Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

squishy35 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:14 pm
Lions sign Keelan Johnson from the Redblacks. LB and DB. Good size and aggressive player
Good pickup. Very much an under the radar FA but has qualities much needed on the special teams.
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 pm
Sobering stat. Only 2 of our top 7 tacklers in 2017 have been signed for 2018.

Not saying this is all bad, depends who the replacements are. But that is the bottom line.

DH :cool:
X2
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dusty
Champion

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 pm
squishy35 wrote:
Lions sign Keelan Johnson from the Redblacks. LB and DB. Good size and aggressive player
League-high 29 special teams tackles -- methinks Reinebold is saying 'thanks Ed'!
If in fact the Leo's signed a free agent specifically to help out special teams, then this is evidence of a seismic shift in attitude from the past "grow your own" thinking..... Wow!!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:28 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 pm
squishy35 wrote:
League-high 29 special teams tackles -- methinks Reinebold is saying 'thanks Ed'!
If in fact the Leo's signed a free agent specifically to help out special teams, then this is evidence of a seismic shift in attitude from the past "grow your own" thinking..... Wow!!
That's a much-needed signing since the Lions reluctantly lost Chandler Fenner, who was second in the league in special-teams tackles.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 pm
That's a much-needed signing since the Lions reluctantly lost Chandler Fenner, who was second in the league in special-teams tackles.
I wonder if Wally will be trying to coax Arakgi out of retirement for the "Wally Legacy Tour MMXVIII"? :wink:

Kidding aside, I think Herdman will step up even more on STs. He was among the league leaders last year with 19 STs tackles - as a rookie!

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 pm
I disagree. This is clearly to put pressure on Jennings and to say they are not 100% confident he can bounce back. Jennings was terrible last year and though part of the reason is likely his shoulder injury, they cannot continue to play him if he bombs again this year. He is no longer highly rated anymore and Henry Burris rated him near the bottom of his rankings. If Lulay is not ready to start or his knee prevents him from playing much, Lions need another viable option and that is Cody. Otherwise why would he sign here. Jennings will not be given the starter's job until he plays much better than last year. Hopefully Jennings can prove he is a good up and coming QB and not a one year wonder like Casey Printers.
If Fajardo puts pressure on Jennings we're in a whole lot of hurt. It will mean Jennings has take 2 or 3 steps further backwards from last year. The only way I see Fajardo pushing for a starting job is if Jarious Jackson wants to make an offensive philosophical change of epic proportions whereby a rushing QB becomes the focal point of the offense. In his brief appearances in CFL action over the last 2 years Fajardo has ran the ball more times and for more yardage than he gained throwing it. Collegiately he was U of Nevada Reno's version of Tim Tebow and his own predecessor Colin Kaepernick. Fajardo and Kaepernick are the only QBs in NCAA history with over 9000 yards passing and 3000 yards rushing. Tebow just missed being the 3rd. He had the 9000+ yards rushing but fell 53 yards short on rushing finishing with 2947. Ratio of yards passing to yards rushing in NCAA? Tebow 3.15, Fajardo 2.77, Kaepernick 2.46. d

The only BC QBs I see Fajardo putting pressure on are Gale and Ross. I can see Fajardo replacing Gale as the somewhat veteran presence they might want on the depth chart if Lulay isn't ready for Week 1. Once Lulay is healthy he might be able to stick as the designated QB sneaker in short yardage. I am a bit unsure what they might do moving forward with Hervey making these decisions. They have 5 QBs under contract now which is often what they bring to camp. I believe Lulay will definitely be there participating on Day 1 of camp. The question is to what extent? Based on what we saw in that Global piece on his recover 3 or 4 weeks ago I have no reason to doubt he will be able to at the very least participate in all the normal passing drills. Where he might be held back is on the team drills where he would be expected to run around and rollout under pursuit. So the question becomes would they want 5 QBs + Lulay or 5 including Lulay as no doubt they will likely find someone in upcoming tryout camps they will want to sign. If so it could be either Gale or Ross doesn't make it to main camp. The mini-camp in Surrey in late April will go a long way to determining that.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Winnipeg has signed Craig Roh.

BOMBERS ADD CRAIG ROH TO D-LINE
VictoriaFan
Starter

I still think Lulay will be groomed for a coaching position and this will be his last year as a player , the way Dorazzio protects our QBs we might need a few in the stable
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Roh opens up to Ed Tait of bluebombers.com about the uncertainty of free agency and his new opportunity in Winnipeg.

Bombers sign former Lions DL Craig Roh
David
Team Captain

I may be in the minority but I think it was a mistake to let Roh walk. I am not saying Odell Willis isn't an upgrade for this year but realistically, how much does Willis have in the tank? I don't believe Roh has reached his ceiling as a pass rusher. During his time here, he was misused (playing some defensive tackle) and never really got that pocket collapsing help from the interior much of the time. He still registered 7 sacks in rotational duty.

I believe he is going to put up some big numbers in Winnipeg.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I tend to agree. Roh appeared to bring some intensity that was lacking much of the time and was a bit of a fan favourite. Oh well, I hope he has a positive next phase.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

So last man standing (BC free agent) is Kirby Fabien, who remains unsigned. Bit of a surprise. Clearly he is viewed around the league as not that good, otherwise he would be signed by now. May have to accept a backup role somewhere.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:25 pm
So last man standing (BC free agent) is Kirby Fabien, who remains unsigned. Bit of a surprise. Clearly he is viewed around the league as not that good, otherwise he would be signed by now. May have to accept a backup role somewhere.
Given how few options there were for free agent NAT OL I thought he'd be scooped up quite quickly. That he hasn't I find surprising. That leaves me to thinking perhaps he's been considering the other option most fans don't consider. Perhaps he's thinking it's time to move on from football and isn't pursuing a new contract? I say that with zero knowledge about his pursuits or possible business interests outside of football.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.