Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Clearly Ed Hervey has had some influence here. Some of these coaches gone are not surprising. For months, several of us felt they would fire Robin Ross and Marcello Simmons. The special teams and defensive line were terrible this year, so no surprise they are gone. Marcel B is a bit surprising, but he may end up on the Montreal staff as OC, if Mark W gets the gig in Montreal. The biggest surprise is Khari Jones getting fired. I for one am glad he is gone, for never was a fan of his play calling and remember him calling all throwing plays in one game when Lions were on the other team's 3. Never once called a running play and we have one of the best RB's in the league. We ended up either kicking a field goal or getting nothing. I do not remember. Will be interesting who they hire for OC. The rest do not interest me much, but maybe Travis Moore comes back here as receivers coach.
VictoriaFan
Starter

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Will Wally try to lure George Cortez out of retirement for one more year? Likely they will find someone close to retirement or out of a job and not minding working for maybe one year, for better working than not.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:13 am
If Farhan is reporting this, it must be true. Clearly Ed Hervey has had some influence here.
Wally said as much when Ed was hired. He and Ed would sequester themselves behind closed doors and make their decisions on the staff. That's really the only way for it to happen given of the two Ed is the only one who will be there after the upcoming season. Even though there will be a new HC it could very well be somebody amongst the new hires. Regardless whoever is hired to replace the departed it has to be done with the thought that they will continue to work under Ed after Wally is gone.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Dan D should have been fired too. But he will retire with Wally after the 2018 season. Been with Wally the longest so Wally probably fought for him to stay one more year.
maxlion
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:49 am
Dan D should have been fired too. But he will retire with Wally after the 2018 season. Been with Wally the longest so Wally probably fought for him to stay one more year.
Maybe. Another possibility is that his future depends on the new OC. It may be that Wally does not want to fire him, but that he is willing to see him go if that is what the new OC wants, as happened when Tedford came in.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Tedford was the head coach not OC. I do not know if the OC has that much power. Usually the HC makes those decisions. I think Dan will be back. Gut feeling.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Like to see Jeff Garcia as the new OC. Doubt it will happen though.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

According to Farhan:

It appears I may have jumped the gun on one of these names. A decision has not yet been made on Bellefeuille. The other 3 are confirmed as not being brought back by #BCLions @CFLonTSN @CFL_News @TSN1040
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have confirmed the departures of Khari Jones, Marcello Simons and Robin Ross but not Marcel Bellefeuille.
BC Lions GM Ed Hervey and head coach Wally Buono today announced that offensive coordinator Khari Jones, special teams coordinator Marcello Simmons and defensive line coach Robin Ross will not return in 2018.

“We are grateful for the contributions these gentlemen have made to our organization and we wish them the best in the future,” said Buono.
BC LIONS ANNOUNCE CHANGES TO COACHING STAFF
leo4life
All Star

Claybrooks withdraws from the HC job in Montreal...will Reed hire Mr.Washington??
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I thought Khari Jones did pretty well with what he had. The biggest problem with the offence was that Jennings didn't use it well, ignoring his outside receivers and targeting his two inside slots on half his pass attempts, often throwing into double coverage and giving up the most interceptions in the league for the second straight year. The offence was by far the most diverse and most productive in the league when Lulay was at QB, and still led the league in red-zone efficiency overall.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Christmas came early for Lion fans.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I could see Bellefeuille being promoted to OC if he doesn't land a similar or better position in Montreal.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:26 am
Like to see Jeff Garcia as the new OC. Doubt it will happen though.
I hope it doesn't happen. The guy has next to zero coaching experience, He spent about 10 weeks with Montreal in 2014 as a "consultant" and QB Coach and 1 year as an "offensive assistant" with the Rams in 2015. That's his entire career coaching resume. He's not been on any pro or college coaching staff since the Rams in the past 2 years.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.