Lions name Jarious Jackson offensive coordinator and QB coach, round out coaching staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

A bit of a surprise announcement:
Jamie Cartmell

The BC Lions Football Club today announced that Jarious Jackson has been named offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

Jackson, the former Lions quarterback who spent seven seasons with the club as a player and the 2013 campaign as the team’s quarterbacks coach, was most recently the passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2016 and 2017.

“Ed and I are very pleased to welcome Jarious back to the Lions,” said head coach Wally Buono. “My thoughts on Jarious’ ability as a coach are well–documented and he has gained some valuable experience over the past number of years. He’s enjoyed a significant amount of success since being here in 2013 and we’re fortunate to have him returning to our organization.”

Prior to his two-year stint in Saskatchewan, Jarious spent a pair of seasons with the Edmonton Eskimos as quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator where he helped tutor the Green and Gold’s stable of pivots and enjoyed a Grey Cup win in 2015.

“I’m excited to return to where my career in the CFL began in 2005,” said Jackson. “I believe the team that Ed and Wally are putting together is going to be very competitive and I’m excited to be part of the organization once again.”
BC Lions Name Jarious Jackson Offensive Coordinator
CardiacKid
Legend

Cool, I like it when guys who have paid their dues get a promotion and a chance to stretch their wings.

The coaching ranks need a fresh infusion now and then to remain dynamic.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

My surprise would be termed at most mild. I thought he had to be in the mix of candidates. He's paid his dues. Much as Lulay has been thought to be like an extra assistant so too was Jarious going back to when he was playing for the Leos.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

So does he become JJ III after Jennings and Johnson or does he get promoted to JJ I as the senior JJ?
squishy35
Legend

This is very good news for the Lions. Over the season we saw a lot of dynamic looks with Saskatchewan' offence despite them being largely limited to a pocket passer such as Glen. I really hope we see more inventive formations and that we see Jarious utilize Jennings' athleticism to work on roll out patterns with more play options.
Spud387
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:58 pm
So does he become JJ III after Jennings and Johnson or does he get promoted to JJ I as the senior JJ?
Asking the important questions here :D
The_Pauser
Legend

Not too thrilled by this. Was really hoping for Condell or someone else who may be a bit more innovative.
Roar you Lions roar!
BC 1988
Legend

From the standpoint that 2018 will be a transitional season, this is probably the best we can hope to get. It isn't really unexpected, given his links to Hervey back in EDM (before Chris Jones took everyone to SSK). Wally would certainly be comfortable working with him.

One thing I like is Jarious obviously used a headset for communication in both EDM and SSK coaching gigs.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
JJ7
JJ10
JJ24
?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I like this move. I also like that Jarius will be both QB coach and OC. Hopefully that means he is keeping the QB coach seat warm until Lulay is ready to retire as a player and join the Lions coaching staff.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I like this move. :thup:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:47 pm
From the standpoint that 2018 will be a transitional season, this is probably the best we can hope to get. It isn't really unexpected, given his links to Hervey back in EDM (before Chris Jones took everyone to SSK). Wally would certainly be comfortable working with him.

One thing I like is Jarious obviously used a headset for communication in both EDM and SSK coaching gigs.
I don't get the affinity for headsets. I know it's a bee in the bonnet for some when it comes to Buono but if he's standing right beside his coordinators why would he need one? It would be like two people at the same table in the pub phoning each other on their cell phones. People complain about Wally meddling with his coaches. What easier way to do it than to put on a headset during games so he can try to chime in when they're trying to call plays.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:58 pm
Hambone wrote:
JJ7
JJ10
JJ24
?
Yup. JJ7 JJ10 JJ24.

This fan is very happy with the news. JJ7 is an outstanding character guy. Absolutely a rock. As noted he has paid his dues. He is a guy a new Head Coach would likely keep as well. All those QBs over the years here that have played some brilliant ball, no doubt can thank JJ7 for the support he has given. An ultimate team guy.

Fan friendly in his quiet way. One time years ago, he wandered over in practice (it might have been training camp) and started chatting with myself and Vic. Very down to earth.

Will he bring an offence that satisfies the fans? Will he show what seems to be the necessary creativity in today's game? Don't know. But this fan is willing to wait and find out.

Welcome back, Jarious. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
leo4life
All Star

Jarious for HC in 2019!
dodger
Rookie

I like this hiring. Hopefully a more aggressive and interesting offense.