Football Operations: GM Ed Hervey, HC Wally Buono and the Coaching Staff

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Rick Dhaliwal‏
@DhaliwalSports

Been told Braley in town to go over next year's business plan, no Buono announcement expected this week.

So will have to wait till after Grey Cup now. Seems Wally likely back in some capacity if Braley telling him the business plan.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

"meeting with the coach and gm Wally Buono and the rest of the staff"

I can't see them handing out a bunch of pink slips.

Sounds more like he believes in them, but they have to make improvements in how they do things for next year.

It sounds like Braley figures some tweaks in the operation are all that are needed in order to once again compete for the Grey Cup. Sounds like more of the same to me. Sounds like same old, same old.

It sounds like Braley very much wants Wally back next year. I would expect Wally to say yes.

Just IMO ...

2017-11-15_1711.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/11/15/paul-lapo ... xt-season/
Paul LaPolice to remain with Bombers next season

Johany Jutras/CFL.ca

WINNIPEG — Winnipeg Blue Bombers head coach Mike O’Shea confirmed on Wednesday that offensive coordinator Paul LaPolice will remain with the organization next season.

This season, LaPolice helped lead the Bombers to 12-6 record and to hosting their first playoff game since 2011 before the team was eliminated in the Western Semi-Final.

LaPolice re-joined the Bombers in 2016 as offensive coordinator after spending time as head coach between 2010-12. He helped turn the Bombers around from a 4-14 record in 2010 to 10-8 the following year. In 2011, the Bombers finished first in the East Division for the first time since 2001 and lost to the BC Lions in the Grey Cup. After the team’s poor start to the 2012 season, LaPolice was relieved of his duties and spent time as a broadcaster for three years making appearances on TSN.
I don't think this announcement means much.

Yes, the Bombers want LaPolice back. No doubt he is under contract.

But, if the Lions ask for permission to talk to him, there is the understanding that teams do not stand in the way, if a coach has an offer for a higher position.

Would LaPolice want to be Head Coach of the Lions. He might have reservations. Apparently he was approached once before, for OC I think. Would LaPolice believe he would have a free hand without interference?

This announcement does, however, make one think that we are very likely to experience more of the same, that we have come to know as Lions fans.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :wink: That might be how Braley sees it. Wally might see it that way too.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Cannot sell the same old crew? Ulrich said if Wally back as head coach they have to change some of the assistants, otherwise their attendance will continue to go down. Also what happens if they bring back everyone and next season they miss the playoffs again?

Then what do they do?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 am
Just read that. I think a decision is needed sooner than later. They need to sell tickets, sign free agents and make a list of candidates if there is a new coach. Though Mark W is rumoured to be a strong candidate. I heard David Pratt suggest it could be Khari Jones. As for the latter, I sure hope not.
Given David Pratt's record of predictions, it will definitely not going to be Khari Jones.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Remember WCJ that after the Riders pilfered the entire Eskimo coaching staff and Thorpe tried to quit and jump immediately to Maas' staff Commish Orridge put in place a policy regarding coach movements in the offseason. Lapolice appears to be under contract for 2018. Yes BC or anybody else can seek permission to talk to Lapo. The new caveat is that the team the coach is under contract to is entitled to ask for compensation. Compensation must be negotiated and agreed upon with written details submitted to the Commissioner BEFORE the interested club can begin talks. Basically it means teams have to trade for permission.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:48 am
If all the coaches are at the meeting today, does that mean they all are coming back? If any of them are to be fired, it would be in an one on one meeting with Wally, not a group meeting. It just makes me wonder why Braley meeting with them all instead of just Wally. Unless some retire or resign to look elsewhere, they may be all back again, which would be a disaster for you cannot sell the same old crew again.
Or fire the entire lot :wink: :cr: :cr:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 pm
Cannot sell the same old crew? Ulrich said if Wally back as head coach they have to change some of the assistants, otherwise their attendance will continue to go down. Also what happens if they bring back everyone and next season they miss the playoffs again?

Then what do they do?
Bring them all back for another kick at the can. :wink:
leo4life
All Star

I dont support the promotion of any current assitants...Wally needs to annouce his retirement & remaining staff cleaned out...Lions cannot sell this same staff again under a classic Bouno spin job...pathetic if this is what happens
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm
Remember WCJ that after the Riders pilfered the entire Eskimo coaching staff and Thorpe tried to quit and jump immediately to Maas' staff Commish Orridge put in place a policy regarding coach movements in the offseason. Lapolice appears to be under contract for 2018. Yes BC or anybody else can seek permission to talk to Lapo. The new caveat is that the team the coach is under contract to is entitled to ask for compensation. Compensation must be negotiated and agreed upon with written details submitted to the Commissioner BEFORE the interested club can begin talks. Basically it means teams have to trade for permission.
Hambone,

Leave it to the Riders and Jones to mess things up.

Sounds like O'Shea would not let LaPolice go without compensation.

See below for details of the Orridge policy.

And I recall Austin would not let Sreinauer leave the TiCats (no move clause).

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/01/28/ ... es-growth/

http://www.tsn.ca/orridge-pushes-pause- ... l-1.410333

These considerations add weight to my thinking that we can expect the status quo here.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/01/28/ ... es-growth/
The talk of compensation for coordinators leaving for a promotion to head coach on another team began with the Ottawa Redblacks’ Jason Maas, who left for the vacant Edmonton Eskimos head coach job. The Eskimos’ position became open after general manager Ed Hervey allowed Chris Jones to leave for Saskatchewan to fill a multiple duty role as vice president of football ops, general manager, head coach, and defensive coordinator. The Eskimos asked for no compensation from the Riders, despite losing a key piece of their recent Grey Cup win.

Hervey then reached out to Ottawa for permission to talk to Maas, got it, and offered Maas the job. However, the Redblacks refused to accept Maas’ resignation unless they got compensation. Eventually, the league stepped in with an arbitrator, who allowed Maas to move to Edmonton and awarded the Redblacks no compensation. Of course, the Redblacks’ general manager Marcel Desjardins didn’t offer any compensation to the Calgary Stampeders when they hired Rick Campbell away, either.
Not so sure the Orridge policy is ironclad.

No compensation awarded in these cases.

This fan does not like Orridge's policy.

I doubt Wally would challenge it anyway. I expect Wally will be back, probably with all 3 hats.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

One CFL assistant who has been named as a head coaching candidate in Montreal is Ottawa OC Jaime Elizondo. His contract is up this year so he may be easier to sign than LaPolice.

I’m not sure whether Elizondo or his predecessor Jason Maas is the architect of Ottawa’s offence but it is innovative and effective. You just have to look at the dropoff in production from Ernest Jackson and Chris Williams when they left Ottawa.

Elizondo attended thhe University of Maryland at the same time as Geroy Simon so he has that potential connection to the Lions. He also has a law degree, which is an unusual background for a football coach but could be useful in future if he aspires to become a GM.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 am
Just read that. I think a decision is needed sooner than later. They need to sell tickets, sign free agents and make a list of candidates if there is a new coach. Though Mark W is rumoured to be a strong candidate. I heard David Pratt suggest it could be Khari Jones. As for the latter, I sure hope not.
Easy big fella. They don't need to be in that big a panic. If they aren't going to fill any vacancies internally they probably have to wait until after Grey Cup anyways because a lot of potential candidates will still be gainfully employed until then.

Free agents? Free agency is still 2 months away. Plenty of time for a new staff or old staff to make plans there. Teams do like to extend contracts before year end but typically how active they are is dictated by how much SMS space they have left for bonuses to sneak in this year.

Tickets? At this stage we're talking renewals. My rep has already been on my case. Whether Wally is back or not will have zero impact on my decision. I'll be renewing once I get out of procrastination mode. To be honest I think the percentage of folks whose ST decision will ride on Wally's decision will be very low and could go either way. There are some who will live up to threats to walk if there aren't big changes but I think there also a lot of the shall we say less hardcore of the ST base who will be greatly concerned about the club without Coach Brillo.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 pm
One CFL assistant who has been named as a head coaching candidate in Montreal is Ottawa OC Jaime Elizondo. His contract is up this year so he may be easier to sign than LaPolice.

I’m not sure whether Elizondo or his predecessor Jason Maas is the architect of Ottawa’s offence but it is innovative and effective. You just have to look at the dropoff in production from Ernest Jackson and Chris Williams when they left Ottawa.

Elizondo attended thhe University of Maryland at the same time as Geroy Simon so he has that potential connection to the Lions. He’s also a lawyer, which is an unusual background for a football coach but could be useful in future if he aspires to become a GM.
It is interesting that many of these guys did not play pro football.

Rick Campbell

Paul LaPolice

Chris Jones

Jaime Elizondo

Many of the assistants are without pro playing experience, or even college.

For position coaches, experience with the nuances of playing would seem necessary. And there is another view ... The players learn the position through college. And, in the pros, the coach focuses more on systems.

Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:07 pm
It is interesting that many of these guys did not play pro football.

Rick Campbell

Paul LaPolice

Chris Jones

Jaime Elizondo

Many of the assistants are without pro playing experience, or even college.

For position coaches, experience with the nuances of playing would seem necessary. And there is another view ... The players learn the position through college. And, in the pros, the coach focuses more on systems.
Coaches with pro playing experience are becoming the exception to the rule. In the NFL only 10 of 32 HCs actually played in the NFL. Ron Rivera, Jack Del Rio, Doug Pederson and yes Jason Garrett would be the most accomplished in terms of having significant NFL playing careers. The rest were mostly career backups for a few years or guys who had cups of coffee type playing careers spent more in the Arena League, WLAF or NFLe than the NFL. The vast majority of today's NFL HCs did play collegiately at some level but having determined there was no future in playing they switched to coaching. There's a significant percentage of current NFL HCs who show "Graduate Assistant" as their first coaching gig and were around 23 or 24 at the time.

Classic example is Pete Carroll. He played free safety collegiately at University of the Pacific graduating in 1972. He tried out for Hawaii in the WLAF but didn't make it. He tried selling roofing materials but found he sucked at it so he pursued coaching. His first coaching job was as a Graduate Assistant at Pacific in 1973. He's been coaching ever since.