Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Khari can't possibly believe this as he's forgetting the reality check for HCs (and in his case the OC) that said that Jeff Reinbold quotes and that is 'if you don't have a QB or know where to get one, you won't last'!!!!!

The point is Khari - is that if actually have to have "talent" at that spot to use it. I'm not sure MTL can say that right now based on last year and of course the seasons since AC retired.

If he designs an offence that works for his QB so be it. If not, he'll not last.
“I’m going to come in fresh and feeling good about whoever we have at quarterback,” Jones said. “We’re going to make it work. As a quarterback, if nothing else, I was known for getting the ball into the end zone.

“I know there’s more than one way to get it done. Use the talent we have. If a guy shows me he can do something, I want to use that to our advantage and not necessarily rely on a system.”

My days in Tahsis itself were '66-'70 (off and on) and '71 in Gold River where I worked in the Wood Room. I did that there only because I needed to get to Vancouver more frequently than the sawmill allowed. Loved the sawmill - not so much the Woodroom were all we did was chip logs. I started SFU in Jan'69 and worked two summers for Tahsis Co. Those were the glory days of the lumber industry.
Hambone wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:55 am
Another Tahsis ex-pat Toppy. Having spent 23 years either going to school or working just over the mountains in Woss I'm well aware of Tahsis. I played hockey for Vernon Camp for a couple years. We had a couple Tahsis guys on the team. Eventually they put together their own team the Tahsis Road Warriors. I got picked up by them a couple of times for tournaments and often played against them in tournaments in Gold River or other north island locations. My brother is a Woods Manager for Nootka Sound Timber at their Kendrick Arm camp on Nootka Island. When they travel to camp for their 14 day shifts they launch out of Tahsis. Since relocating to PG and spending a lot of time in sawmills all over BC I frequently run across guys who worked in Tahsis in the 80s and 90s. On my current project with Interfor I've been working with the Maintenance Planner at Interfor in Castlegar who spent a few years at the Tahsis mills. The Interfor contact I had who put me in touch with the Project Manager for this work was also in Tahsis back in the day.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Cool stuff Toppy. The forest industry put a lot of kids through university. I went to school in Woss from 69 to 72. My only 2 years of minor hockey were played in Gold River after the arena opened in 70. My uncle moved into Gold River around 1962 when it was just a logging camp on the beach, before the pulp mill and current town were built. He was a boomman and later Boom Foreman for the logging division. He retired to the Comox Valley but moved back again 4 years ago. My cousin Doug who is same age as me, 60, never left. He started working for the logging division when he graduated from GR High and still works for them.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Matt Baker
Rookie

David wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:13 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 pm
MB told me not long after Buck went to the Bombers as a player that his dad believed he'd live in Winnipeg long term. I can't grasp that concept - but I've never lived outside Vancouver or Hong Kong other than 11 months and 10 and 8 month stints in Tahsis, BC
It's amazing the pull that Winnipeg has for certain guys. Buck Pierce, Paul LaPolice, and Doug Brown all come to mind (off the top of my head). These are Winnipeg "lifers." You could seemingly offer any one of them a 100% pay increase in another town and it's doubtful they'd leave the Manitoba capital.

Not that this should be completely surprising. I believe the place gets unfairly maligned. I have been to Winnipeg several times (although not in the winter) and viewed it quite favourably. But the devotion it receives from guys who are from elsewhere has always struck me as slightly odd.

DH :cool:
I
The three trips I have taken there with the Lions the past couple of seasons, I have had the exact same thought during the (long) bus ride from the downtown hotel to Investors Group Field. Something along the lines of 'Man, this place is ugly in certain spots, but I bet I could sell my condo, move here and live like a King.' I am sure that's what the guys you mention above have learned.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Matt Baker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:19 pm

I
The three trips I have taken there with the Lions the past couple of seasons, I have had the exact same thought during the (long) bus ride from the downtown hotel to Investors Group Field. Something along the lines of 'Man, this place is ugly in certain spots, but I bet I could sell my condo, move here and live like a King.' I am sure that's what the guys you mention above have learned.
No doubt Matt. Several Grey Cups ago '99 I think, I was driving from downtown to Burnaby 8 Rinks where we played the Grey Cup Snow Bowl game. With me was my real estate appraisal buddy from Surrey and Total-CFLer East Side Wally from Winnipeg. Wally got to asking Doug about values of some of the houses we were passing. I think we were on E.1st where many were older looking similar to many Winnipeg neighbourhoods Wally was familiar with. He was dumbfounded at the values Doug gave him saying they might be worth $70K back in the Peg. The gap has only exploded since then.

Even here in BC are cities where people can live very comfortably compared to Van. I bought my current PG townhouse in 2012. Built in the mid 90s it had Ben very nicely updated by the previous owner. Nicely located a mere 500 yards from the CN Centre where the Cougars play. Next to that is the Kin Centre complex with 3 more arenas, the Aquatic Centre and Rotary Field with some 15 soccer pitches. Many more amenities are within 5 minutes. It's a simple box style building but a 3 bedroom end unit with 2500 Sq feet of living space. Cost? $209K. Probably could put it on the market today for around $250K. Being ready to start thinking about where to retire even going back to the Comox Valley scares me as I'd need at least another $100K to get into something similar.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2018/01/04/lion ... us-howell/

''The addition of Markus Howell rounds-out the Leos’ offensive coaching staff for 2018 which also includes offensive line coach Dan Dorazio who enters his 15th season with the club, as well as running backs coach Mike Lionello who returns for his third season.''

Howell sounds like a good one.

Dan Dorazio is confirmed as OL coach. Mike Lionello as RB coach.

Some delay with the Dorazio and Lionello announcements. No doubt input from Jarious was part of the process.

No surprise re Dan Dorazio. The loyalty between him and Wally is strong.

Three big concerns for this fan re 2018. Pass protection. Pressure by our D on QBs. Breakdowns in pass coverage.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I suspect this will Dorazio's final season with the Lions. He'll be walking into the sunset with Buono when the season is over.
leo4life
All Star

Dorazio HC in 2019🤔
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

leo4life wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 am
Dorazio HC in 2019🤔
He might make a better HC than Oline coach.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/11/jari ... knowledge/

Excellent interview with Jarious Jackson. I have so much respect and admiration for this man. Says a lot of nice things about Wally. Talks about Jonathon Jennings and Travis Lulay of course.

Very happy with him as OC. He is new at it of course. Perhaps something of an unknown as an OC. But I like him in that capacity. We will see what he wants out of the offence. :thup:

2018-02-11_1808.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Another nice interview. Marcus Howell.

https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/11/mark ... he-roster/

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/09/jeff ... -building/

Good interview with Jeff Reinebold.

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Brian Helberg writes a fine little piece on Ed in the context of Black History Month. Well done.
https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/22/dive ... ed-hervey/
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 am
Brian Helberg writes a fine little piece on Ed in the context of Black History Month. Well done.
https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/22/dive ... ed-hervey/
Very solid article from Ed -- self-penned, more in depth than the previous one wherein he was quoted. Part of the CFL's approach to acknowledging Black History Month. Thumbs up to the league, and to Ed for sharing some personal powerful stuff.
David
Team Captain

Interesting piece on the Leos' new GM in this CTV News feature.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1336 ... tPageNum=1

A rather ominous warning from Ed, I thought:
Do not come in believing that because you are a star in the community program, that you are going to be seen the same when it comes to what we put on the field.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:33 pm
Interesting piece on the Leos' new GM in this CTV News feature.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1336 ... tPageNum=1

A rather ominous warning from Ed, I thought:
Do not come in believing that because you are a star in the community program, that you are going to be seen the same when it comes to what we put on the field.

I like that attitude. The job is not a given, you must win it.