CFL All-Stars

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:21 am

Congratulations to Bryan Burnham, Solomon Elimimian and Ty Long on being named CFL West Division All-Stars by the Football Reporters of Canada and CFL head coaches. Just three Lions made the team. Calgary and Winnipeg had seven selections each. Ex-Lion Jermarcus Hardrick, who was picked up by Winnipeg last year after stints with B.C. and Saskatchewan, was named a West Division all-star tackle. The full list:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/08/star-powe ... announced/
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

WestCoastJoe
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Those 3 guys are certainly worthy.

Way to go, Bryan, :thup:

Sollie :thup:

and Ty. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:20 pm

What ? No consideration for Antonio Johnson ? :wink:

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Derek Taylor of TSN, who charts every game in great detail and comes up with some amazing stats, believes (as I do) that Cody Husband was snubbed in the all-star voting.
Derek Taylor 🇨🇦 🏈‏Verified account
@DTonSC
No centre with double-digit starts allowed fewer pressures than @CodyHusband. All the more impressive on the offense allowing the most pressure.
He wasn't as kind to Ty Long, ranking Long as the league's worst punter based on net yards per punt. He thought Rob Maver should have been the West's all-star punter.
"I think [Fred Fateri] was like a lot of people who watch football, hockey or any professional sport on television. They sit there and think they could coach better than the professional. Some people really think that." - Bob Ackles, The Water Boy

David
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Isn't net punting average a bit misleading? I mean, is it Ty Long's fault that we had absolutely abysmal punt coverage this season? I agree there should be a more rigorous All-Star criteria than just gross average, so maybe it's punts inside the 10 or something as well.

DH :cool:
Please sell the team, Mr. Braley.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:01 pm

David wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 pm
Isn't net punting average a bit misleading? I mean, is it Ty Long's fault that we had absolutely abysmal punt coverage this season? I agree there should be a more rigorous All-Star criteria than just gross average, so maybe it's punts inside the 10 or something as well.

Yes, it is a reflection of the punt team as a whole. Long may to blame for outkicking his coverage, for being inexperienced at directional punting and for punting into the end zone too often rather than out of bounds inside the 10 yard line but B.C.’s cover teams were awful this year. In fact, Long saved several touchdowns by making tackles after everyone else missed. He was probably the league’s best tackler among punters but there are no awards for that.

Long had 8 punts out of bounds inside the 10 yard line, which tied for third most in the league, but he led the league by far with 11 punt singles, each of which subtracts 35 yards from his net average compared to kicking it out of bounds near the goal line.

David
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 pm

I saw a huge improvement in Ty Long from the start of the year. By year's end, I thought he was actually able to place his punts rather well. I still maintain that he has the strongest punting leg in the league. I know Rob Maver wasn't happy with the decision, but I don't think it's an egregious error to name Ty Long as a West All-Star.

Please sell the team, Mr. Braley.

B.C.FAN
2017 MVP
2017 MVP

Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Winnipeg’s secondary is awful. They gave up the most yardage in the league but somehow had 3 players named to the all-star team. Taylor Loffler got lost in zone coverage and gave up an easy TD to Adarius Bowman on Edmonton's first possession.

• Information