Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:29 pm
I think both are back. Wally spoke highly of Mark recently saying he would make a good HC. They have not announced it, for they are probably going to announce all their coaches at the same time. If both were to be fired they would have been with the other 3 who got axed. No doubt in my mind they are both back.

The only one who could be gone is Marcel B if he gets the Als gig which looks more and more likely now.
I had a thought last week that if BC wasn't going to renew Washington they might let the Montreal thing play itself out first. Then if he did get the job he could take it without the indignity of being fired first. It was widely known he was in the running so why not do it that way.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
maxlion
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:29 pm
I think both are back. Wally spoke highly of Mark recently saying he would make a good HC. They have not announced it, for they are probably going to announce all their coaches at the same time. If both were to be fired they would have been with the other 3 who got axed. No doubt in my mind they are both back.

The only one who could be gone is Marcel B if he gets the Als gig which looks more and more likely now.
This seems plausible as well.

However, I think Dorazio's future will be determined in part by the new OC. Regarding Washington, while Wally seems to have a reputation of being stubbornly loyal to his favourites, we have also seen him be ruthless when the results weren't there (see Benevides, Chaps, Stubler, etc.). No doubt Hervey will have some say in this as well. At this point, I am not convinced that either Washington or Dorazio will be back. Wait and see.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Was just enjoying this little easy-going but character-revealing conversation on The Waggle (cfl.ca) between Davis Sanchez and Ed H. Here's the general link -- not sure if there's a way to get the specific conversation linked other than you just scrolling to it via this general link. (Apologies if someone's already provided this elsewhere.) Cheers.
https://www.cfl.ca/thewaggle/
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wally is a survivor. 28 years as the leader of CFL teams as GM, 24 of those as HC. That is surviving.

He stays with what and whom he knows and trusts. But he will make the change when he has to. After last year's stinker, he knows he needed change for 2018.

We have a new GM, albeit with a strange arrangement of authority. Wally and Ed are both each other's boss and subordinate.

And we see some coaching changes.

Khari Jones is out as OC, although some thought his work was far from the worst on the coaching staff. Many fans are very happy to see Jarious Jackson back with the Lions. I expect our passing game and running game can be vigorous, if, make that IF, we get good blocking up front. Once again, this fan thinks we may well see the return of Dan Dorazio as our OL coach. And that could very well mean many Look Out blocks for the quarterback. Pressures, hurries, sacks and hits galore.

Jeff Reinebold is about as far from Wally in his approach to coaching as is possible. One is ultra conservative and the other is radical. I expect Reinebold will get to run the STs the way he wants. I can't imagine him going over to a philosophy that is just not him. I think he would rather just get on his motorcycle and ride away.

Once again, this fan thinks we may well see the return of Mark Washington as DC. And that would probably mean more of the very, very soft zone pass defence, and more of the same lack of pressure on the opposing quarterback that we have seen. Easy to read game plans for opposing OCs.

We see change. That is encouraging. But it just might seem like the same old same old, as the season progresses. No sure thing Mark and Dan are back, but I think the odds favour their return. If the O Line is a sieve, if the defence looks as soft as ever, things will not look that much different than they have for years. At least STs may show some spark, some initiative, some boldness, some detailed, fresh preparation and some excitement.

Wally, Dan and Mark are survivors, the latter two having had the grace to be safely ensconced working in Wally's World.

Tempering my hopes and enthusiasm for now.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.bclions.com/2017/12/21/mark ... oin-staff/

OK. So Mark Washington is back. Not a surprise.

I think his character is outstanding. A good public speaker. No doubt very hard working.

1. Personnel choices in the DL

But the personnel choices, and the desired prototypes, in the DL must have his fingerprints all over them. (I like the choices for DB. Those guys are loaded with talent. Do they mess up coverages? Yes.)

2. Soft zone defence

The soft zone defence with very deep drops, might be his choice, although he oftentimes spoke about having an aggressive defence. Or the philosophy of soft zone might be Wally's preference. Dave Ritchie was his own man, with vast experience. Wally has mentored Mark from the start of his coaching career. I expect he is still Wally's preference for Head Coach in 2019. Ed's preference? That remains to be seen.

3. Lack of pressure on the opposing QB

We did not get enough pressure on QBs. That is a killer in the CFL.

4. Breakdowns in pass coverage

Our DBs oftentimes had major breakdowns in coverage. One can justify anything. Poor personnel, too many changes, et cetera.

But those are major weaknesses in a defence. And Mark has been DC since Mike Benevides became Head Coach back in 2012.

I think Mark is a fine guy, but this fan does not like the philosophy of defence he has run, and will no doubt continue to run.

It is mandatory to get good pressure on the QB.

And it is mandatory to protect your own QB. That brings us to the other major shoe that will soon drop. I expect Dan Dorazio will be back as OL coach.

We made some changes. Enough? If we do not shore up the pass protection, and do not ramp up the QB pressure by our defence, I think we will hard pressed to make the playoffs. Where were the weak spots in the league in 2017? Montreal. And us.

Three units. Offence needs better pass blocking and QB protection. Will we see improvement there? Defence needs better pass rushing and far fewer blown coverages. Will we see improvement there? STs. We have hopes of modernization there, and we can expect more detailed and much better game preparation.

If my apprehension turns out to be groundless, I will be very happy. At this time I find I can enjoy the games anyway, even when you go 7-11.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Washington returning, what a surprise that is :shock: :shock:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:59 pm

I think his character is outstanding. A good public speaker. No doubt very hard working.

But the personnel choices, and the desired prototypes, in the DL must have his fingerprints all over them. (I like the choices for DB. Those guys are loaded with talent. Do they mess up coverages? Yes.)

2. Soft zone defence

The soft zone defence with very deep drops, might be his choice, although he oftentimes spoke about having an aggressive defence. Or the philosophy of soft zone might be Wally's preference. Dave Ritchie was his own man, with vast experience. Wally has mentored Mark from the start of his coaching career. I expect he is still Wally's preference for Head Coach in 2019. Ed's preference? That remains to be seen.

Our DBs oftentimes had major breakdowns in coverage. One can justify anything. Poor personnel, too many changes, et cetera.

But those are major weaknesses in a defence. And Mark has been DC since Mike Benevides became Head Coach back in 2012.

I think Mark is a fine guy, but this fan does not like the philosophy of defence he has run, and will no doubt continue to run.

And it is mandatory to protect your own QB. That brings us to the other major shoe that will soon drop. I expect Dan Dorazio will be back as OL coach.

We made some changes. Enough? If we do not shore up the pass protection, and do not ramp up the QB pressure by our defence, I think we will hard pressed to make the playoffs. Where were the weak spots in the league in 2017? Montreal. And us.

Three units. Offence needs better pass blocking and QB protection. Will we see improvement there? Defence needs better pass rushing and far fewer blown coverages. Will we see improvement there? STs. We have hopes of modernization there, and we can expect more detailed and much better game preparation.

If my apprehension turns out to be groundless, I will be very happy. At this time I find I can enjoy the games anyway, even when you go 7-11.

Just IMO ...
Well said WC Joe. Rewarding mediocrity. Great scheme if you happen to be a all-star caliber LB as #56 and #44 have proven. But d-line has been a black hole with how many bodies rotating thru in last 6 years? Secondary always vulnerable and defence has been shredded in 5 years worth of playoff games.
IMHO he is gone with Wally if it’s another similar season.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:25 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:59 pm

2. Soft zone defence

Just IMO ...
Well said WC Joe. Rewarding mediocrity. Great scheme if you happen to be a all-star caliber LB as #56 and #44 have proven. But d-line has been a black hole with how many bodies rotating thru in last 6 years? Secondary always vulnerable and defence has been shredded in 5 years worth of playoff games.
IMHO he is gone with Wally if it’s another similar season.
Thanks, Sammy.

Coach to Evans, thinking it is Shirley: "Shirley, you guys all look the same to me. And, seriously, can't any of you International rush ends play?"

Evans: "Sure we can play, Coach. I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.""

Evans. Boatright. Shirley. Some others. I know some guys think Evans can play. Odds are they are all gone next year except Knapton. Maybe Roh gets to stay. Maybe. International DTs? All gone IMO.

ffff

Blitz
Team Captain

As I look at the Lions staff and the differences already from 2017 to 2018, I like the changes we have made so far this off-season.

While I would have preferred a different Head Coach, defensive coordinator, and offensive line coach for 2018, our Lions staff is much improved for this upcoming season.

The following are all upgrades from 2017.

President: Rich LeLacheur brings experience as former President and CEO of the Edmonton Eskimos. and a marketing background. He begins his job in January and he has a lot of work to do after the dismal leadership or rather non-leadership that we got from Skulsky.

General Manager: Ed Hervey will do a better job of GM than Buono did in that role last season. Hervey has quickly identified that our priority for 2018 will be to upgrade the talent of our offensive and defensive lines, something Buono did not do last season. Instead he traded away our best offensive lineman for a small receiver coming off ACL surgery. .

Hervey will likely also do a better job of signing free agents who can help us. Last season Buono's free agent signings brought us little favor.

Torey Hunter: Hunter, as our new Director of Player Personnel and Player Development will bring a fresh face to this important area of football operations. Neil McEvoy remains in place as our Lions’ director of football operations, while Simon will remain director of Canadian scouting, while adding the job of CFL draft co-ordinator to his role.

Jarious Jackson: Jarious will be an upgrade on Khari Jones. Jackson has a low key but strong presence. Buono respects his leadership qualities. Jarious is his own man - he is not the sycophant type. How much discretion Jarious will have to do his thing is questionable. Every Leos offensive coordinator has been required to implement the old playbook but if anyone can venture somewhat away from it, Jackson is the best hope.

Randy Melvin: This is a much bigger signing than has garnered attention. Melvin did an outstanding job the last time he was with us. He is a quality defensive line coach who will quickly garner respect from his players and get the best out of them. Melvin is tough, smart, and experienced.

So, when I look at 2018, we have an experienced President and a full time one to boot, a new GM who can bring in talent, a new Director of Player Personnel who will target specific areas of need, a new offensive coordinator who has experience and leadership ability and presence, and a new defensive line coach who has proven he can get it done.

All bode well for 2018. If things keep going in this positive direction even Buono may have a difficult time screwing things up. A good pass rush can compensate for Washington's deficiencies. Jackson is stuck with Dorazio but he will try get away from Khari Jones over-focus on throwing to the slotbacks too often and spread the football out more.

Buono, not in great health in 2017, is returning so he can go out in glory and these changes make that outcome much more possible.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’m happy with he changes that have been made so far. The two biggest questions for the football operations staff going into the 2018 season are:

1. Can Ed Hervey upgrade the Lions’ offensive and defensive lines? The biggest problem in both cases is lack of international talent. There aren’t a lot of options available through CFL free agency. Upgrades will have to be found through U.S. scouting and possibly trades.

2. Can Jarious Jackson help Jonathon Jennings see the whole field and break him of his tendency to target his two inside slots on 50% of his pass attempts, even if they’re double covered? Khari Jones couldn’t help Jennings develop into a more cerebral quarterback and neither could teammate and unofficial coach Travis Lulay, who took the offence to another level during his four starts in 2017.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:41 am
Jackson is stuck with Dorazio but he will try get away from Khari Jones over-focus on throwing to the slotbacks too often and spread the football out more.
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:26 am
2. Can Jarious Jackson help Jonathon Jennings see the whole field and break him of his tendency to target his two inside slots on 50% of his pass attempts, even if they’re double covered?
Was it Khari, Wally and the offensive philosophy making JJ10 throw to the slots too much? Or was it JJ10 himself?

This fan leans more towards the offensive philosophy, the entire structure and focus of the offence as the reason. It used to focus on Geroy. Now it focuses on Manny and Bryan. Get the ball in the hands of your best player. Double-covered deep? Doesn't matter.

If time in the pocket does not exist, go long to the outs, or short to the slots? Focus on the slots.

Did our receivers, and the routes they run create space? No.

Did we feature passes to a running back? No.

Did our offence force defences to pay strict attention to our wideouts? No.

Did our pass protection give time for longer routes to develop? No.

And then it all comes back to the slots. They are the focus of our out-dated spread offence passing attack.

But Lulay ... Yes, Lulay made it work for a while. Experience. Extreme mobility which breaks down a defence. (Lulay is one of the most mobile and elusive QBs this football fan has seen, anywhere.) Improvisation. Playing brilliant ball. And good talent to throw to. How would a third string QB have done in our offence? Ouch ... And Jennings made it work for stretches of time, 300 yard games.

This fan maintains a very high belief in the talent of JJ10. But any QB needs a state of the art offence, game planning, deceptive routes, and, most importantly, good pass protection to thrive.

Hopefully JJ7 can help J10 (and Lulay) create a more consistent passing game. But still, the pass protection is an absolutely huge part of that package. Bo Levi and Ricky Ray would have been on their backs looking up at the stars and moon in our offence. They would have been in sick bay in short order.

Ed and Wally moved Khari out. Whatever prompted that decision, hopefully we see improvement in the offence.

Needs? Better pass protection. Better passing game design.

Just IMO ... Others see it differently.

Blitz
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:33 am
Blitz wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:41 am
Jackson is stuck with Dorazio but he will try get away from Khari Jones over-focus on throwing to the slotbacks too often and spread the football out more.
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:26 am
2. Can Jarious Jackson help Jonathon Jennings see the whole field and break him of his tendency to target his two inside slots on 50% of his pass attempts, even if they’re double covered?
Was it Khari, Wally and the offensive philosophy making JJ10 throw to the slots too much? Or was it JJ10 himself?

This fan leans more towards the offensive philosophy, the entire structure and focus of the offence as the reason. It used to focus on Geroy. Now it focuses on Manny and Bryan. Get the ball in the hands of your best player. Double-covered deep? Doesn't matter.

If time in the pocket does not exist, go long to the outs, or short to the slots? Focus on the slots.

Did our receivers, and the routes they run create space? No.

Did we feature passes to a running back? No.

Did our offence force defences to pay strict attention to our wideouts? No.

Did our pass protection give time for longer routes to develop? No.

And then it all comes back to the slots. They are the focus of our out-dated spread offence passing attack.

But Lulay ... Yes, Lulay made it work for a while. Experience. Extreme mobility which breaks down a defence. (Lulay is one of the most mobile and elusive QBs this football fan has seen, anywhere.) Improvisation. Playing brilliant ball. And good talent to throw to. How would a third string QB have done in our offence? Ouch ... And Jennings made it work for stretches of time, 300 yard games.

This fan maintains a very high belief in the talent of JJ10. But any QB needs a state of the art offence, game planning, deceptive routes, and, most importantly, good pass protection to thrive.

Hopefully JJ7 can help J10 (and Lulay) create a more consistent passing game. But still, the pass protection is an absolutely huge part of that package. Bo Levi and Ricky Ray would have been on their backs looking up at the stars and moon in our offence. They would have been in sick bay in short order.

Ed and Wally moved Khari out. Whatever prompted that decision, hopefully we see improvement in the offence.

Needs? Better pass protection. Better passing game design.

Just IMO ... Others see it differently.
I see it exactly the same. Its a slot oriented offence and the slots run deeper routes than most teams.

The problem is that you can't execute this offence successfully from the quarterback position by staying in the pocket, especially with our pass protection. In other words the quarterback had to have an attitude of 'making plays' rather than executing the offence, to make it work.

Lulay made it work for four games this season. They were the best four games of his career. He made it work by keeping the football on the inside zone read, he made it work by moving inside the pocket, he made it work by being a dual threat quarterback, and he got hurt trying to make a play as a duel threat quarterback.

When defenses kept Lulay in the pocket most of the time in 2015, he couldn't make it work.

The key to future success is not who is playing quarterback for our B.C. Lions but rather who is designing the offence and who is working with the quarterback.

Hopefully Jarious will be allowed to make the changes that are necessary. That has not happened before, to any great degree, no matter who our offensive coordinator was. But Wally desperately wants to go out on top. So desperate that he will allow an offensive coordinator to move away from the past?

Wally is a rigid man but he has shown brief periods of time when he could be flexible. I'm hoping that will be for the entire 2018 season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sounds to me like that 2017 offence as described was a product of Wally allowing his OC to build and run it as the OC sees fit. I think it had Khari's fingerprints all over it. To the best of my recollection It sounds exactly like the Bomber offence Khari ran quite successfully in his big years as QB in Winnipeg. Stegall running deep routes was the bread and butter of that offence.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:02 am
Sounds to me like that 2017 offence as described was a product of Wally allowing his OC to build and run it as the OC sees fit. I think it had Khari's fingerprints all over it. To the best of my recollection It sounds exactly like the Bomber offence Khari ran quite successfully in his big years as QB in Winnipeg. Stegall running deep routes was the bread and butter of that offence.
I don't think so Hambone. The offence has always been a pocket passing, slot oriented offence with the left inside slot being the go to receiver. There was little difference in this season's offence than the one Khari ran in 2014 or the one that Cortez ran in 2015 or the one JC ran in 2013.

When we won the cup in 2011, we were a slot oriented passing offence with Geroy and Bruce as our go to receivers, especially in key situations. Fast forward to 2016 and it was Manny and Burnham playing those roles.

The passing offence is very littel changed from 2005. Not sure why you saw Khari creating his own offensive system. Its the same playbook that has been used by Chap, Dorazio, Chap again, Khari, Cortez, and Khari again have utilized. We've also used the same inside zone read running play for years and years.

Or as the old saying goes, the more things change, the more they remain the same.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I'm not saying Khari changed anything. I guess I'm just saying he operated the offence the exact same way I expected him to run it based on what he worked with in Winnipeg. I expected more push downfield than what I'd seen under Chap and briefly Cortez.