Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

DanoT wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 am
I am quite happy that the Lions new GM is able to bring in a lot of players that he has had as players in the past. It speaks highly of what players who know Hervey think of him. He is doing lots to strengthen team weaknesses.
I agree. It looks like his rep (at least with his players) is better than media depictions. I look forward to 2019 when Wally (and presumably Dorazio) will be gone and he will be able to more fully make this team his own.
Qman
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 am
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am
Done deal now. They signed Watson today. He likely will be the Canadian to start in the receiving corps, while the guy they drafted last year will have to wait another year and be a backup. What is that now 4 or 5 ex Eskimos signed in free agency.
I like it.

Great size.

Pretty good passport.

A well-known asset.

Not spectacular, but I think better than Vandervoort.
still hoping we get moore back ... this guy thinks hervey will go with someone cap friendly

"
SammyGreene
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
DanoT wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 am
I am quite happy that the Lions new GM is able to bring in a lot of players that he has had as players in the past. It speaks highly of what players who know Hervey think of him. He is doing lots to strengthen team weaknesses.
I agree. It looks like his rep (at least with his players) is better than media depictions. I look forward to 2019 when Wally (and presumably Dorazio) will be gone and he will be able to more fully make this team his own.
This point can't be driven home anymore. With Wally and even Washington still in the picture Hervey has had to somewhat publicly dance around the roster he inherited without being too critical. But his actions yesterday and lack there of before free agency speaks volumes of what he thought about the overall talent level on the Lions defence.

It's still Wally's show for now but makes you wonder what he thinks about the coordinator too.
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 am
Really like the addition of Cummings. Is there even a spot now for Brooks with three recently acquired internationals (Knapton, Willis and Cummings) destined to start?
Lions need to start seven nationals somewhere and a Menard/Luke /Forde rotation for at least one spot on the DL is a natural. I see 5 on offence: Johnson, Husband, Steward, Vailliancourt (Foucault) and very likely Vandervoort too as it's time to see what these very high draft picks can do. Probably safety as well but I sure would like to see Parker get a long look at corner.
saw on twitter that when cummings & brooks play menard will be in and when knapton is in luke will be in for either of the DTs.
maxlion
Legend

All of the changes on d are a result of putting more resources into the defensive line and having to lose some free agents in the secondary as a result.

This all started when we had Bighill and were paying top dollar for two linebackers. We were left paying rookie salaries for dlinemen, trying to develop our own instead of attracting proven vets. We lost some of our competitive edge by not having top personnel on the line.

Now Hervey has changed things around. I think it’s a good concept but having to pay top dollar through free agency to so many players is going to have a negative impact elsewhere on the team. Free agents rarely work out as well as hoped. The best teams rely on development and continuity. Maybe by focusing on free agents that Hervey has familiarity with, we can reduce the failure rate.

It’s not that hard to attract free agents: just offer more $ than everyone else. Being successful playing the free agency game is a lot harder.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I was of the opinion, and still am, that the defensive line was the real problem last year. The philosophy of throwing a large number of cheap bodies just didn't work as time went on.

In terms of pure talent, I thought the offensive line was fine. That was, and still is, a coaching problem, no matter how much money you spend on talent.

The first test of a GM as it relates to free agency is much, much easier than the second. Hervey is passing the first, working off of an existing body of knowledge (current free agent pool, leveraging existing relationships) to sign the best available players, while picking the right players to lose as part of the process.

The second test, once those guys start to age and you and your staff become responsible for evaluating the players you don't know, is much, much harder. So I'll reserve judgement.
OV - 54:40
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am
Done deal now. They signed Watson today. He likely will be the Canadian to start in the receiving corps, while the guy they drafted last year will have to wait another year and be a backup. What is that now 4 or 5 ex Eskimos signed in free agency.
I like it.

Great size.

Pretty good passport.

A well-known asset.

Watson has always been known as a tough blocking receiver as well; maybe signed mostly for vet depth to replace Iannuzzi (Watson is way bigger) - playing the same part-time position ? Interesting if they went out and got him because they think Vandervoort is not ready for playing time or doesn't have the necessary receiver skills? - for a 3rd overall draft pick ??? (might as well have waited till this year's draft and got to take Vandervoort's former Mac team-mate receiver Dan Peterman - who put up as good or better career receiving #s there, plus has a better set of Combine / athletic testing #s; big difference is Peterman is somehow not highly rated for this draft (yet Vandervoort was so highly rated for 2017 ???) and could probably be had in the 3rd round or later ?)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:

I like it.

Great size.

Pretty good passport.

A well-known asset.

Watson has always been known as a tough blocking receiver as well; maybe signed mostly for vet depth to replace Iannuzzi (Watson is way bigger) - playing the same part-time position ? Interesting if they went out and got him because they think Vandervoort is not ready for playing time or doesn't have the necessary receiver skills? - for a 3rd overall draft pick ??? (might as well have waited till this year's draft and got to take Vandervoort's former Mac team-mate receiver Dan Peterman - who put up as good or better career receiving #s there, plus has a better set of Combine / athletic testing #s; big difference is Peterman is somehow not highly rated for this draft (yet Vandervoort was so highly rated for 2017 ???) and could probably be had in the 3rd round or later ?)
I always enjoy your informed insights, OV. You keep a good eye on upcoming NAT talent.

I share your view on Vandervoort. He does not seem to have explosion. He does not seem to be much of a threat. Wasted pick? Getting close to that.

Some on here, whose views I greatly respect, consider the draft to be somewhat of a lottery. This CFL does not see it that way. More of a skill game, evaluating, strategizing, having a system that fits, etc. The better teams have more solid drafts, more home runs, and far fewer blown picks.

Hervey and Jarious I am sure see utility in Watson.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

First it was Derek Dennis, now it is Henoc Muamba who has been given his walking papers.

The Riders have ditched yet more salary to accommodate all their new acquisitions.

For a province that is land-locked, they sure like to spend like drunken sailors. :tease:
OV - 54:40
Champion

WCJ - i wouldn't be giving up on Vandervoort as a potential very good receiver; be a different story if he had played some as a rookie and dropped a bunch of passes; but he didn't except for producing one nice 25 yard reception.

Smart teams often, IMO, make thorough & deep use of their roster and some guys are better fits for different jobs or looks = both Watson & Vandervoort could have a role; Watson as a tough blocker to help with the run game, plus is also a decent shorter yardage needed possession receiver; Vandervoort maybe has more potential as a downfield, even deep threat receiver (but not if he never gets a pass thrown his way if the offensive braintrust thinks he is only a 5th option all the time).
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm
WCJ - i wouldn't be giving up on Vandervoort as a potential very good receiver; be a different story if he had played some as a rookie and dropped a bunch of passes; but he didn't except for producing one nice 25 yard reception.

Smart teams often, IMO, make thorough & deep use of their roster and some guys are better fits for different jobs or looks = both Watson & Vandervoort could have a role; Watson as a tough blocker to help with the run game, plus is also a decent shorter yardage needed possession receiver; Vandervoort maybe has more potential as a downfield, even deep threat receiver (but not if he never gets a pass thrown his way if the offensive braintrust thinks he is only a 5th option all the time).
Yup. I had not, as a fan, given up on him.

Did he ever show deep threat potential? I will find time to check youtube for some video.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

JohnnyMusso
Champion

Few Lions free agents still have not signed - Roh, Fabien, Moore and Yell. Yell is the most surprising.

Westerman just signed with the Als to join his brother.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm
Few Lions free agents still have not signed - Roh, Fabien, Moore and Yell. Yell is the most surprising.

Westerman just signed with the Als to join his brother.
Did Kirby fall off the map?

Figueroa only gets one year of reverse engineering with Dan D.

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Otha Foster will certainly help us out in the secondary!
https://www.bclions.com/2018/02/14/lion ... ha-foster/
JohnnyMusso
Champion

It may take time for all these new guys to gel together as a unit.

Like what Hervey has done. He has gone and signed tons of guys. This is most active BC has ever been in free agency