Playoff Thread - Conference Finals

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SSK @ TOR ... I very much like Ricky Ray, Marc Trestman and James Wilder. But I find I am rooting for Kevin Glenn to win a Grey Cup.

EDM @ CGY ... I will always respect Hufnagel. I find Dickie not so easy to like as a coach, but he knows how to coach. I don't usually like Edmonton, mostly for past transgressions. But I do like Reilly. I think Maas knows how to coach, if not manage his emotions.

Slight edge in my preference for SSK.

Prefer EDM over CGY.

2017-11-17_1719.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Got some pretty good pickers there.

2017-11-17_1727.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Anyone else think this?

Ronnie Howard, Opie, lookalike for Dave Dickenson.

Coach Opie.

AG20.jpg

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton vs. Calgary in the Battle of Alberta

Saskatchewan vs. Toronto
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’m really pulling for Ricky Ray and Marc Trestman and the Toronto football market. It sounds like they’ll have a good crowd, including several thousand fans wearing green.

I’d love to see a Grey Cup battle of the two best quarterbacks, Ray and Mike Reilly, but Bo Levi Mitchell would also be a worthy foe if he can regain the form he showed in past years.
leo4life
All Star

Edmonton 26 Calgary 18 Final
Saskatchewan 32 Argos 27 Final
ZLions
Rookie

Saskatchewan 27 Toronto 21
Calgary 42 Edmonton 17

Calgary vs Saskatchewan Grey Cup
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

RIDERS OVER ARGOS -

Riders really firing on all cylinders now. Depends of course on how their DEF and STs play. Something tells me this Riders team has tons of confidence and lots to play for including their QB.
ESKS OVER STAMPS -
Esks on fire lately and I'm not sure which Stamps team will play tomorrow.

Henry Burris is suggesting that we might see some huge plays from the two RBs tomorrow which for inside Receivers should open things up - especially for Argos and Ricky Ray with LBs up close to the LOS.

He spoke of how this might be Kevin Glenn's last ever shot for a GC and how the Riders are rallying around him this week (as I suspect the unsaid is that Glenn likely would have won himself a Cup as a Bomber but for his broken hand in the Division Final).

Looks like there's a split in the Toronto MAPLE LEAFS locker room for the Riders - Argos game this week.

HC Mike Babcock's daughter is coming in for the game tomorrow and they're both going to be wearing there Rider jerseys!
Babcock has informed Larry Tannenbaum that he knows they own both teams but he's a long time committed Rider fan.

Tyler Bozak - RIDERS

Mitch Marner - ARGOS - taking the party (ownership) line as he's met a few Argos recently.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/riders-fan- ... er~1263451
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
CardiacKid
Legend

IMO the RedBlacks made a fateful error in not utilizing William Powell more in the Eastern semi. I don’t think the Argos will be as foolish and I expect a hefty dose of James Wilder. I don’t think the Riders will be able to negate him and I expect he will be the difference in an Argos win.

Plus I expect Glenn will prove to be his own undoing.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:55 pm
IMO the RedBlacks made a fateful error in not utilizing William Powell more in the Eastern semi. I don’t think the Argos will be as foolish and I expect a hefty dose of James Wilder. I don’t think the Riders will be able to negate him and I expect he will be the difference in an Argos win.

Plus I expect Glenn will prove to be his own undoing.

As Milt Stegall said 'William Powell didn't play' given how little he was used. RedBlacks scored on their first play from scrimmage and then the 2 pt convert. Not sure if that influenced the play calling or the Riders were simply sitting on the run effectively or the sense that they had to make a big play - hence 60 passes from Trevor Harris.

I"m thinking like you that James Wilder will get used - even though we know Trestman's love of the pass.

But I'm also thinking Thigpen will also keep the Argos front 4 and LBs thinking run and SASK has proven effective in their play calling and their O Line did a good job last week of giving Glenn the ability to focus on a quick release.

I'm thinking Riders seem to have a confidence and swagger collectively (not just Carter) that bodes well for this game.

In a story about Duron Carter paying $351 out of his own pocket to take 26 fans to see Justice League he also took the time to hammer the CFL simulator.

He did it to promote Rider fans at the game Sunday. Quite remarkable. To have him pay, he had two rules:
Rule 1: you must have on Rider Nation gear!!!
Rule 2: refer to rule number 1!!

He's a buddy of Nik Lewis so maybe he's trying to build a Carter Nation. Says he won't go the NFL as he's had those "chains on" before.
https://twitter.com/DC_CHILLIN_8
Interesting that I keep reading Twitter accounts of how Duron Carter treated someone's kids (reminds me of the stories of players like Buck Pierce - but Buck was never a loud trash talker like Duron).
"I just wanted to go watch a movie," Carter said during Saskatchewan's media availability Saturday at BMO Field. "You might as well have some people who want to be with you.

"No one wants to go to a movie by themselves, it seems kind of lonely so I might as well have all the people that want to be with me in the movie with me."
Riders head coach/GM Chris Jones chose not to attend but said he was fine with Carter's gesture.

"It doesn't shock me," Jones said. "That's what he does, right?
"The game is (Sunday)."
Carter also took offence to the CFL's simulator that gave the Riders just an eight per cent chance of winning the Grey Cup. But that's up from the two per cent shot it gave Saskatchewan prior to its 31-20 East Division semifinal win over the Ottawa Redblacks last weekend.

The Riders are attempting to become the first crossover team to reach the Grey Cup since the rule was adopted in 1996. Saskatchewan comes into Sunday's game having swept the season series against Toronto 2-0.

"That's a terrible computer, by the way," Carter said. "We've beaten everybody in the CFL and it's just like this computer never watched football at all.
"So how does it change? How does it know? I know it's fun to look at and talk about but as a team we're 100 per cent confident. We're not going back to Regina, we're going right back to Ottawa (for Grey Cup game)."
http://www.tsn.ca/riders-carter-takes-2 ... e-1.919481
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There is a lesson to be learned in how the league's most successful teams use their ratio. Three of the four conference finalists will dress four international receivers today. Only Toronto uses three internationals and two nationals. They use national Anthony Coombs effectively as a fourth receiver (457 yards in 11 games).

Many of us had high hopes when the Lions signed Chris Williams and Nick Moore in the offseason but they were used together in only 3 games, including one where Bryan Burnham was out of the lineup with an injury. It may not have mattered, with the way Jonathon Jennings was seeing the field and targeting Burnham and Manny Arceneaux on half his passes. In fact neither Moore nor Williams caught a pass in one of the games where they were used together against Calgary. In general, though, a balanced receiving corps can be a big asset in the passing game. One way or another, the Lions will need to get more production out of their third and fourth receivers next year. Using four internationals is a proven route to success.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I am predicting the Riders and the Stampeders will win today.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders are definitely on a roll and may be the first team to advance to the
grey Cup via the crossover
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Argos gamble on 3rd and 1 and was stopped deep in Rider territory
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders take an early 3-0 lead after securing the football on a turnover.