Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rodu
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 pm
Otha Foster will certainly help us out in the secondary!
https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/14/lion ... ha-foster/
I like this pickup a lot! Foster is very athletic and I think will be the starting nickel in the new season. Tough, tough guy. One of the very few players I can think of who doesn't wear gloves, tape or anything on his hands or arms.
the link has a pic of him wearing long sleeves and gloves
CardiacKid
Legend

Rodu wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:28 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 pm
Otha Foster will certainly help us out in the secondary!
https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/14/lion ... ha-foster/
I like this pickup a lot! Foster is very athletic and I think will be the starting nickel in the new season. Tough, tough guy. One of the very few players I can think of who doesn't wear gloves, tape or anything on his hands or arms.
the link has a pic of him wearing long sleeves and gloves
Changed his mind I guess. He definately went sleeveless and gloveless in Edmonton.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Hervey would have to be holding back with Braley's money to have anything left for Muamba without having to trade or cut a big salary. With bonuses Muamba's deal was potentially worth $220K had the Riders kept him. There are 2 or 3 teams with a hole at MLB right now. With SolE being locked up not to mention several other signings I doubt Muamba would be interested in the sort of haircut it might take to switch positions and play in a lesser role.

Some LIonbackers are still bitter about Olafioye getting dealt for cap reasons after the free agency dust finally settled. If the Lions signed Muamba a similar trade might be necessary.
And this is my biggest complaint with the CFL is they don't really publish player salaries. We can't look at our roster and understand our cap situation.

My feeling though is that Mic'hael Brooks could be on his way out. With the signing of Euclid Cummings, do you see a spot for Brooks? We have Knapton and Willis as defensive ends, and then a rotation of Canadians Menard, Forde, and Luke. I could see Brooks and his salary being moved.

Could Muamba fill Bighill's old role?
Roar you Lions roar!
VictoriaFan
Starter

QB Cody Fajardo signed, get rid of Gale?
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/15/lion ... y-fajardo/
Probably more Insurance in case incumbent QBs aren't ready to go. Fajardo was fun to watch when Ray went down with injury last summer. More mobile than most these days. (Certainly more than Gale).
CardiacKid
Legend

Lions add Mike Dubuisson and Edward Godin according to Twitter and CFL.Ca:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/15/lions-add ... wo-others/

Not sure if this was announced earlier than today; if so it was done fairly quietly.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Ronnie Yell has signed with Toronto.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Wow.

Very impressed once again with Ed H. Breath of fresh air in an organization grown very stale. New age thinking.
Godin (6’2”, 250) will compete for a spot in his second training camp after returning to Laval for his final year of eligibility in 2017. The talented defensive lineman was the Lions’ fifth-round section (42nd overall) in the 2017 CFL Draft. The Quebec City native wrapped up his 34-game college career with 69 defensive stops and 15 quarterback sacks.
I remember really liking this pick. A bit like Menard, not as powerful.

FA Fajardy also. Smart pickup.

Next year Ed really takes over.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

://www.bclions.com/2018/02/15/lion ... y-fajardo/
Probably more Insurance in case incumbent QBs aren't ready to go. Fajardo was fun to watch when Ray went down with injury last summer. More mobile than most these days. (Certainly more than Gale).

I disagree. This is clearly to put pressure on Jennings and to say they are not 100% confident he can bounce back. Jennings was terrible last year and though part of the reason is likely his shoulder injury, they cannot continue to play him if he bombs again this year. He is no longer highly rated anymore and Henry Burris rated him near the bottom of his rankings. If Lulay is not ready to start or his knee prevents him from playing much, Lions need another viable option and that is Cody. Otherwise why would he sign here. Jennings will not be given the starter's job until he plays much better than last year. Hopefully Jennings can prove he is a good up and coming QB and not a one year wonder like Casey Printers.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 pm
Ronnie Yell has signed with Toronto.
:sigh:

Not sure why Yell was regarded as expendable, perhaps the almighty cap? I thought our boundary side of the secondary was solid the last 2 year’s, it was the wide-side that was having issues.

So I guess this will be yet another year where the team will be rebuilding in the secondary. Only this time it will be petty much sideline to sideline and not just a part of it.

I hope our defensive backfield in 2018 isn’t reminiscent of our d-line in 2017.
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:19 am
CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 am
Here's what can be categorized as the never ending question; what's Boyko's status?

Am I right in assuming he has to make an active roster if he wants to continue in the NFL? Or perhaps more accurately, he has exhausted his options in regards to being on practice rosters?
Yes, Boyke is under contract to the Chargers. If he's released, he can be signed by another team but he is no longer eligible for the practice roster. He is due to make $480,000 this year if he spends the full season on an active roster.
given what foucault did last year, boyko would be Stewards backup at LG and hopefully work his way into a starting role in a year or two.
David
Team Captain

Sobering stat. Only 2 of our top 7 tacklers in 2017 have been signed for 2018.

Not saying this is all bad, depends who the replacements are. But that is the bottom line.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
squishy35
Legend

Lions sign Keelan Johnson from the Redblacks. LB and DB. Good size and aggressive player
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:29 pm
Not sure why Yell was regarded as expendable, perhaps the almighty cap? I thought our boundary side of the secondary was solid the last 2 year’s, it was the wide-side that was having issues.
Agreed. I thought Yell was a leader on and off the field. He worked hard through the offseason to come back at training camp last year from a broken foot that ended his 2016 season, and showed no lingering effects of the injury. Yell uncharacteristically gave up a few big plays late in the 2017 season but by far the biggest problems in the past two seasons were on the opposite side of the field and at safety.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

squishy35 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:14 pm
Lions sign Keelan Johnson from the Redblacks. LB and DB. Good size and aggressive player
League-high 29 special teams tackles -- methinks Reinebold is saying 'thanks Ed'!