Grey Cup Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Back in the 2004 Grey Cup, when Jason Clermont was announced that he was the Most Valuable Canadian in a losing cause, he was man enough to go out and claim the award. Does Messam not to go out and claim his award makes him a sore loser?

Jerome Messam wasn’t necessarily at a loss for words after being named most valuable Canadian at the 105th Grey Cup, he just didn’t want to share any of them.

Shortly after the Calgary Stampeders dropped a 27-24 Sunday decision to the Toronto Argonauts on a last minute 32-yard field goal by Lirim Hajrullahu, Messam refused several requests for interviews and quickly vacated the Stampeders’ locker room for the team bus without saying a word to the media.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Given the conditions, it’s amazing that there were only two turnovers in a game with 152 plays. But those two turnovers likely resulted in a 14-point swing to Toronto and undid all the good things that Calgary did throughout the game. If you eliminate those turnovers and the 100-yard TD by Posey, Calgary wins by 20, which is probably more reflective of the play.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:43 pm
The Argos also join B.C., Calgary, Edmonton and Montreal with three Grey Cup victories in the 2000s.
They've also won the past six GC games they've been in, dating back to 1991. The last one they played in and lost was 1987.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:23 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:43 pm
The Argos also join B.C., Calgary, Edmonton and Montreal with three Grey Cup victories in the 2000s.
They've also won the past six GC games they've been in, dating back to 1991. The last one they played in and lost was 1987.
Good point.
With this loss, the Stampeders are at 7 wins in 16 Grey Cup appearances, essentially a losing record at 7-9. I don't know if that's more painful than winning fewer Grey Cups but a winning record, e.g. the Lions are at 6-4 in Grey Cup appearances, including 4 wins in the last 5 appearances.

Also, I suppose the next time the Stampeders they should hoist their WDF trophy as this time by not touching it, they didn't win the GC.

--------
As I think about the play selections for the Stampeders that led to the interception, perhaps last year's Grey Cup Calgary had a chance to win it and instead, kicked a game-tying Grey Cup and eventually lost in overtime. So perhaps this time they were more braver and went for the win instead of a tie.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Ballistic Bob
Legend

After the interception did the player run out of bounds and what was that penalty about. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is the CFL. Ricky Ray, with snow coming down, throws a TD pass to DeVier Posey. 100 yards.

Screenshot_2017-11-26-22-10-19.png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:57 pm
After the interception did the player run out of bounds and what was that penalty about. BB
Checking:

The snow somewhat blocks the field lines but it doesn't appear that ran out of bounds, nor was he considered down. It was a live play when he ran out of the end zone with the ball held over this head, and his teammates from the sidelines ran to the field thinking that the play was dead but it wasn't. So the penalty was for Illegal Participation.

Now, you can imagine what would have happened if any Stampeder, knowing that the play was still alive, knocked the ball away as it was held in a vulnerable position, then took the ball again and scored a GC winning TD. Such things have happened before as a result of premature celebrations.
祝你龍年行大運。
CardiacKid
Legend

Just a few slap-dash thoughts after getting back from the game and getting the feeling back in my fingers :wink:

-happy the Argos won but mostly for Ricky Ray and Marc Trestman. Last year I was ecstatic the RedBlacks won as I am nostalgic for the days of the Rough Riders.
-a different sort of loss for the Stamps this year. Last year they thought they just had to show up but wound up being out-worked and out-coached. This year they acquitted themselves better but still managed to lose.
-I am surprised that I haven’t seen any CFL media types mention the parallels to 1971 and Leon McQuay.
-I was immediately intrigued by the comparison of the coaches pre-game talks; Trestman calm and saying have fun, Dickenson exhorting they kick ass.
-the overall excellent job done this week in Ottawa. It should serve as a template for future festivals.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't have a problem with Messam not wanting to talk about the loss or coming out for his award. There are times when you just don't want to talk to anybody and it is the players right ultimately not to. It has to be horribly gut wrenching to lose a game in this fashion and now it is 2 years in a row where it looked like the football gods were about to reward them and then took it away. He played a good game, was recognized for it and who the hell really cares about the sound bites from a player whose team has just lost the big game.

"What are your thoughts about today's game?" We crapped the bed and gave the other guys the win.
"What went wrong out there today?" We just didn't do enough to win.
"Where do you go from here?" To the airport, to clear out my locker and come back next year and start again.
"How does it feel to win the MOC award?" Like second best but I will put a good face on it just for the listening public.

That pretty much covers it.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:30 pm

-I am surprised that I haven’t seen any CFL media types mention the parallels to 1971 and Leon McQuay.
Retired Vancouver Sun football writer Mike Beamish noted the Leon McQuay parallel in replying to a Drew Edwards postgame article on 3downnation.com.
sixbeamers // November 26, 2017 at 11:46 pm (ET)
It’s karma. Argos lost the 1971 Grey Cup game against Stampeders on the Leon McQuay slip and fumble in the red zone. That Argo team became known as “the greatest team that never won.” Since then, Toronto has won three straight in Stampeder-Argo Grey Cups. Hope Kamar Jorden can overcome his misfortune. Leon McQuay never did. He took the disappointment with him to the grave.
Stamps Marquay McDaniel blames teammate after Grey Cup loss
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How about Shania Twain's half-time entrance. Being pulled in on a sleigh by a bunch of huskies in the snow. How cool is that ?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I've not been a huge fan of Marquay McDaniel and definitely not after tossing his team mate under the bus for the fumble. Maybe MD could have tackled the guy and not let him run 110 yards for a TD.

Two years in a row Dave Dickenson play call was a factor in deciding the game. Great coach - lots of wins yet to come - but dude - KICK the FG.

Bo wanted the ball and got it but tossed an INT .. FG dudes.

It was a good game for two records 100 yd pass and run for a record and 110 fumble for td record.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

McDaniel stated the truth, and Jorden owned up to it. His fumble was the turning point in the game. No one can deny that. Many Stamps players admitted afterwards that they gave away a game they should have won.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Shoulda coulda woulda!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/27/morris-jorden-fumble/
It would have been easy for Jorden to hide after the game or refuse to talk. Instead the 28 year-old faced the media and patiently answered questions.

“On a play like that, in a position like that on the field, I just had to be smart with the ball,” he said. “I should have two hands on it. I let it get away from me. In weather like that, in conditions like that, you’ve got to be able to hold the ball . . . (to put) your team in a position to win a game. I didn’t do that.

“We were in a position to win the game. It hurts man. It sucks.”
Jorden faced the press. He took the blame.

From here on in, I am rooting for him.
The Stampeders still had a chance to win when they got the ball back with 49 seconds remaining. On a second-and-10 from the Calgary 43 Jorden made a diving, finger-tip catch for a 37-yard gain to put Calgary in field-goal range on the Toronto 30. Two plays later Mitchell threw an interception and the game was over.
After Jorden made a helluva catch for the 1st down, Bo had them in position for a FG to tie the game.
Jorden gave Calgary an early lead, turning a third-and-three gamble into a 33-yard touchdown in the first quarter. He finished the game as Calgary’s leading receiver with 117 yards and the touchdown on six catches.
Much of the game seemed to revolve around Jorden.
Mitchell, who finished the night completing 33 of 45 passes for 373 yards, two touchdowns and an interception, said Jorden did a lot of things right during the game.

“I think he had a hell of a game,” said Mitchell. “I think he balled out all game. I think he was locked in.

“It was one bad play. It’s not on that one play.”
I agree with Bo on this one.
Other players rallied to Jorden’s defence.

“I’m not going to blame it on him,” said middle linebacker Alex Singleton. “It is what it is.

“We didn’t have any turnovers on defence. They did. They won.”
Yup.
Veteran safety Joshua Bell said a lot of factors contributed to the loss.

“It was not that one play that cost us the game,” said Bell. “Some people are going to look at that one play and (say) that lost us the game.

“But if anybody had a mistake on any play, that helped give us our loss.”
That didn’t appease McDaniel.

“Stupid football lost this game,” he said. “It was just a dump play. It changed the whole game.”
The unforgiving McDaniel. I guess they won't be car pooling next year.

If a handful of players were like McDaniel the team morale would be a shambles. Every man for himself. I do not like the Stampeders, but IMO Mitchell and Singleton are saying the right things as team leaders. I tend to root against Bo, but I think he is showing the right team spirit on this one.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.