Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

...and a further note on Foster -- further reading has reminded me that he also played strong-side linebacker (besides the secondary positions). So that's helpful in addressing (to some degree) the loss of Fenner, and if he's healthy and stays healthy, perhaps a very fine replacement indeed.
CardiacKid
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 pm
Otha Foster will certainly help us out in the secondary!
https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/14/lion ... ha-foster/
I like this pickup a lot! Foster is very athletic and I think will be the starting nickel in the new season. Tough, tough guy. One of the very few players I can think of who doesn't wear gloves, tape or anything on his hands or arms.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
I like this pickup a lot! Foster is very athletic and I think will be the starting nickel in the new season. Tough, tough guy. One of the very few players I can think of who doesn't wear gloves, tape or anything on his hands or arms.
Yup, Otha F. just might be the linchpin we need there -- facilitating communication between the linebackers and secondary. Always quietly admired him from afar (was hard to admit -- him being with the evil teams he was with! heh heh...)
The_Pauser
Legend

Man Ed Hervey is really rebuilding this team eh?

Not sure what our cap situation looks like now, but Henoc Muamba might be a ratio buster if we could bring him in and play him at the WILL. They'll probably go with Davis and perhaps some new guys because I doubt we'll have the cap room.

Very encouraged by our O-Line and D-Line, and our secondary is being patched together nicely.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm
Not sure what our cap situation looks like now, but Henoc Muamba might be a ratio buster if we could bring him in and play him at the WILL.
True. Dyshawn looks like a hitter and a young guy too. But maybe Henoc might want to be united with his brother?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:43 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Yup, Otha F. just might be the linchpin we need there -- facilitating communication between the linebackers and secondary. Always quietly admired him from afar (was hard to admit -- him being with the evil teams he was with! heh heh...)
I recall a moment from an Edmonton game where Foster dislocated a couple of fingers. He took a look at what was wrong with his hand and without any fuss or bother, went to the sidelines, got repaired and went back out. Not to suggest other guys don't play through pain but I thought "that is one tough dude"...
CardiacKid
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:

Not sure what our cap situation looks like now, but Henoc Muamba might be a ratio buster if we could bring him in and play him at the WILL. They'll probably go with Davis and perhaps some new guys because I doubt we'll have the cap room.

Very encouraged by our O-Line and D-Line, and our secondary is being patched together nicely.
Has Muamba played anywhere other than middle Linebacker?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:

Hervey would have to be holding back with Braley's money to have anything left for Muamba without having to trade or cut a big salary. With bonuses Muamba's deal was potentially worth $220K had the Riders kept him. There are 2 or 3 teams with a hole at MLB right now. With SolE being locked up not to mention several other signings I doubt Muamba would be interested in the sort of haircut it might take to switch positions and play in a lesser role.

Some LIonbackers are still bitter about Olafioye getting dealt for cap reasons after the free agency dust finally settled. If the Lions signed Muamba a similar trade might be necessary.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

As for who is left, I am double-checking DBs rather intently. If Yell is truly not coming back, then Owusu-Ansah is a potential candidate for the boundary corner. Jerrell Gavins, despite his diminutive stature, is pretty versatile but ended his year with an ACL injury.

If Hervey is looking at available rceivers, Juron Criner in Ottawa is a big target and might be a good fit for Jennings and his predilection to pitch it up.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 pm
As for who is left, I am double-checking DBs rather intently. If Yell is truly not coming back, then Owusu-Ansah is a potential candidate for the boundary corner. Jerrell Gavins, despite his diminutive stature, is pretty versatile but ended his year with an ACL injury.

If Hervey is looking at available rceivers, Juron Criner in Ottawa is a big target and might be a good fit for Jennings and his predilection to pitch it up.
We have loaded up in FA, to an extent unheard of here. There are the tryout camps in the US still. We usually pick up excellent talent there. Not sure we need to shop around much anymore in discard racks around the CFL. The quality items are gone, methinks.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 pm

If Gavins' ACL injury happened 5 weeks after Lulay's. Travis hurt his the week after Labour Day and may not be ready to return until before the season starts. That may be slightly optimistic. If Gavins' injury is similar in nature to Lulay's then it could be pushing Labour Day before he's ready. Not much sense in considering him until he's close to healthy. By then they would know if they are already good at corner or haven't managed to fill the spot adequately. It would be a major failure in offseason recruiting if they found themselves in a position where in mid-season they needed to roll the dice on a guy coming off a major knee injury.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:30 am

We have loaded up in FA, to an extent unheard of here. There are the tryout camps in the US still. We usually pick up excellent talent there. Not sure we need to shop around much anymore in discard racks around the CFL. The quality items are gone, methinks.
Agreed. Roster sits at 66 now. They need to leave some spots for guys they find in those tryout camps. Some more spots may yet come available once they digest the roster post-free agency. I'm quite surprised Ricky Foley for one hasn't been dumped. Louie Richardson, Matt Bucknor and DeQuin Evans are 3 more thirtysomethings one would think could now be redundant.
CardiacKid
Legend

Here's what can be categorized as the never ending question; what's Boyko's status?

Am I right in assuming he has to make an active roster if he wants to continue in the NFL? Or perhaps more accurately, he has exhausted his options in regards to being on practice rosters?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 am
Here's what can be categorized as the never ending question; what's Boyko's status?

Am I right in assuming he has to make an active roster if he wants to continue in the NFL? Or perhaps more accurately, he has exhausted his options in regards to being on practice rosters?
Yes, Boyke is under contract to the Chargers. If he's released, he can be signed by another team but he is no longer eligible for the practice roster. He is due to make $480,000 this year if he spends the full season on an active roster.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 am

Yes, Boyke is under contract to the Chargers. If he's released, he can be signed by another team but he is no longer eligible for the practice roster. He is due to make $480,000 this year if he spends the full season on an active roster.
Really trying to drive your point home there BCF? Response in triplicate. ;) I picked the first one.

Boyko could be an unknown for now. Chargers may not make a decision on him until they find out what shakes out of the NFL Draft, free agency and whoever they sign as priority UDFAs.