Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've heard the Lions have up to 27 players who will become free agents in January if their contracts are not renewed. Lowell Ullrich has listed 25 names:

Offence:
Manny Arceneaux
Jas Dhillon
Kirby Fabien
Cody Husband
Antonio Johnson
Shaquille Johnson
Travis Lulay
Nick Moore
Kelvin Palmer
Hunter Steward

Defence:
Alex Bazzie
Dyshawn Davis
Chandler Fenner
Maxx Forde
Andrew Hudson
T.J. Lee
David Menard
Loucheiz Purifoy
Craig Roh
Bryant Turner
Ronnie Yell

Special teams:
Mike Benson
Adrian Clarke
Louie Richardson
Alex Ogbongbemiga

3DownNation article
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the list, BCFAN.

Manny Arceneaux - keep
Jas Dhillon - bubble
Kirby Fabien - keep
Cody Husband - keep
Antonio Johnson - release
Shaquille Johnson - keep
Travis Lulay - keep
Nick Moore - keep
Kelvin Palmer - release
Hunter Steward - keep

Alex Bazzie - keep
Dyshawn Davis - release
Chandler Fenner - keep
Maxx Forde - keep
Andrew Hudson - release
T.J. Lee - keep
David Menard - keep
Loucheiz Purifoy - keep, very talented, although I am not sure about his attitude
Craig Roh - release
Bryant Turner - release
Ronnie Yell - keep

Mike Benson - keep
Adrian Clarke - release
Louie Richardson - keep
Alex Ogbongbemiga - release

Just IMO, but the first business is ownership, then GM, then HC, then coaching staff.

And there is another fine mess. The current staff signs free agents, and then a new staff is brought in. Not the best arrangement. But, as noted, I expect it is status quo next year with the ownership and staff.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So long Bryant Turner, Craig Roh, Antonio Johnson, Kirby Fabian, Kelvin Palmer and Alex Bazzie at the very least.
Other than Shaq Johnson and Purifoy who are still on his rookie deal, I'm not sure who else even deserves more money if re-signed. Fenner is probably seeking a significant raise given his role but I wouldn't be worried about losing him.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am

Manny Arceneaux - keep
Jas Dhillon
Kirby Fabien - keep
Cody Husband - keep
Antonio Johnson
Shaquille Johnson - keep
Travis Lulay - keep
Nick Moore - keep
Kelvin Palmer
Hunter Steward - keep

Alex Bazzie - keep
Dyshawn Davis
Chandler Fenner - keep
Maxx Forde - keep
Andrew Hudson
T.J. Lee - keep
David Menard - keep
Loucheiz Purifoy - keep, very talented, although I am not sure about his attitude
Craig Roh
Bryant Turner
Ronnie Yell - keep

Mike Benson - keep
Adrian Clarke
Louie Richardson - keep
Alex Ogbongbemiga

Just IMO, but the first business is ownership, then GM, then HC, then coaching staff.
I agree with all of your player assessments, with the possible exception of Bazzie. I didn't see much pressure from him on his return but it was a small body of work and he was used a lot in pass coverage, which doesn't give him as much time to generate stats.

No matter how poorly this team performed, history has shown that a team can't expect to replace more than 5 or 6 starters in the offseason without becoming less competitive. The Lions need to retain their veteran leaders. Their overall talent level wasn't the problem this year. By eliminating one or two bad plays in their 7 narrow losses, they could easily be a 12-win team again.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:28 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:11 am

Manny Arceneaux - keep
Jas Dhillon
Kirby Fabien - keep
Cody Husband - keep
Antonio Johnson
Shaquille Johnson - keep
Travis Lulay - keep
Nick Moore - keep
Kelvin Palmer
Hunter Steward - keep

Alex Bazzie - keep
Dyshawn Davis
Chandler Fenner - keep
Maxx Forde - keep
Andrew Hudson
T.J. Lee - keep
David Menard - keep
Craig Roh
Bryant Turner
Ronnie Yell - keep

Mike Benson - keep
Adrian Clarke
Louie Richardson - keep
Alex Ogbongbemiga

I agree with all of your player assessments, with the possible exception of Bazzie. I didn't see much pressure from him on his return but it was a small body of work and he was used a lot in pass coverage, which doesn't give him as much time to generate stats.

No matter how poorly this team performed, history has shown that a team can't expect to replace more than 5 or 6 starters in the offseason without becoming less competitive. The Lions need to retain their veteran leaders. Their overall talent level wasn't the problem this year. By eliminating one or two bad plays in their 7 narrow losses, they could easily be a 12-win team again.
Yes. I have mixed feelings about Bazzie.

And I believe many underperformers might do better with a different staff.
Their overall talent level wasn't the problem this year.
I agree.

Re the O Line Internationals, I think that is firstly a coaching matter. I can't believe all these experienced International O Linemen can't pass block to save their lives.

Re the D Line Internationals, I think part of the problem was the blueprint. What type of players did we want? I would have to give the blueprint a fail. We did not get pocket collapsers, nor did we get outstanding rush ends. They were all contain-types (Hold your position, keep your gap, keep the QB in the pocket). Not dominant. And I think we see dominant INT D Line players throughout the league. Not that hard to find, IMO, if you know what to look for.

Just IMO.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

If Steward and Purifoy were to return, I expect it won't be until they have given the NFL a fairly lengthy chance. So at best, I personally won't be expecting them back until mid-season.

I won't be surprised if they are not in Leo's colours next year. I hope Steward is actively courted about returning...far too valuable to let go to another CFL team.

Personally I hope Fenner, Lee, Yell, Forde and Menard return next year on defense. On offense; Arceneaux, Husband, S. Johnson, Lulay and Moore. Arceneaux and Lulay for on-field play but also veteran leadership and Moore to help round out the receiving corps with Jennings-friendly pass catchers. Namely guys who have a larger catch radius....
SammyGreene
Team Captain

How is Shaq Johnson a pending FA agent while Charles Vaillancourt and Anthony Thompson are not when they were all part of the 2016 draft class?
Didn't they all receive the same 2-year standard deals? Pretty sure neither have signed extensions since.
CardiacKid
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:03 pm
How is Shaq Johnson a pending FA agent while Charles Vaillancourt and Anthony Thompson are not when they were all part of the 2016 draft class?
Didn't they all receive the same 2-year standard deals? Pretty sure neither have signed extensions since.
They are probably the 2 names missing from LU's article. I think BCFan mentioned 27 FAs while LU lists 25.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Given Vaillancourt and Thompson were 1st and 2nd round picks I believe Wally would want them on 2+1 deals. Later picks probably 1+1. When you're talking earlier picks I think the same theory applies as signing rookie QBs. You don't want to sign them to a deal where they can walk after only 2 years
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:13 pm
SammyGreene wrote:
They are probably the 2 names missing from LU's article. I think BCFan mentioned 27 FAs while LU lists 25.
Could be the others are players who retired while still under contract. The Lions would still retain their playing rights until their contract formally expires. Jason Aragki for instance will show up in the CFL FA tracker when it gets posted.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:06 am
I've heard the Lions have up to 27 players who will become free agents in January if their contracts are not renewed. Lowell Ullrich has listed 25 names:

Offence:
Manny Arceneaux - Keep
Jas Dhillon - Release
Kirby Fabien - Release
Cody Husband - Keep
Antonio Johnson -Release
Shaquille Johnson - Keep
Travis Lulay - Keep
Nick Moore - Keep
Kelvin Palmer - Keep
Hunter Steward - Keep

Defence:
Alex Bazzie - Release
Dyshawn Davis - Keep
Chandler Fenner - Keep
Maxx Forde - Keep
Andrew Hudson - Release
T.J. Lee - Keep
David Menard - Keep
Loucheiz Purifoy - Keep
Craig Roh - Release
Bryant Turner - Release
Ronnie Yell - Keep

Special teams:
Mike Benson - Keep
Adrian Clarke - Keep
Louie Richardson - Release
Alex Ogbongbemiga - Release

3DownNation article
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I have not looked at other people's thoughts yet so I will not be influenced. Here is what I think will happen.

Offence:
Manny Arceneaux - resigned
Jas Dhillon - not sure
Kirby Fabien - resigned
Cody Husband - resigned
Antonio Johnson - released
Shaquille Johnson - resigned
Travis Lulay -- resigned
Nick Moore - gone
Kelvin Palmer - gone
Hunter Steward - resigned

Defence:
Alex Bazzie - gone
Dyshawn Davis - gone
Chandler Fenner - resigned
Maxx Forde - resigned
Andrew Hudson - gone
T.J. Lee - resigned
David Menard - resigned
Loucheiz Purifoy - gone
Craig Roh - gone
Bryant Turner - gone
Ronnie Yell - resigned

Special teams:
Mike Benson - resigned
Adrian Clarke - not sure
Louie Richardson - not sure
Alex Ogbongbemiga - not sure

I really do not know how well the last 3 guys played to determine whether they will stay or go.
The_Pauser
Legend

Offence:
Manny Arceneaux - keep
Jas Dhillon - release
Kirby Fabien - release
Cody Husband - bubble
Antonio Johnson - release
Shaquille Johnson - keep
Travis Lulay - keep
Nick Moore - keep
Kelvin Palmer - release
Hunter Steward - keep

Defence:
Alex Bazzie - release (too expensive for what he brings)
Dyshawn Davis - keep if cheap
Chandler Fenner - keep
Maxx Forde - keep
Andrew Hudson - release
T.J. Lee - keep
David Menard - keep
Loucheiz Purifoy - keep
Craig Roh - release
Bryant Turner - release
Ronnie Yell - keep

Special teams:
Mike Benson - keep
Adrian Clarke - release
Louie Richardson - release
Alex Ogbongbemiga - release
Roar you Lions roar!
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This is a new topic for the transactions that are going to happen in the future, probably sooner than later.

I will begin with this news which I just discovered, it is old news, a week ago, but it happened after the season or close to it:

November 6, 2017
Release OT Kelvin Palmer (I)
Release DE Andrew Hudson (I) – intends to retire

Neither of these players worked out for the Lions. Palmer was a bust from the first game and though Hudson played here off and on over 2 seasons, never impressed me. If Buono returns, I expect more players cut after the Grey Cup.

[Duplicate topic. Posts merged.-- Mod Staff]
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The cuts and/or departures are a certainty Buono not withstanding. What will be of more import will be who is running the show to begin the rebuild after this gong show of a season. If it is Buono, then we are in for much trouble because I am pretty convinced, you could have an all star team and still under perform with this group of coaches.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.