Grey Cup Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Calgary Stampeders vs. Toronto Argonaunts in the 105th Grey Cup. Will the Stamps hoist the Cup this year after blowing it last year ? Will 40 year old Ricky Ray lead his underdog Argos to a victory and retire as a champion ? Stampeders are early 7 point favourites.
squishy35
Legend

Ricky Ray and the Argos seem to rise to the occasion when the GC is on the line. I will confidently predict a GC Victory for the Double Blue by 10 points or better.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't see it. Calgary is a more complete team. They took their foot off the pedal towards the end of the season but you can be sure that they remember what happened last year. Also, unlike the Edmonton game, they won't be coming off weeks of inactivity like they did for the first part of that last game. I will take the Stamps by the same margin.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 am
I don't see it. Calgary is a more complete team. They took their foot off the pedal towards the end of the season but you can be sure that they remember what happened last year. Also, unlike the Edmonton game, they won't be coming off weeks of inactivity like they did for the first part of that last game. I will take the Stamps by the same margin.

That's what everybody thought last year too. Single game, sudden death always gets down to preparation, game planning, who gets the breaks and bounces and capitalizes on them. While it seems to get dismissed as a factor in these parts execution is crucial. Whoever does the better job of those things wins.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:

That's what everybody thought last year too. Single game, sudden death always gets down to preparation, game planning, who gets the breaks and bounces and capitalizes on them. While it seems to get dismissed as a factor in these parts execution is crucial. Whoever does the better job of those things wins.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

And the first obvious Grey Cup fans I saw was a group of 4 Lions fans walking down Elgin Street in their orange coveralls and orange wigs. I saw Jamie Taras later on in Byward Market. It is early and my travels have amounted walking from my hotel down Elgin to Byward but so far counting myself I've seen 6 Lions fans, 1 Rider and 1 Bomber fan. Also got interviewed by CTV Ottawa as I was having lunch while checking out the Lowertown Brewery which will be hosting Spirit of Edmonton. This will be very much a different SOE as it normally is in a very large banquet room in a big hotel.
squishy35
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:17 am
Sir Purrcival wrote:

Same in 2004 and same in 2012. The Argo's seem to come through in the GC's.....
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Checked out this year's GC presser with the HCs. Interesting that Farhan asked DD about the OTT GC in 2004 and who should have started.

I may have forgotten this but Dave D said there was a fight on the team bus the day before the GC.

He said he should have started that game - laughing of course - and he said that Casey P was tossing underhand in practice. In seriousness he added that as a coach he wants to see in practice what the player is to deliver in the game (as a reference to someone tossing underhand in practice). I hadn't heard that stuff before.

They both spoke of how Marc T spoke to DD about coaching when the Lions cut him but he still wanted to play.

I'm not predicting a winner although I'd not argue with the odds of the Stamps winning.

http://www.tsn.ca/marks/video/dickenson ... up~1267776
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:06 am
Calgary Stampeders vs. Toronto Argonaunts in the 105th Grey Cup. Will the Stamps hoist the Cup this year after blowing it last year ? Will 40 year old Ricky Ray lead his underdog Argos to a victory and retire as a champion ? Stampeders are early 7 point favourites.
Last year they were 9.5 point favourites. Ottawa showed how you can get in BLM's head and leave him not sure what way is up. His body language betrayed how lost he was at times.

Ottawa also had done an excellent job in prepping and game planning. Plus they executed and out-hustled the Stamps, to my mind they clearly were ready to dig deep and not go down without a fight.

The Stamps as a whole seemed unprepared for the fight in the Redblacks. Will they make the same mistake twice. They sure could....

I am taking the Argos and have $ on it.
ZLions
Rookie

No way the Stamps blow this for the second consecutive year, if they do then there are serious problems with that organization. Far too many great regular seasons for the past decade pretty much and not enough to show for it. If they don’t win this year, Hufnagel and Co. may be forever known as the group that had it all but was unable to finish far too many times. No way they would let that happen again.

Final score: Calgary 30 Toronto 17
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I don't recall any stories of a fight on the team bus on the way to the 2004 GC but it's common knowledge the 1994 Lions had a scrap on the bus to the game.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 pm
I don't recall any stories of a fight on the team bus on the way to the 2004 GC but it's common knowledge the 1994 Lions had a scrap on the bus to the game.
Didn’t that 1994 team have a multitude of scraps?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Since 2010, seven different teams have won the Cup. Only Winnipeg (losers in 2011) and Hamilton (losers in 2013 and 2014) haven't won the Cup in that span. On Sunday, either Calgary or Toronto will become the first team to win two Cups in this decade.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Friendly wager between the mayors:

1. The losing mayor will contribute $5 for every point scored by the winning team to a food bank in the winning mayor’s city.
2. Losing mayor will also send the winning mayor a selection of local craft beer.
3. The losing mayor must wear the winning team’s jersey and read a poem written or selected by the winning mayor at their next city council meeting.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought we might see Andre Proulx again as Grey Cup referee but the league has chosen Dave Foxcroft as its highest-rated referee this year. This is reportedly his fifth Grey Cup but his first as referee.
OTTAWA – The Canadian Football League announced today the officiating crew that will work the 105th Grey Cup presented by Shaw on Sunday, November 26th at TD Place.

This group of officials were the highest rated officials at their respective positions during the 2017 season.

2017 Grey Cup Officials:

Referee #30 Dave Foxcroft

Umpire #61 Patrick MacArthur

Head Linesman #25 Ron Barss

Line Judge #67 Justin McInnes

Side Judge #23 Dave Hawkshaw

Back Judge #75 Dave Gatza

Field Judge #22 Murray Clarke

Backup Referee #72 Al Bradbury

Backup Official #34 Ritchie Miller

Backup Official #19 Christopher Shapka

Backup Official #21 Don Carmichael