Leos Name New Club President

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:11 pm
Lowell Ullrich likes their recent moves:
http://3downnation.com/2017/12/18/lelac ... on-exodus/

“Truth be told, Braley could bring the great Norm Kimball to lead the charge back to respectability but if the guy on the ground running the operation isn’t spending the money in the right places a turnaround is difficult.

But in coaxing the 69-year-old LeLacheur back to the CFL the Lions have an experienced hand who demonstrated an ability to roll up his sleeves and get things done in the Alberta capital.”

“If LeLacheur reconnects even half of the Lower Mainland business community which have pulled their support since the passing of Bob Ackles back to the Lions, it’s a step in the right direction. It’s clear the best part of the Lions’ 2017 season has come after playing their final game.”
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Might we see the return of Mike Reilly ? :wink: :wink:
Matt Baker
Rookie

Spoke with Rick yesterday afternoon and have published a Q&A with him for bclions.com, link at the bottom.

Cole's Notes:

- It all happened fast. Says he was talking to Wally about the Hervey hiring a couple weeks ago and jokingly mentioned to Wally he'd be interested in being the president. It went from there and was all finalized in a matter of a couple of weeks. Rick himself said he predicted to people a few months ago that Wally would be the president.

- On issue of attendance: Rick feels a number of factors are in play, from the demographics, to perception in the market, to challenges getting to BC Place from the suburbs. Won't elaborate more until he starts to meet with staff in the new year.

- Agrees with notion that all games must be turned into "events" right from when fans leave their homes to get to the stadium and after they leave the stadium.

- He's very excited at the football operations crew being built by Hervey and feels the club is in good hands with Wally focusing on coaching and Ed serving as the GM. Shares Ed's belief that the team can contend again quickly.

- Loves the new kids season memberships, because at this stage it's about attracting the kids and next generation.

https://www.bclions.com/2017/12/19/q-rick-lelacheur/
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:11 pm
Lowell Ullrich likes their recent moves:
http://3downnation.com/2017/12/18/lelac ... on-exodus/

“Truth be told, Braley could bring the great Norm Kimball to lead the charge back to respectability but if the guy on the ground running the operation isn’t spending the money in the right places a turnaround is difficult.
Interesting the Kimball reference. Throughout his career in Edmonton he was the GM. His only foray into the role of Club President/CEO was a 2 and the team was done (folded) stint with the Montreal Alouettes.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Nice work on the interview Matt. The one interesting thing I read in that is what should amount to a shot across the bow at the Wally detractors. He's been accused of wanting to maintain a death grip on control of everything. Yet who was the person who initiated the hiring of a new GM? Wally. Who was the person who initiated the hiring of the new Club President? Wally. It's also clear with some of the hires like Torey Hunter that the new GM is the man in charge here. Like any smart manager though Ed is not so foolish as to dismiss the experience and opinion

Wally brings into the decision making process. With LeLacheur and Hervey in the fold I think Wally will first and foremost HC with his VP role being more ceremonial as opposed to functional. If a flatline type org structure, not uncommon in business, is in place Ed may not even report to VP Wally. He may report directly to Prez Rick.

Sure has been a lot of change for an organization many feared would have none as the last season ended.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:39 pm
Nice work on the interview Matt. The one interesting thing I read in that is what should amount to a shot across the bow at the Wally detractors. He's been accused of wanting to maintain a death grip on control of everything. Yet who was the person who initiated the hiring of a new GM? Wally. Who was the person who initiated the hiring of the new Club President? Wally. It's also clear with some of the hires like Torey Hunter that the new GM is the man in charge here. Like any smart manager though Ed is not so foolish as to dismiss the experience and opinion

Wally brings into the decision making process. With LeLacheur and Hervey in the fold I think Wally will first and foremost HC with his VP role being more ceremonial as opposed to functional. If a flatline type org structure, not uncommon in business, is in place Ed may not even report to VP Wally. He may report directly to Prez Rick.

Sure has been a lot of change for an organization many feared would have none as the last season ended.
The new moves from the new GM have been excellent and I'm not surprised that Wally initiated this move based on the story here as he basically said at the year of the year with the owner not able to travel as much he was really all on his own.

I still think that Wally should be VP and have let Ed Hervey hire his own coach as that is ONE job that he proved TWICE with the Esks that he was capable of.

I like the new assistants and scouts - both Jarius Jackson and now the ST coach Reinebold bring a lot of outside experience.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 pm
I still think that Wally should be VP and have let Ed Hervey hire his own coach as that is ONE job that he proved TWICE with the Esks that he was capable of.
Does that mean you don't take Hervey at his word when he was quoted as saying “Wally was very clear during our discussions that I would be working from a clean slate as it relates to player personnel and football operations staff, but my first request of him was that he remain on as head coach for the 2018 season,” Hervey said in a release.
Matt Baker
Rookie

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:27 pm
Hambone wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:39 pm

The new moves from the new GM have been excellent and I'm not surprised that Wally initiated this move based on the story here as he basically said at the year of the year with the owner not able to travel as much he was really all on his own.

I like the new assistants and scouts - both Jarius Jackson and now the ST coach Reinebold bring a lot of outside experience.
Ed was indeed given the option of choosing his own coach. And he chose Wally for one more season. Not sure how many times it needs to be said.
David
Team Captain

Rick LeLacheur was on TSN1040 radio with Halford and Brough this morning. Talked about all the new initiatives. Highlights:

* Roof will be (default) open for all games unless inclement weather
* Admitted "BC Place is too big, unless you're hosting the Grey Cup," but also said it's the best overall stadium in the league
* Trying to get a deal with Translink (nothing to report on this, but did it in Edmonton and very effective)

After he hung up, the two hosts talked about the massive challenges for the organization. They don't think the club has answers. Stadium issues, concession prices, lack of Translink deal and don't believe cheaper tickets for kids is that answer and were dismissive of the "Beach Party Fun Zone."

Listen to it in its entirety here: http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-9521?smc=10

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:50 am
Rick LeLacheur was on TSN1040 radio with Halford and Brough this morning. Talked about all the new initiatives. Highlights:

* Roof will be (default) open for all games unless inclement weather
* Admitted "BC Place is too big, unless you're hosting the Grey Cup," but also said it's the best overall stadium in the league
* Trying to get a deal with Translink (nothing to report on this, but did it in Edmonton and very effective)

After he hung up, the two hosts talked about the massive challenges for the organization. They don't think the club has answers. Stadium issues, concession prices, lack of Translink deal and don't believe cheaper tickets for kids is that answer and were dismissive of the "Beach Party Fun Zone."

Listen to it in its entirety here: http://ckstam.streamon.fm/listen-pl-9521?smc=10

Caught most of that myself yesterday.
The hosts are exactly the demographic the Lions are lacking or even more so are completely tuned out on the team. I will give them credit as they even make fun of themselves being millennials.

Interesting to hear one of them say they would have season tickets if they stayed at Empire. The team struggled mightily during its brief time there but my take was it never went over as well as I thought it would.
I really anticipated the summer games to be “sold out” for an outdoor intimate venue but I think the very first game (against the Riders) was as big as the crowds got and a number of BC Place regulars even stayed away altogether. Yes parking wasn’t great as well as the other amenities but we are talking about 9 games over 5 months, not an NHL schedule.

Perhaps that was a reflection more of the older demographic (40-60) that helped push the season ticket base into the 20,000s during the 2000s era.

Vancouver sure is a perplexing sports market. Talk about attendance, marketing strategy and there is a ton of reaction. Talk about player personnel (unless it's the Canucks) and it’s crickets.

I don’t envy Lelacheur. His job is tough, even with the discounted tickets so many other factors go into attending a game. Just a different era than 10 to 15 years ago, especially with every home game televised. I was even guilty of skipping a couple of games last year, knowing it was on TV anyways and I didn’t have to rush downtown.
BC 1988
Legend

I caught the interview as well (also the rest of the hour). They read a text mocking Lelacheur's use of the term "disc jockey" and added they expected to hear Frankie Valli's latest to entertain the kids in the Beach Party Fun Zone. (They had also been deriding the concept on an earlier show when the Lions first announced it.)

Yes, Halford and Brough are pathetic when it comes to anything CFL (it's always painful whenever LU has to appear on their show). SG does have a point though--they personify the demo that is not seriously invested in sports--it's just another thing competing with a host of diversions.

The bigger issue the Lions face is being relevant to the changing cultural background of Greater Vancouver. (Something the Canucks struggle with as well, after years of losing seasons--the empty seats are growing there too). I think the Whitecaps are better positioned to make the required adjustments, with Soccer being the most popular sport in the world. Their challenge is putting an entertaining product on the field. MLS is still not world-class.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Glad to hear Buono won't get his way of closing the roof every time there is a cloud in the sky
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:52 pm
Glad to hear Buono won't get his way of closing the roof every time there is a cloud in the sky
We'll see, TLK. Rick is new. Wally still exerts considerable influence on things like the roof being open. Skulsky said the same thing, that he disagreed with Wally on this one point. Guess who won that argument?

As for Halford and Brough, I find them a little smug. Too clever by half. One of them (and I can't tell which because they both sound alike) at least grew up with the club and has a semi-interest from going to games in the past. But they're right about the Beach Party Fun Zone - seems a bit of a stretch. I like the price ($20...although I would go $19 all in. It sounds that much more appealing), and I like General Admission (sit anywhere in that section), but beach party??

Very seasonal. A beach theme is going to seem a bit odd in October. Better to have gone with CLUB TWO TWO EIGHT (the section) or CLUB 19 (the price point) or something more bar/club-like. We'll see. At least they're trying something different.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Huge Talent
Starter

Encouraging to hear about the roof. Pure insanity to close it in any decent weather.

Too bad about the smugness from our sports media. I thought their job was to help promote our teams, not belittle them.

I'm at the older end of the millennial spectrum. I think the beach party concept is intriguing. Yes, it might flop, but at least they're trying. Sounds like it could be a good time, social, more than just "the game."

Attendance issues aren't unique to the Lions. Caps games are looking half empty these days (having a lousy team doesn't help), and even the Canucks are having challenges through the rebuild. I point to the Canadians as the current benchmark. I think the affordability, outdoor, and social aspects are the key, all of which the Leos seem to be addressing.
Qman
Champion

Huge Talent wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:35 am
Encouraging to hear about the roof. Pure insanity to close it in any decent weather.

Too bad about the smugness from our sports media. I thought their job was to help promote our teams, not belittle them.

I'm at the older end of the millennial spectrum. I think the beach party concept is intriguing. Yes, it might flop, but at least they're trying. Sounds like it could be a good time, social, more than just "the game."

Attendance issues aren't unique to the Lions. Caps games are looking half empty these days (having a lousy team doesn't help), and even the Canucks are having challenges through the rebuild. I point to the Canadians as the current benchmark. I think the affordability, outdoor, and social aspects are the key, all of which the Leos seem to be addressing.
canadians games are half empty too ... although those are true no shows; tickets are so cheap, people only show up to 1/3rd of the games leaving alot of seats empty while worst seats are filled