CFL All-Stars

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Congratulations to Bryan Burnham, Solomon Elimimian and Ty Long on being named CFL West Division All-Stars by the Football Reporters of Canada and CFL head coaches. Just three Lions made the team. Calgary and Winnipeg had seven selections each. Ex-Lion Jermarcus Hardrick, who was picked up by Winnipeg last year after stints with B.C. and Saskatchewan, was named a West Division all-star tackle. The full list:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/08/star-powe ... announced/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Those 3 guys are certainly worthy.

Way to go, Bryan, :thup:

Sollie :thup:

and Ty. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What ? No consideration for Antonio Johnson ? :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Derek Taylor of TSN, who charts every game in great detail and comes up with some amazing stats, believes (as I do) that Cody Husband was snubbed in the all-star voting.
Derek Taylor 🇨🇦 🏈‏Verified account
@DTonSC
No centre with double-digit starts allowed fewer pressures than @CodyHusband. All the more impressive on the offense allowing the most pressure.
He wasn't as kind to Ty Long, ranking Long as the league's worst punter based on net yards per punt. He thought Rob Maver should have been the West's all-star punter.
David
Team Captain

Isn't net punting average a bit misleading? I mean, is it Ty Long's fault that we had absolutely abysmal punt coverage this season? I agree there should be a more rigorous All-Star criteria than just gross average, so maybe it's punts inside the 10 or something as well.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:46 pm
Isn't net punting average a bit misleading? I mean, is it Ty Long's fault that we had absolutely abysmal punt coverage this season? I agree there should be a more rigorous All-Star criteria than just gross average, so maybe it's punts inside the 10 or something as well.

Yes, it is a reflection of the punt team as a whole. Long may to blame for outkicking his coverage, for being inexperienced at directional punting and for punting into the end zone too often rather than out of bounds inside the 10 yard line but B.C.’s cover teams were awful this year. In fact, Long saved several touchdowns by making tackles after everyone else missed. He was probably the league’s best tackler among punters but there are no awards for that.

Long had 8 punts out of bounds inside the 10 yard line, which tied for third most in the league, but he led the league by far with 11 punt singles, each of which subtracts 35 yards from his net average compared to kicking it out of bounds near the goal line.
David
Team Captain

I saw a huge improvement in Ty Long from the start of the year. By year's end, I thought he was actually able to place his punts rather well. I still maintain that he has the strongest punting leg in the league. I know Rob Maver wasn't happy with the decision, but I don't think it's an egregious error to name Ty Long as a West All-Star.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Winnipeg’s secondary is awful. They gave up the most yardage in the league but somehow had 3 players named to the all-star team. Taylor Loffler got lost in zone coverage and gave up an easy TD to Adarius Bowman on Edmonton's first possession.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL Players Association has announced its 2017 all-star team, voted on by the players and position coaches. Solomon Elimimian is the only Lion on the team.
OFFENCE:

Quarterback
Mike Reilly Edmonton Eskimos

Offensive Tackle
Stanley Bryant Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Chris Van Zeyl Toronto Argonauts

Offensive Guard
Travis Bond Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Matthew O'Donnell Edmonton Eskimos

Centre
Mathias Goossen Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Running Back
Andrew Harris Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Fullback
Declan Cross Toronto Argonauts

Slotback
SJ Green Toronto Argonauts, Brandon Zylstra Edmonton Eskimos

Wide Receiver
Greg Ellingson Ottawa REDBLACKS, Darvin Adams Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Long Snapper
Chad Rempel Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Special Teams
Roy Finch Calgary Stampeders

DEFENCE:

Defensive End
Willie Jefferson Saskatchewan Roughriders, Odell Willis Edmonton Eskimos

Defensive Tackle
Almondo Sewell Edmonton Eskimos, Micah Johnson Calgary Stampeders

Linebacker
Alex Singleton Calgary Stampeders, Solomon Elimimian BC Lions, Maurice Leggett Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Cornerback
Christopher Randle Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Tommie Campbell Calgary Stampeders

Halfback
TJ Heath Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Ed Gainey Saskatchewan Roughriders

Safety
Taylor Loffler Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Punter
Brett Maher Ottawa REDBLACKS

Place Kicker
Rene Paredes Calgary Stampeders

Head Coach
Mike O’Shea Winnipeg Blue Bombers
2017 CFLPA ALL STAR TEAM
David
Team Captain

So out of 29 possible positions to fill on the All-Star roster in a 9 team league, we only place 1?

Ouch!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:31 am
So out of 29 possible positions to fill on the All-Star roster in a 9 team league, we only place 1?

Ouch!

The only reason the Lions got the one player (Solly) on the All Star team was because the voters went with 2 MLBs.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Winnipeg had 10 players on the team, plus coach Mike O’Shea, who has still never won a playoff game after his latest special teams gaffe in the WSF.

I generally respect the opinions of players who select the CFLPA team but but there is something wrong with a process that selects 3 Winnipeg DBs plus nickelback Maurice Leggett when the Bomber defence gave up the most passing yards in the league by far.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Congratulations to Solomon Elimimian, Bryan Burnham and Ty Long. The three Lions who were named to the West Division all-star team were also named to the overall CFL all-star team, voted on by football reporters and head coaches. That's in contrast to the CFLPA all-star team, voted on by players and position coaches, where Solly was the only Lion.

There were 23 all-stars from the West and only 4 from the East. Hamilton and Montreal didn't have any all-stars.

Here's the official CFL all-star team:
OFFENCE
QB Mike Reilly EDM
RB Andrew Harris* WPG
REC Brandon Zylstra EDM
REC Greg Ellingson OTT
REC S.J. Green TOR
REC Bryan Burnham BC
REC Duron Carter SSK
C Sean McEwen* TOR
OG Brendon LaBatte* SSK
OG Matt O’Donnell* EDM
OT Stanley Bryant WPG
OT Chris Van Zeyl* TOR

DEFENCE
DE Charleston Hughes CGY
DE Willie Jefferson SSK
DT Micah Johnson CGY
DT Almondo Sewell EDM
LB Alex Singleton* CGY
LB Solomon Elimimian BC
SLB Kenny Ladler EDM
CB Chris Randle WPG
CB Ciante Evans CGY
HB Ed Gainey SSK
HB T.J. Heath WPG
S Taylor Loffler* WPG

SPECIAL TEAMS
K Rene Paredes* CGY
P Ty Long BC
RET Roy Finch CG

* National
STARS ALIGNED: 2017 CFL ALL-STARS REVEALED
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Thanks for posting the CFL All-Star list, B.C.FAN. I somehow missed ever seeing this year's Players Association version of same, but other than what you already mention about Solly making both lists, I'd be curious to see how they compare--i.e. who else is on both. My pet peeve about this list is the apparent complete oversight of the FB position! Apparently Rolly Lumbala and his fellow fullback/blocking backs are optional and/or completely disposable! I'd like to see how things would run in any given game without 'em! It's an insulting slight that really appalls me. Do both lists disrespect the position? I'd hope the Players Association would at least fully respect their own. But I'm disappointed everyone (coaches for sure) isn't on the ball with this. It is a position after all! And it has a pivotal (if not sexy) function. "How does it feel... to be a complete unknown?" asked Bob Dylan. I didn't realize it, but he was obviously (heh heh) writing about CFL fullbacks!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:05 pm
Thanks for posting the CFL All-Star list, B.C.FAN. I somehow missed ever seeing this year's Players Association version of same, but other than what you already mention about Solly making both lists, I'd be curious to see how they compare--i.e. who else is on both. My pet peeve about this list is the apparent complete oversight of the FB position! Apparently Rolly Lumbala and his fellow fullback/blocking backs are optional and/or completely disposable! I'd like to see how things would run in any given game without 'em! It's an insulting slight that really appalls me. Do both lists disrespect the position? I'd hope the Players Association would at least fully respect their own. But I'm disappointed everyone (coaches for sure) isn't on the ball with this. It is a position after all! And it has a pivotal (if not sexy) function. "How does it feel... to be a complete unknown?" asked Bob Dylan. I didn't realize it, but he was obviously (heh heh) writing about CFL fullbacks!
How many CFL teams deploy a FB as a starter? Answer: none. It is difficult to make All Star team as a backup. If they were going with a 4 receivers, 2 RBs All Star format, which they are not, then Messam would likely have been chosen over a FB.