Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm
Sorry to see Fenner leave the Lions Den. Thought he had a very good year last year.
Apparently the Bombers offered $60,000 more than the Lions. But how are the Bombers going to accomodate both Fenner and Leggett as starters in the linebacking corps? I can't see either of them sitting on the bench with the kind of rep and salary they both have. Maybe Fenner will be moved to the secondary in Winnipeg?
If the rumour is true, then I can't blame Fenner for leaving.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Reports are that TJ Heath just changed his twitter header photo to a Lion. :cr:
CardiacKid
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:28 pm
Reports are that TJ Heath just changed his twitter header photo to a Lion. :cr:
I think that happened with Chad Owens before.....

3DownNation is reporting Heath is close to signing with the Argos. The choices amongst DBs is shrinking rather fast.
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:07 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:11 pm
Fenner's loss is huge on defence and special teams. He was second in the league in ST tackles. Purifoy looked lost for much of last year but he seemed to settle into his role in the secondary late in the season.

The Lions are left with Solomon Elimimian and Dyshawn Davis at linebacker. Perhaps they'll convert practice roster safety Tevin McDonald to nickelback.
I trust Ed and Wally know what they're doing but to me, Fenner was our best defender last year (next to Solly). Add in the special teams component and it becomes a double whammy.

Still, our D-line is shaping up rather well.... :thup:

DH :cool:
The way things are lining up at the moment, the defense (excluding D-Line) will have, at most, 3 starters (Lee, Thompson, Sol E.) returning next year. I am wondering if Hervey got caught short? He made no mention of needing to rebuild the entire defense.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions sign DB AJ Jefferson
Roar you Lions roar!
CardiacKid
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 pm
Lions sign DB AJ Jefferson
Most recently an Eskimo......

Was cut by the Redblacks after the first 3 games at the start of 2017. He was targeted to the point of being picked on.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

There is a Belizean creole expression that perfectly sums up today for the Lions: "Dog wah eat wi supper" :sigh:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Going to be difficult to recover from loosing Fenner, Purifoy and Awe.

Any word on the status of Ronnie Yell?
CardiacKid
Legend

Things are picking up with the signing of National O-lineman Christopher Greaves from Montreal. There was very little in the way of available Nationals amongst the Offensive linemen so getting at least one to help with the potential departure of 3 Canadians will help mitigate the blow to the ratio.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have signed former Alouette national O-lineman Chris Greaves .

CardiacKid
Legend

Just finished perusing the CFL FA tracker and a few names that jump out (at me anyways) as remaining unsigned (Heath pretty much seems a done deal for TO though)

-Jacory Harris
-Serderious Bryant
-Jerrell Gavins
-Mitchell White
-Akwasi-owusu Ansha
-Daryl Waud
-Travis Bond
-T.J. Heath
-Jamaal Westerman
-Jake Harty
-Greg Morris
-Otha Foster
-Aaron Grymes
-Cam Thorn
-Ronnie Yell

Just some spitballing on my part. We will see how it goes tomorrow.

Losing Fenner still sucks.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm
Things are picking up with the signing of National O-lineman Christopher Greaves from Montreal. There was very little in the way of available Nationals amongst the Offensive linemen so getting at least one to help with the potential departure of 3 Canadians will help mitigate the blow to the ratio.
Another former Eskimo. I'm feeling dirtier with every signing. To add insult to that when you click on his name in the Lions' roster he's wearing an Eskimo jersey in his profile picture.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:07 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm
Another former Eskimo. I'm feeling dirtier with every signing. To add insult to that when you click on his name in the Lions' roster he's wearing an Eskimo jersey in his profile picture.
I think Belize City Lion was onto something when he said the next 3rd jersey will have generous helpings of green and gold.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I feel better about the Lions' offensive and defensive lines but there are big holes to fill at receiver, linebacker and defensive back.

Staff at cfl.ca have put together a nice summary of Day 1 of free agency across the league, with a heavy Lions emphasis.

Open Market: 5 highlights from Day 1 of free agency
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Mark Washington is going to earn his pay this year rebuilding the Lion defence.