Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

Hervey said he was going to build the team from the line out, and there is no question that we are stronger on both the offensive and defensive lines. We'll be big and mean and tough to play against at least.

Unfortunately, when building through free agency, for every area you shore up, you expose yourself somewhere else.

Very hard to make predictions with so much movement around the league.
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:58 pm
Mark Washington is going to earn his pay this year rebuilding the Lion defence.
With Purifoy in Ottawa and maybe taking over the SAM position there, I have to believe Gavins could be on the outs as a Redblack. He would be an option to fill Fenner’s old spot along with Otha Foster.

With White, Campbell, Burnett, Davis and Heath off the table along with Grymes likely to stick in Edmonton if no NFL options appear, I hope Hervey works on Gavins, Foster and Yell.
Qman
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm
Things are picking up with the signing of National O-lineman Christopher Greaves from Montreal. There was very little in the way of available Nationals amongst the Offensive linemen so getting at least one to help with the potential departure of 3 Canadians will help mitigate the blow to the ratio.
he would be a 2nd / 3rd string backup ... probably battle with Foucault for last spot on the 46
Qman
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:19 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm
Sorry to see Fenner leave the Lions Den. Thought he had a very good year last year.
Apparently the Bombers offered $60,000 more than the Lions. But how are the Bombers going to accomodate both Fenner and Leggett as starters in the linebacking corps? I can't see either of them sitting on the bench with the kind of rep and salary they both have. Maybe Fenner will be moved to the secondary in Winnipeg?
If the rumour is true, then I can't blame Fenner for leaving.
he only got 130k from bombers ... no way we were that far off given they were talking this morning
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Their provincial rival, Edmonton, added a star pass-rusher in Alex Bazzie.
A matter of opinion. He has slipperiness as a pass rusher. Wears down due to minimal size.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/02/13/open-mark ... ee-agency/
Ed Hervey continued his focus on the trenches for the Lions, adding two big pieces in Joel Figueroa and Euclid Cummings. Cummings adds size and strength on the inside along with Mic’hael Brooks, but the biggest news is, literally and figuratively, on the offensive side of the ball.

Figueroa proved in 2017 he is a premiere tackle in the CFL, allowing only one sack while paving the way for the league’s second-ranked rushing attack. He’ll provide an immediate boost to an O-line that allowed the most sacks in the country last season.
These two might be good ones.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The BC Lions Football Club today announced that international free agent defensive tackle Euclid Cummings has signed a 2018 contract with the team.

Spending the 2017 season with the Edmonton Eskimos recording 21 defensive stops and eight sacks, Cummings enters his fifth CFL season in 2018. The Georgia Tech product began his career with the Toronto Argonauts in 2014 and played two seasons with the Double Blue before moving to Winnipeg in 2016. Through 53 games he’s tallied 62 tackles and 19 sacks.

“Euclid is a young, up-and-coming lineman who definitely has the ability and potential to be one of most dominant interior players in the league,” said GM Ed Hervey. “He’s equally skilled at playing the run and getting to the quarterback and never takes a play off.''
Just what the doctor ordered.

Although the Lions might have had a DL with representative size, in the norm, last year, IMO we badly lacked power, with the INTs in the DL. IMO we did not know how to create an effective blueprint for the DL personnel, nor how to fill it out. That is on Mark and the personnel guys.

We didn't know how to build it. We didn't know how to play it.

I think Ed knows how to do it. These moves look promising.

We might be turning a corner. No guarantees for this year, however. Will our defence look the same, imo, inadequate? Will the OL look unreliable in the passing game?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

Really like the addition of Cummings. Is there even a spot now for Brooks with three recently acquired internationals (Knapton, Willis and Cummings) destined to start?
Lions need to start seven nationals somewhere and a Menard/Luke /Forde rotation for at least one spot on the DL is a natural. I see 5 on offence: Johnson, Husband, Steward, Vailliancourt (Foucault) and very likely Vandervoort too as it's time to see what these very high draft picks can do. Probably safety as well but I sure would like to see Parker get a long look at corner.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 am
Really like the addition of Cummings. Is there even a spot now for Brooks with three recently acquired internationals (Knapton, Willis and Cummings) destined to start?
Lions need to start seven nationals somewhere and a Menard/Luke /Forde rotation for at least one spot on the DL is a natural. I see 5 on offence: Johnson, Husband, Steward, Vailliancourt (Foucault) and very likely Vandervoort too as it's time to see what these very high draft picks can do. Probably safety as well but I sure would like to see Parker get a long look at corner.
Different positions Sammy. At 255 and 263 respectively Willis and Knapton are most suited for playing ends Cummings and Brooks at 298 and 295 are pure tackles. I think the addition of Cummings could cause opponents to double-team him opening things up for Brooks to more of a force. Luke at 291 is best suited to rotate in the middle.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:07 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm
Things are picking up with the signing of National O-lineman Christopher Greaves from Montreal. There was very little in the way of available Nationals amongst the Offensive linemen so getting at least one to help with the potential departure of 3 Canadians will help mitigate the blow to the ratio.
Another former Eskimo. I'm feeling dirtier with every signing. To add insult to that when you click on his name in the Lions' roster he's wearing an Eskimo jersey in his profile picture.
I am quite happy that the Lions new GM is able to bring in a lot of players that he has had as players in the past. It speaks highly of what players who know Hervey think of him. He is doing lots to strengthen team weaknesses.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The rumour today is Lions will sign National Receiver Cory Watson so he may start. Another ex Eskimo.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Done deal now. They signed Watson today. He likely will be the Canadian to start in the receiving corps, while the guy they drafted last year will have to wait another year and be a backup. What is that now 4 or 5 ex Eskimos signed in free agency.
VictoriaFan
Starter

my concern is not who is playing on the O-line but who is coaching the O-line, if you know what I mean....
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Watson is a decent option to replace for Ianuzzi for a season. But he's 33 years old. They need to find a Canadian receiver who can give them 5 or 6 good years. Especially now that Hervey is not shy about using import linemen.
Last edited by Belize City Lion on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am
Done deal now. They signed Watson today. He likely will be the Canadian to start in the receiving corps, while the guy they drafted last year will have to wait another year and be a backup. What is that now 4 or 5 ex Eskimos signed in free agency.
Watson's numbers aren't spectacular. He caught 27 passes for 350 yards and 2 TDs last year, which is about average for his 8-year career. He can be the fifth receiver, with Shaq Johnson likely at No. 4 in place of Marco Iannuzzi.

Danny Vandervoort is more of a slotback or tight end. He may get some spot duty in certain packages while backing up Bryan Burnham and Manny Arceneaux.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am
I like it.

Great size.

Pretty good passport.

A well-known asset.

Not spectacular, but I think better than Vandervoort.