Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 am
DanoT wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 am
The problem with Wally returning for another season is that with the coaching staff that he has assembled, missing the playoffs for 2018 is a distinct possibility. And if June Jones returns to Hamilton there may not be a western playoff crossover.

Wally could stay on and replace some assistants but a somewhat new batch of assistants might need more than one season to right the ship. So, another reason for Wally to say good bye.

Wally's ego cannot stand another loosing season and while one loosing season in 2017 does not really damage his legacy, a second loosing season (or third?) could. At age 67, Wally needs to retire now and he knows it but is reluctant to admit it.
I'm not saying it's not time for Wally to move on as I do think it's time for new younger blood. What I'm curious about is why names like Hufnagel (66 now) and Jones (65 in Feb) are getting so much cred as possible replacements given they are basically the same vintage as Buono. If Wally does decide to call it a day I certainly hope his positions are replaced by guys who can be long-term solutions. For sure whomever takes the VP or GM jobs should be somebody the organization envisions being here for at least the next decade. One would hope for the same for a HC however it seems to be more the exception than the rule for a HC to last more than 4 or 5 years.
Hufnagel gets cred due to his excellent body of work but pulling up stakes and moving to Vancouver at his age is a unrealistic pipe dream. At best he does 2-3 more seasons in Calgary and then retires.

June Jones, if he doesn't retire and decides to stay coaching will not likely consider a sideways move out of a situation in Hamilton where he has had success. June Junes coming to B.C. is just another day dream by unrealistic Lions fans.
The_Pauser
Legend

I think more plausible HC options would be Corey Chamblin from Toronto, Jacques Chapdelaine (please no), Mark Washington, Danny Maciocia, or Kelly Bates.

Not sure how I feel about most of the names. Chamblin would probably be on top of my list if those are the names. I wonder what Jeff Garcia is up to and if he would consider coming up here?
Roar you Lions roar!
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:40 am
I think more plausible HC options would be Corey Chamblin from Toronto, Jacques Chapdelaine (please no), Mark Washington, Danny Maciocia, or Kelly Bates.

Not sure how I feel about most of the names. Chamblin would probably be on top of my list if those are the names. I wonder what Jeff Garcia is up to and if he would consider coming up here?
Garcia's name popped up with Wally before but he pooh poohed it I think.

I'm no fan of Chamblin - we don't need Chamblin, Hervey type attitudes. The old Don Matthews wore thin in BC and got fired by Ackles for his prickly attitudes then. Closing practices is a Chamblin approach and at Surrey it'd just make people and the media mad (unless they force players to go DT to practice more often.

But the issue for Chamblin and even LaPolice or Benevides or Bellefuele etc - is what is going to be different this time over the last gig they had as HC? MOre of the same for any of those guys will result in their failure as the question speaks to their roles, relationships, structure of the staff and their roles. All things that kill coaches and teams.

I'm just fearful that Wally is the worst guy to hire a HC as he has never had any evident structure or process.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It was Galat who canned Matthews Toppy. Bob was long gone when that happened. He left at the start of the 86 season. Matthews was fired half way through the 87 season. The prickly attitude no doubt was still a big factor.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I don't know that there are any good answers. And because there aren't, it's likely Wally stays as HC/GM until he feels Geroy is ready for a larger role.

And I'm not bothered by that as much as I would be by the retention of much of the rest of the staff. Part of the reason you lose is because your gameday adjustments and game planning are inferior to those of your opponent, and that falls on the coordinators both of whom, along with Dorazio, should be shown the door (Dorazio should never have been brought back, frankly). If you'd like an assistant or two to take the fall for the defensive line as well, that's on Robin Ross.

It is unlikely that Wally would bring in a host of people he is unfamiliar with for a one year run. It is ill advised to bring the whole gang back in for another likely unproductive season. So if you replace both coordinators, you're likely a) bringing in a guy to take over for you in 2018 and b) promoting one other guy to the other coordinator position for the first time or c) promoting Marcel Bellefeuille and grooming a DC to be the next head coach.

Or you could say screw it and bring in Benevides to be the HC again. I'm sure the fanbase would love that.

I want no part of Maciocia. He, like Chapdelaine, is better suited for USport, is succeeding there and is close to earning a pension, I believe. That's part of the reason he didn't take a role in the Als front office prior to last season.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

LaPolice is the top HC choice imo. The Bombers screwed up when they fired him but made amends when they made him OC. He has to be given a lot of the credit for the both Nichols and Harris having career years.

Normally the average fan wouldn't even know who a team's OC is, but Lapo was very successful when he did Coach's Corner on TSN and the B.C. Lions while having a small Season Ticket base, they have a huge TV following. So a LaPolice signing could actually help return confidence to the fan base and help sell tickets.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Agreed. He is the best HC Candidate out there at the moment.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I concur with Blitz and DanoT, Buono's huge ego won't allow to quit when the Lions are down. The question is: what if the Lions have another season like this year and miss the playoffs again ? Will Buono return for another year to "right the ship ". He was at the helm when the good ship Lions went down.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally has very strong loyalty to Braley. Wally is the one trying to hold the franchise together. But he is failing, as it slips down the slope.

Wally has his own coaching issues, as times change. The competition is so tough, so modern. How many Head Coaches do not hold a game plan, play sheet and notes for quick reference? How many do not wear a head set? Times change. The field marshall needs full communication and integration into what will happen and what is happening.

The coaching philosophy and approach to game planning? Another huge issue. Wally sets the philosophy, but he delegates the Xs and Os to subordinates. He delegates the play calling to subordinates. I think we have seen the dysfunction that can result. It seems there is oftentimes a lack of integration, of cohesiveness, of sharpness. We see confusion far too often. We see breakdowns in all units, O, D and STs.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

I'd be happy with LaPo...probably should have included him on my list.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:10 pm
Wally has very strong loyalty to Braley. Wally is the one trying to hold the franchise together. But he is failing, as it slips down the slope.

Wally has his own coaching issues, as times change. The competition is so tough, so modern. How many Head Coaches do not hold a game plan, play sheet and notes for quick reference? How many do not wear a head set? Times change. The field marshall needs full communication and integration into what will happen and what is happening.

The coaching philosophy and approach to game planning? Another huge issue. Wally sets the philosophy, but he delegates the Xs and Os to subordinates. He delegates the play calling to subordinates. I think we have seen the dysfunction that can result. It seems there is oftentimes a lack of integration, of cohesiveness, of sharpness. We see confusion far too often. We see breakdowns in all units, O, D and STs.

Just IMO ...
Great post WCJ. The game is evolving a very fast pace with sophisticated game-planning. It's not just a case of "beating the man in front of you" anymore. Head coaches have to adapt with it and be nimble enough to make in-game adjustments on the fly. Wally's delegation approach is flawed IMO. I can often see him yelling at his "deer in the headlights" assistant that is trying to process what's happening on the field with a boss screaming in his ear. And we're seeing this disconnect on the field.

I would love it if CFL stats guru Steve Daniel tracked each team's brain cramps. %&*!-ups. Too many men in the huddle. Busted coverages. Forgetting the snap count. I am willing to bet that we were at or near the top of that list this year, and it starts at the top as far as I'm concerned.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JohnnyMusso
Champion

David Braley said changes will be made. He promised the ticket holders. If Wally is back as GM and coach and all his assistants, save 1 or 2, (but not OC & DC) then they have to make significant changes to the roster or else Braley will look foolish.

That is why I just do not buy into the theory that Wally's ego will be the driving force. Braley and Wally said they have to do what is best for the team and more than likely Wally will step aside and not be the coach no more, but still be the GM and use his experience to change the roster. Braley will want Wally to keep at least one and no way he just coach and not be GM.

Can you sell Wally Buono as coach anymore? If so then either or both OC and DC must go. Just changing the special teams and defensive line coach is not enough and I see those 2 positions as the most likely to change.

But who is the coach if that comes to pass? Lapolice already turned down Wally once and will do it again. No way he comes here with all the uncertainty and no way he goes to Montreal with the mess they are in and work for Kavis Reed.

I would not like the coach to be from the current staff, so that leaves others choices from CFL or former CFL assistants or someone from US colleges who had CFL ties before. Could Noel Thorpe be our next coach?

Anyone surprised no decision yet reached. Wally said it will be quick and already Thursday, so my guess is decision is announced next week, maybe Tuesday.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:05 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Just IMO ...
Great post WCJ. The game is evolving a very fast pace with sophisticated game-planning. It's not just a case of "beating the man in front of you" anymore. Head coaches have to adapt with it and be nimble enough to make in-game adjustments on the fly. Wally's delegation approach is flawed IMO. I can often see him yelling at his "deer in the headlights" assistant that is trying to process what's happening on the field with a boss screaming in his ear. And we're seeing this disconnect on the field.

I would love it if CFL stats guru Steve Daniel tracked each team's brain cramps. %&*!-ups. Too many men in the huddle. Busted coverages. Forgetting the snap count. I am willing to bet that we were at or near the top of that list this year, and it starts at the top as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks, David.

If Wally stays, I think we get the same old, same old.

If Wally cuts Braley loose, it is hard to see a top level candidate for HC jumping onboard a listing ship, especially as it might be just a one year gig.

Braley has become problem #1. And methinks Wally is problem #2. We have a logjam. Braley is reluctant to sell. And Wally is reluctant to abandon Braley. Braley thinks a few tweaks here and there and all will be fine. Delusional.

Braley found a way to rationalize staying for 2018. I expect he will find a way to rationalize staying for 2019.

The only hope I see is if Wally steps aside for Neil McAvoy as GM, and McAvoy is able to hire a top HC. And this with the hope that McAvoy and the new coach are not one year wonders, soon to be swept out by new ownership.

''This is another fine mess you've gotten us into, Stanley.''
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 pm
David Braley said changes will be made. He promised the ticket holders.
Just words. Mark Washington promised an attacking defence. Instead we get a passive defence that allows big plays. Buono promised an exciting offence with the addition of Chris Williams in the off season. How many receptions did Williams have ?
David
Team Captain

As a one-year fix, I can live with Mark Washington as HC and Noel Thorpe as our new DC. Would love Benny to come back as our ST coordinator, but that will never happen.

This is purely a hunch, but I believe MW can be a very good motivator. I've heard him speak and he's a damn fine orator. With so many young players, I think he can get more hustle, effort, and concentration from this group.

Of course, it will take a lot more to right the ship (improved offensive schemes, upgraded line play on both sides of the ball, improved special teams, and a healthy Travis would help), but I believe MW has the chops to do this. Again, pure gut instinct at play here. I am sure some others would disagree.

Roar, You Lions, Roar