we could have a very successful season. Dorazio and Washington's coaching will not allow that talent to flourish but if they just don't screw it up too badly, our skill position strength is good enough to get it done, if our offensive and defensive lines can improve.

Seattle made the same mistake the last two seasons as we did in B.C. They didn't focus on the trenches and signed big contracts with skill position players. Seattle was paying the least amount of money for their offensive line of all NFL teams. Russell Wilson, an outstanding quarterback, was sacked 7 times against the Rams and the offence stunk because they could not protect him. The same happened too often here last season. Even great quarterbacks cannot shine wihout pass protection.

If there is anyone who should be happy about Rinebold's hiring, it should be Chris Rainey.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Dusty
Champion

Blitz wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:59 am

If there is anyone who should be happy about Rinebold's hiring, it should be Chris Rainey.
Actually, I think you are spot on Blitz. I also think the fans in the seats will be happy about this hire too. I think for the first time in a long time, we have a ST coach who is prepared to look ahead at the opposition schemes and tendencies and make some adjustments to take advantage of what the other team usually does. Reinbold is almost as experienced (as a coach) as Wally and brings a pedigree to the field, and I suspect, won't sit quietly if Wally tries to take over with his vanilla approach to ST. I think that was Simmons mistake.... too "polite" when Wally stepped in. I can't see Reinbold being passive and polite.... and I think he will demand the appropriate skill players be on ST.

When I look across the mountains at other team's ST coaches, I see an upbeat, active coach.... who is in charge... That makes this hire quite positive to me.
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote: Chris Rainey finished last in the league in punt return average this season.
Almost unfathomable.

Dusty wrote:When I look across the mountains at other team's ST coaches, I see an upbeat, active coach.... who is in charge... That makes this hire quite positive to me.
I agree. To me, the gold standard is Mark Kilam in Calgary. Year in and year out has his guys well prepared. Look how they were able to spring Roy Finch this year. Are you telling me he's that much better than Rainey? Hell no! It's mostly coaching. Oh yea, the guy in Winnipeg isn't so bad either. :wink:

almo89 wrote:Peter Schaad's impersonation of Adam Rita is amazing. I remember howling when I heard it the first time. Peter Schaad also does a great John McKeachie
Ever heard Bmac's impression of Tony Gallagher? So good, you'd think it's him. Hilarious! :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:02 am
[ Ever heard Bmac's impression of Tony Gallagher? So good, you'd think it's him. Hilarious! :wink:

I LOVE! Bmac doing Gallagher.... Made me smile and LOL every time I heard it.... For some reason, I have a memory of Bmac doing it and then Gallegher coming on air.... it was weirdly seamless..... or maybe my faulty memory is generating this as wishful thinking....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Welcome back, Jeff.
Get your motor runnin'
Head out on the highway
Lookin' for adventure ...

jeff-reinebold-2015-1-1600x902.jpg
reinebold_jeff-1040x572.jpg
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I like it. I always thought Reinbold's calling was on Special Teams. His Harley-riding "hair back, bugs in the teeth" mantra and enthusiasm is perfectly suited for special teams but can grow very old, very quickly when applied to coaching defense or being a head coach.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:

I always have thought, had Buono not decide to become a football coach, he would have been a very good dictator of a third world developing country. He would have looked good in epulats while being saluted by his minions. Statutes of himself would have been built in every village of the country, no matter the cost.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 pm
Blitz wrote:

Considerable difference though. In a 3rd world dictatorship there are limited options:
1) Be loyal to the dictator.
2) Be dead.
3) Defect if you don't want 1) or 2) to happen.
If you happen to choose 3) and decide to return 2) may be the only option.

Many have defected from Wally's dictatorship over the years only to willingly return. Nobody died getting out or back in.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Matt Baker has written a nice feature on how Reinebold is looking forward to working with Wally and Chris Rainey.
To say he’s pumped would be an understatement. It would also be an understatement to say he’s inheriting a special teams group that struggled at various times in 2017. They did manage to finish third in punt return average and middle of the pack in kickoff returns.

It was also the first time in Chris Rainey’s three-year Lions career where he didn’t return one to the house. Reinebold feels Rainey can still give them an edge on any given play.

“Rainey is a guy that fascinates the heck out of me because I see flashes of a guy that can be as good as anyone I’ve ever seen,” Reinebold declared.

“He’s strong, he’s quick and he’s truly a weapon to me. The Good Lord has been great to me for providing great players every step of the way; examples like Lui Passaglia in my first stop here or Bob Cameron and Troy Westwood in Winnipeg. Eric Blount set an all-time Bomber combined yards record when I was there. I had Gizmo Williams in Edmonton and speedy B (Brandon Banks) in Hamilton. Rainey is one of those guys.”
JEFF REINEBOLD | WEST COASTER AT HEART
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:28 pm
Blitz wrote:

I love it. His Most Noble Nacho Libre, "El Buono Fernandez Rivera Juan Carlo Jesus de la Supremo".
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.