Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

QB Club 63
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:04 am
It looks like today is the day.

dEAr SaNta,

FOr chRIStMas tHis YeaR i wouLD LIKe tO seE brYAN cHiU hirED by mY bC LioNS aS ThE neW ofFEnsiVE liNE COach. :cr: :cr: :cr:

tHAnk Yuo,

yoUR frIENd,
qB CLub 63 :roar:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:07 am
While serving as Co Offensive Coordinator BC set the franchise record for wins going 14-3-1 and led the CFL in points scored. -- from Stef Kruk's bio at Arizonza Christian University
He was a friendly guy to the fans, seemingly not in Wally's inner circle.
Maybe not WCJ but nonetheless Kruck was on Wally's staff for 6 seasons.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

QB Club 63 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:30 am

dEAr SaNta,

FOr chRIStMas tHis YeaR i wouLD LIKe tO seE brYAN cHiU hirED by mY bC LioNS aS ThE neW ofFEnsiVE liNE COach. :cr: :cr: :cr:

tHAnk Yuo,

yoUR frIENd,
qB CLub 63 :roar:
You may need to wait until closer to Christmas for Santa. This will no doubt be about clarifying Wally's position(s). If there are any additions to be announced I think it would be only for replacements for Wally himself should he be stepping back from any of his current 3 positions. He/they may also announce that certain assistants won't be returning but I don't expect there to be any announcements regarding replacements for them at this time. Historically when Wally has made changes to the coaching staff he has typically waited until all positions have been filled and announces and introduces the new staff for the upcoming season all at the same time. Of course if Wally is stepping down from HC then the job of assembling a new coaching staff would fall into the lap of the new HC and that could take a couple of weeks for him to go through that process.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TSN 1040 will livestream the Lions' presser at 11 a.m. The Lions will also livestream it on their Facebook page at facebook.com/BCLions/

There's lots of speculation about what might be announced. Would the Lions call it a "major football operations announcement" if Wally was planning to come back in his current role? I expect a retirement announcement of some sorts.

Bro Jake and Dave Pratt were speculating on air that Geroy Simon will become GM and Khari Jones will be named head coach. Pratt believes Jones will be a head coach somewhere soon, if not here.

My ideal scenario would be a well-deserved retirement for Wally, who would remain as consultant for six months under terms of his current contract with David Braley. I would promote Neil McEvoy to VP of football operations (the most senior of Wally's current titles) and name Geroy as GM. Geroy would become the well-recognized face and voice of the football operations but McEvoy would be there to oversee player personnel and contracts and provide the voice of experience to Geroy. One of the coordinators, likely Mark Washington, would eventually be promoted to head coach. It may not all happen today, and may not happen at all, but I'll be disappointed if the "major football operations announcement" is the retention of the status quo.
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:16 am
TSN 1040 will livestream the Lions' presser at 11 a.m. The Lions will also livestream it on their Facebook page at facebook.com/BCLions/

There's lots of speculation about what might be announced. Would the Lions call it a "major football operations announcement" if Wally was planning to come back in his current role? I expect a retirement announcement of some sorts.

Bro Jake and Dave Pratt were speculating on air that Geroy Simon will become GM and Khari Jones will be named head coach. Pratt believes Jones will be a head coach somewhere soon, if not here.

My ideal scenario would be a well-deserved retirement for Wally, who would remain as consultant for six months under terms of his current contract with David Braley. I would promote Neil McEvoy to VP of football operations (the most senior of Wally's current titles) and name Geroy as GM. Geroy would become the well-recognized face and voice of the football operations but McEvoy would be there to oversee player personnel and contracts and provide the voice of experience to Geroy. One of the coordinators, likely Mark Washington, would eventually be promoted to head coach. It may not all happen today, and may not happen at all, but I'll be disappointed if the "major football operations announcement" is the retention of the status quo.
I could get behind this, up until the point where you mention one of the coordinators eventually being promoted to head coach. I think we need a clean slate among our coaching ranks. Our defense wasn't good enough, our offense was an embarrassment, and our play on the line on both sides of the football was unacceptable.

McEvoy has worked under Wally for a long time now, and has a firm understanding of how the job works. Geroy has apprenticed for the past two years and is probably ready for a larger role. I think your front office suggestion could definitely work. The key will still be our scouts. In pro football there's a heavy reliance on scouting and uncovering those gems coming out of college that don't make the NFL. We did extremely well when we have OB and even Shivers working the head scouting roles. I'm not sure who our regional scouts were during that time period, or if they have changed, but if we have a group of strong scouts we should be fine.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 am
B.C.FAN wrote:

I could get behind this, up until the point where you mention one of the coordinators eventually being promoted to head coach. I think we need a clean slate among our coaching ranks. Our defense wasn't good enough, our offense was an embarrassment, and our play on the line on both sides of the football was unacceptable.

McEvoy has worked under Wally for a long time now, and has a firm understanding of how the job works. Geroy has apprenticed for the past two years and is probably ready for a larger role. I think your front office suggestion could definitely work. The key will still be our scouts. In pro football there's a heavy reliance on scouting and uncovering those gems coming out of college that don't make the NFL. We did extremely well when we have OB and even Shivers working the head scouting roles. I'm not sure who our regional scouts were during that time period, or if they have changed, but if we have a group of strong scouts we should be fine.
I've been giving a lot of this some thought and find McEvoy to be an interesting one to try figuring out as far as fit. I was discussing it with several of my Eskimo fan buddies out in Ottawa. They were hearing rumours of Hervey resurfacing here and bringing Franklin with him. They asked me if I'd heard anything. My response was there's been nothing like that floated around on the West Coast. About only mention of Hervey I've heard is just in the odd post by Lionbackers spitballing about who might be a consideration if Wally stepped aside. In chewing the fat with the Esk fans I did express that I wondered if McEvoy really covets a GM job. When somebody is a GM they tend to become a much more public figure. I've been wondering if that aspect might not be so appealing to Neil and perhaps he might enjoy his current role and prefer to continue cruising along under the radar in what is still a very important role while leaving the GM job to someone more comfortable in the spotlight. BC Fan's suggestion that McEvoy becoming VP Football Ops with Geroy as GM was something I hadn't considered but might be a great option.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:51 am

I've been giving a lot of this some thought and find McEvoy to be an interesting one to try figuring out as far as fit. I was discussing it with several of my Eskimo fan buddies out in Ottawa. They were hearing rumours of Hervey resurfacing here and bringing Franklin with him. They asked me if I'd heard anything. My response was there's been nothing like that floated around on the West Coast. About only mention of Hervey I've heard is just in the odd post by Lionbackers spitballing about who might be a consideration if Wally stepped aside. In chewing the fat with the Esk fans I did express that I wondered if McEvoy really covets a GM job. When somebody is a GM they tend to become a much more public figure. I've been wondering if that aspect might not be so appealing to Neil and perhaps he might enjoy his current role and prefer to continue cruising along under the radar in what is still a very important role while leaving the GM job to someone more comfortable in the spotlight. BC Fan's suggestion that McEvoy becoming VP Football Ops with Geroy as GM was something I hadn't considered but might be a great option.
I would be surprised if McEvoy didn't want the GM job. I've spoken with him a few times and never got any inkling that he wouldn't be interested in something like that.

Ed Hervey though would be an interesting hire. Would be a fresh direction, and he did a good job building up the Eskimos and saw them win a Grey Cup during his tenure (as well as 2 other trips to the division finals). Hervey and Franklin here would be something I could get behind. I would still bring Lulay back as I believe he's an important part of our team, as well as our future in terms of a future coaching possibility.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Sources on twitter suggest Ed Hervey is likely being added to the BC Lions front office. Apparently he and Buono have a good relationship and have talked on more than one occasion this season.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am
Sources on twitter suggest Ed Hervey is likely being added to the BC Lions front office. Apparently he and Buono have a good relationship and have talked on more than one occasion this season.
Great and somewhat surprising as Wally does go outside for at least one front office position. Seems more and more he very well could be headed to just the advisory role. Where will this leave McElvoy & Geroy?

And suddenly the Lions pursuing Franklin over Jennings is very much in the picture if Harvey is onboard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:

Khari has moved ahead of Mark W in the handicapping of the race to HC? Surprise. I do think his offence has shown more spark than Mark's defence.

Geroy over Neil for GM? Also a surprise. Might not Neil's nose be a bit out of joint with being bypassed? I would hope to keep both of these men in the organization.

Whatever ... but if it is just about maintaining the status quo, with Wally as GM and HC, then the "major football operations announcement" was very misleading.

Got some reservations about Ed Hervey. If he is hired as GM, I will be shocked and disappointed. I would consider it a kick in the pants to McAvoy and Simon. But he is a bold decision maker. He will shake things up.

One other consideration ... I think Hervey would be his own man. I wonder if Wally felt he could not avoid tinkering, if he chose men who have been with him seemingly forever.

And one other consideration. If the changes do not work out, there will be a new owner down the road, and key people will no doubt be shown the door.

It has our attention.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
The_Pauser
Legend

As per Farhan Lalji - Ed Hervey will be the next GM of the BC Lions.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Nothing would turn me off more as a longtime Lions fan than to have Hervey's anti-fan and anti-media presence in the B.C. front office. Here's my post from April, when he was deservedly fired in Edmonton.
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:16 pm
Good riddance. Hervey's elitist isolationism can't be tolerated. The league depends on fan engagement and interaction, and needs as much publicity as it can get. Shutting the players from fans and media and allowing his coach to refuse to wear a live mic during TSN broadcast undemines the franchise and its business partners.

Edmonton media were happy to see Hervey go.
Terry Jones: Hervey bullied his way right out the Eskimos' door

Dan Barnes: Ed Hervey ousted as Eskimos GM after philosophical clash with president Len Rhodes
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 am
Nothing would turn me off more as a longtime Lions fan than to have Hervey's anti-fan and anti-media presence in the B.C. front office. Here's my post from April, when he was deservedly fired in Edmonton.
B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:16 pm
Good riddance. Hervey's elitist isolationism can't be tolerated. The league depends on fan engagement and interaction, and needs as much publicity as it can get. Shutting the players from fans and media and allowing his coach to refuse to wear a live mic during TSN broadcast undemines the franchise and its business partners.

Edmonton media were happy to see Hervey go.
Terry Jones: Hervey bullied his way right out the Eskimos' door

Dan Barnes: Ed Hervey ousted as Eskimos GM after philosophical clash with president Len Rhodes
I thought Wally returning with the status quo would turn fans off the most?

Maybe Hervey has learned from his mistakes? Let's see where this goes.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 am
As per Farhan Lalji - Ed Hervey will be the next GM of the BC Lions.
Wow. Wally clearly not endorsing his support staff. Major kudos to him given how long he has worked with McElvoy and Geroy. Must not have been easy. Going to be a very interesting off season after all.
CardiacKid
Legend

Lots of conjecture, potentially a very substantial announcment.

My only substantive wish is Wally steps back and not because I have issue with how he coaches, manages, etc.

No, I simply believe he deserves a break, he deserves to be a grand-dad and deserves to not be subjected to the tribulations of running the football operations of a team that is essentially adrift from an operations standpoint.

I truly believe he was strung along by Braley and feels he can't in good faith work with the man any more....

Just a hunch, no proof other assessing body language, tone and the time line of promises not met or kept.