Eskimos: change your name

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Some of the key points that I gleaned from what those who oppose all name changes that I resonate with are:

> there are agendas with respect to the demands that team names change and they're not grassroots movements from individuals who collectively feel wronged.

> the intentions of these names are to represent outstanding characteristics not portray them as savages.

As a kid growing up in North Van in the 50s and 60s (born in late '45) I've always thought of names like old Stanford University Indians (now Cardinals) or North Shore Braves and North Shore Indians - (the two latter teams were both lacrosse teams with natives and non-natives) as emblematic of natives' bravery, courage, skill, togetherness, and who survived harsh weather, etc.

Now I 'm being told that those names depict savagery, debauchery or cultural misappropriation and demean indigenous peoples so I'm like WTF - that was never in any ones mind and I'm old enough to grasp that.

Eskimos is similar to me.

I do admit the war hoops with the US fans and their indian named teams might be culturally a nicety but that seems to me more of an educational issue and OPPORTUNITY -something getting missed in the zest to cleanse the names.

-----

Now we know the history of Canada is also filled with issues like mistreatment. That's solved by education and talking about it - not eliminating team names and sweeping it under the rug.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I've stood on the sidelines with the Washington Redskins name issue. I liked the team under Beathard and Gibbs. And I am not personally subject to ethnic abuse as a minority.

It seems I am gradually changing my views.

Now I hear about the kids local team back east, the Nepean Redskins, following the Washington Redskins name. Should a man's daughter have to wonder about respect for her ethnicity? I think not. They changed the name of the team. Good, IMO.

It seems there are degrees of disrespect and sensitivity. Eskimos as a team name ''might'' not be as offensive as Redskins or some others.

As noted, this is not an issue I am personally passionate about. But I think it is time for some of these names to go.

Edmonton Eskimos? With the media attention, from what I hear so far, I think its days are numbered.

Time to find another alliteration. Edmonton Empire? Arrogant? Edmonton Eagles? Cliche? OK, not my job.

Not passionate about this team name issue, but I do have a few opinions.

Irish ancestry for me. Some Scottish. Any sensitivity there? Not much in my life. Forty years ago, in a new job, I sat down for a company meeting. Next to me was the reincarnation of Andy Capp. Hilarious and rude. He greeted me, snarling quietly: ''F***ing Irishman,'' with a big grin on his face. One could not help but laugh, but somewhere in the back of my mind, it made me wonder a bit. The separation in his mind. It seemed pointless as we were both Canadians, with fair skin, and a common language.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

How about the Edmonton Elk? It’s a large mammal native to Alberta. It even sounds like Esks and wouldn’t require a change to the team’s EE logo.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I was thinking the Riggers myself but a few others crossed my mind, not all kindly. Maybe they could sell a sponsored name. What about the Edmonton Exxons? Save money repainting helmets. All sorts of derogatory names come to mind. Prairie Oysters topped my list. I thought Tundra might work but ET? Phone home about it. Some one suggested Inuit but then all I could see is Employment Insurance. Then the chants started. I can hear it now.

Edmonton they have the ball E I E I O.
And with that ball they had some plays E I E I O
With a pitch out here and a screen pass there
Up the gut, up the gut, everybody up the gut.
Edmonton they have the ball E I E I O

Ok. Clearly I have too much time on my hands these days.

If they change, it that's alright by me. Don't really consider it my business as it isn't my team or city.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 pm
Some one suggested Inuit but then all I could see is Employment Insurance. Then the chants started. I can hear it now.

:rotf:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 pm
I was thinking the Riggers myself but a few others crossed my mind, not all kindly. Maybe they could sell a sponsored name. What about the Edmonton Exxons? Save money repainting helmets. All sorts of derogatory names come to mind. Prairie Oysters topped my list. I thought Tundra might work but ET? Phone home about it. Some one suggested Inuit but then all I could see is Employment Insurance. Then the chants started. I can hear it now.

Ok. Clearly I have too much time on my hands these days.

If they change, it that's alright by me. Don't really consider it my business as it isn't my team or city.
Yes. Some funny, rude names crossed my mind, too. Not going there.

I like Sir P's idea of E I E I O. Love the chant. :thup:

So, Edmonton Impact. E I E I O LOL

Or to keep the EE, the Edmonton Emerald. Shade of green, at least.

E I E I O Now that is just disrespectful. Yes.

Edmonton Farmers. With a hay pitch here, and a cow pie there, E I E I O Will that work? Stop it.

Edmonton Ice Breakers. E I E I O

If they went with Emerald, they could work in a theme of Emerald Isle, with loads of potential, some of it, of course, offensive to the Irish. Reilly might not like it. Dayum ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I always refer to them as the Esks, so why not change the name to Eskies? I don't know what a Eskie is, but then again I don't know what a REDBLACK is either although in the warped PC world that we live in, REDBLACK could be perceived as a slur on two races.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You know, that is probably the best suggestion yet.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:32 am
I always refer to them as the Esks, so why not change the name to Eskies? I don't know what a Eskie is, but then again I don't know what a REDBLACK is either although in the warped PC world that we live in, REDBLACK could be perceived as a slur on two races.
Someone would be offended as "eskie" in something's cultural background or language means something bad!

I used to order a ham dinner set on Sundays in Hong Kong at a deli counter in a high market and I'd order the "ham set" which said the wrong way sounds like 'sex addict' to my Cantonese friend. I did that repeatedly every Sunday saying it as close to how he said 'sex addict' sounded to where they eliminated it from the menu!!! lol

The local lottery ticket seller was "PK Boo" and my friend said it was said by me like "Drop dead on the street'.
maxlion
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:32 am
Eskies is if anything more insulting than eskimo.

Red and black are just colours. Don't be so paranoid, nobody is going to try to eliminate colours or animals from sports teams' names.
maxlion
Legend

A good editorial last week in the Toronto Star on this:

"Yet in Edmonton, team ownership has given no sign of mustering the courage to change. And recent polls have suggested Albertans are happy as things are, while across the country there is actually considerable support for retaining the current Edmonton nickname.

But those days are numbered. Count on that. Names and identities are precious things. Caricaturing them for sport is a game whose time is passing.

In Edmonton, Mayor Don Iveson, who clearly understands the power of words, favours changing the team’s name. And, as he has said, “I don’t think this issue is going to go away.”

Right on both counts."

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editori ... -name.html

Time for this team to join the 21st century. What an embarrassment for the city and province.
CardiacKid
Legend

One thing that has always popped into my mind when seeing team names like "Braves", "Indians", etc. is the name even somewhat representative of the city to which it applies? I am no expert on the the history of Cleveland but to have their team called "Indians", is that even a descriptor of the area's history?

I certainly expect there were native peoples that lived in and around Cleveland but is that even a distinct aspect of Cleveland's history and the context of its becoming a major US city?

As for Washington Redskins, I have to believe there are far better words or terms that can evoke thoughts of Washington DC. I always thought they were completely unrelated and wondered how the heck the name even got applied to a team from Washington? It never made sense to me.

If a team got its nickname through some bullsh*t process or a complete whim, then its fair game IMO.

Edmonton Explorers? At least bit of a nod to the history of Edmonton as a gateway to the north.....
Edmonton Elks as noted by BC Fan? They can be the "herd" and cheered on with cries of "Go Wapiti's"!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Giving this topic a bump here as it seems the zest for the name change isn't an easy topic.

Mike Reilly is the voice of this infomercial on Edmonton by their Econ Dev't Office I think. Knocks Calgary in his typical joking fashion.

"We’re a city of grit. Of love. A city that gets up while it’s still dark to do what we have to do. And a city of champions, always. Edmonton Eskimo Mike Reilly talks Edmonton like the locals know it."

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Going back to the issue of political correctness for sports teams, a Nelson high school's sports team wants to change their name from the Bombers as they feel it is too violent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5094810

I wonder if that will trigger a chain reaction for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers as well.

McGill University students are also petitioning to change their sports team from Redmen.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Robbie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:27 am

McGill University students are also petitioning to change their sports team from Redmen.
Obviously they were successful as McGill announced on Friday that they will be replacing the Redmen nickname, new name TBA. The name was once two words Red Men and was changed to the single word Redmen many years ago. While the origination of the name never had an association to indigenous people apparently in the 50s the mens and womens teams were often referred to as "Indians" and "Squaws".
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.