QB James Franklin Traded to Argos

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Esks ship James Franklin to the Argos for OL Mason Woods, the 6'9" tackle from Maple Ridge, BC and a 3rd rounder. While I was hoping we could acquire Franklin, at least he's out of our division.

This deal works out a whole lot better for Edmonton than the deal we pulled off for Mike Reilly. They only gave up a 2nd rounder in the 2014 draft which we used to select T-Dre Player and an exchange of 2013 2nd rounders (which we used on SJ Haidara).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Depends. According to one Rider fan who has connections with Tillman the 3rd is conditional of Franklin signing. Was Woods injured this year? Or just spent it on the PR? He did sign with the Argos but doesn't appear to have suited up.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Why would Franklin sign? He is a free agent and if Ray is back, he will not want to be a backup. He likely will try to exhaust his NFL options and may wait till free agency to see what offers he gets. I guess this puts to rest the Zach C rumours to Toronto.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm
Why would Franklin sign? He is a free agent and if Ray is back, he will not want to be a backup. He likely will try to exhaust his NFL options and may wait till free agency to see what offers he gets. I guess this puts to rest the Zach C rumours to Toronto.
Reilly didn't wait for free agency when he was traded and he only needed to wait for 2 weeks.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Reilly didn't wait for free agency when he was traded and he only needed to wait for 2 weeks.
Reilly would have wound up exposed in the expansion draft and would have certainly been taken by Ottawa if he didn't sign with a team prepared to make him their number one QB. So BC was no longer an option and Edmonton wanted him. In 2013 the only other teams than had need for a starting QB were Winnipeg and Montreal. Winnipeg was a mess. So really, it would have come down to only Montreal and Edmonton bidding on free agent Reilly. I'm sure Reilly realised his best all around situation was to sign with the Eskimos. The fact that Hervey gave up something just to get his rights put Reilly in the driver's seat.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I think this was a great move by the Argos. Franklin has barely played in 3 years and was undrafted. He will be a long shot to make an NFL team, no matter how much people up north expect him to be a future star in the CFL. Worst case for Franklin he spends one more year being mentored by one of the greatest quarterbacks in CFL history. However, I think even if Ray doesn't retire Franklin will get plenty of game action. I could see a Wilkinson-Moon type system working in Toronto next year.
maxlion
Legend

No guarantees that Franklin signs, but having Trestman there makes it a lot more likely. Probably the best place to be for a young up and coming QB.

This puts the pressure on Saskatchewan and Montreal to find a starter, with Collaros the only one likely to be available (and having some question marks of his own). Also makes it harder for Ottawa to sign Harris.

Seems like a smart, proactive move by Toronto.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Overall good points.

Great move for Argos and Franklin.

If they do sign him for next year, what else will have they give up?

Franklin just strengthened his bargaining position by being traded for two reasons:

1. He was never going to displace Esks starter and get more time.

2. Ricky Ray is closer to the exit than he's ever been given the lure of quitting with his GC or agreeing to a lesser role with the Argos. If he does want to sign with the Argos, he gets to hear their views now rather than waiting to FA time.

I'm of the mind that he'd be wiser to stay in the CFL until he actually gets some decent time as a starter.

I could see Ray in the CFL as a coach and he's really tight with best buddy Jason Maas and I'm sure Marc Trestman now.

Would Ray do a Lulay and come back to turn over the reigns to Franklin? I'm not sure on that account as Ray is older and one call to Henry Burris would say - just get out cleanly and if you wanna coach - just do that.

This likely means that the ZACH COLLAROS situation is on hold even more as the Argos can't deal for him until they know Franklin's situation.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
I somehow think that Toronto has had some quiet discourse about his signing at least as far as asking if he has any reason against signing in Toronto. I can't see a team giving up this trade without at least some possibility of getting him on the dotted line. Toronto would be a good fit for him. A fair chance that he becomes a starter if not this year, then the next. A coach with a proven track record. Can't think of many teams that would be able to offer as much at least on paper and couple it with a chance to be in Toronto vs Sask or Hamilton, kind of think that he would jump at that chance barring some insult of a contract offer.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

The inhabitants of Rider Nation will have their pitchforks and torches out...after all, this has to be the result of the CFL conspiring against them.

Everybody but everybody knows it was an absolute no-brainer that Franklin was heading to Regina. At least that is what they'll have you believe for the past year and more. The CFL head office must have conspired against his anointed crossing from Alberta to Saskatchewan.

Rod Pedersen will be serving up extra helpings of the ole green Kool-Aid starting tomorrow....

I would be very surprised if Jones and company didn't make a pitch for Franklin but Sutherland would be loath to trade him to a division rival. Interestingly, Bridge has at least one NFL tryout planned, Franklin has none at the moment.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 pm
The inhabitants of Rider Nation will have their pitchforks and torches out...after all, this has to be the result of the CFL conspiring against them.

Everybody but everybody knows it was an absolute no-brainer that Franklin was heading to Regina. At least that is what they'll have you believe for the past year and more. The CFL head office must have conspired against his anointed crossing from Alberta to Saskatchewan.

Rod Pedersen will be serving up extra helpings of the ole green Kool-Aid starting tomorrow....

I would be very surprised if Jones and company didn't make a pitch for Franklin but Sutherland would be loath to trade him to a division rival. Interestingly, Bridge has at least one NFL tryout planned, Franklin has none at the moment.
Rider fans believe that every free agent has Regina at the top of their wish list for a new place to play. If the player happened to be in Edmonton while Jones was coaching then that belief is only magnified. They once played for Jones therefore they automatically want to do so again because everybody loves the guy. Out at Grey Cup my EE spies asked me what I heard about rumours of Hervey coming to BC. I said I hadn't heard any such rumours, only spitballing about possible candidates if Wally stepped down with Ed being a name. Those same spies had told me a year ago that any relationship between Jones and Franklin was not a good one. They felt Franklin would have the Riders at the bottom of his list of preferred places to play.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Rider fans believe that every free agent has Regina at the top of their wish list for a new place to play. If the player happened to be in Edmonton while Jones was coaching then that belief is only magnified. They once played for Jones therefore they automatically want to do so again because everybody loves the guy. Out at Grey Cup my EE spies asked me what I heard about rumours of Hervey coming to BC. I said I hadn't heard any such rumours, only spitballing about possible candidates if Wally stepped down with Ed being a name. Those same spies had told me a year ago that any relationship between Jones and Franklin was not a good one. They felt Franklin would have the Riders at the bottom of his list of preferred places to play.
If only those same educated and well-informed EE spies could show the rabid and fanactical followers of Rider Nation how to formulate predictions and hunches..... :wink:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

For Franklin the only two good options are Saskatchewan and Toronto. When you look at the pros and cons of each situation, Toronto wins easily.

Saskatchewan:
Pro - Likely to be the starting QB next season
Con - Rider Nation dump on their QBs for every little mistake. Not an easy place to live up to expectations. Ask Burris.
Pro - HC Chris Jones is a fan of Franklin
Con - HC Chris Jones can be a real asshat when he feels like it.
Pro - Great facility and stadium
Con - It's Regina

Toronto:
Pro - Good chance Ricky Ray retires, but worst case you get 1 more year of mentoring from a future HoF QB
Con - Toronto was only a .500 team this season
Pro - It's the East. Toronto could be in the Grey Cup every year for a long time if they just keep playing .500 football.
Pro - Marc Trestman.
Pro - The Argos and MLSE may be on the verge bringing football back in Toronto
Con - There is a chance that despite winning the Grey Cup the Argos may still struggle to attract fans
Pro - Toronto is a great city
Con - Toronto is more expensive to live than Regina, but at least it is not Regina.