Lions free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:06 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 pm
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 am
Kirby Fabien. First round pick. Has some talent. Another disappointing NAT OL, who did not develop as hoped.

The two big personnel concerns for this team remain the OL and the DL.

Hopes ride on Hervey. Turnaround can be quick in the CFL.
Disappointing? Maybe, maybe not when one considers the entire draft class. Ironically Fabien's 77GP is the tops for OL in his draft class. Mike Filer is next with 76 and Brad Erdos is 3rd with 48. Nobody else is still playing in the CFL although Austin Paztor is still bouncing around the NFL. The other 6 are out of football. Fabien is last CFL OL standing from the 1st round of the 2012 Draft and he was the 4th one choaen. after Ben Heenan (1st overall and retired), Tyson Pencer (3rd overall and out of football) and Paztor (4th overall and in NFL).
I kind of liked him.

Others on here, with opinions I respect, do not even want him back.

Does the team want him back? I think they must.

Still a disappointment I think, despite the overall draft class.
I'm with you there WCJ. I have no issues with Fabien and would be happy if he stays. What it might be getting down to is needing to make room for Vaillancourt to start. With Husband and Steward extended and Foucault and Vaillancourt also in the mix Hervey might find himself unable to offer the sort of situation and salary Fabien would want to stay. Or at least Hervey feels he can let Fabien explore free agency and maybe he finds BC's situation is as good as he will get and stays.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Nice meaty appetizer article from LU as we head toward Tuesday and Free Agency... Lets see who might be sending each other Valentines the day after.
http://3downnation.com/2018/02/11/team- ... ee-agency/
maxlion
Legend

Fabien is not a disappointment.

He has been a consistent starter since joining the league and projects to be a starter for years to come. The Leos have a bunch of national linemen who are either excellent in their roles or on very affordable contracts, so do not need to pay a premium for Fabien. It is not a knock on Fabien.

Kirby may not be an all star like Husband and Stewart, but he will be a sought after free agent.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The Lions gave up the most sacks and pressures of any team and yet they have a running QB. Most people here seem to blame Dan D for this, but the players have to take the blame too and our OL last year was below average. So far, it they have only cut 2 players from that OL, Palmer and now Fabien. I think they will sign an OL in free agency to replace him. I doubt he wants too much money, for his play last year was average or below. The Lions need better players on there. I remember when Buono first came here and they had the two all star import guys - Jason J and the great one's name escape my mind now. They have not had a great one since he left for the Argos, though I guess the guy in Montreal now came close.. They need to draft OL too in the upcoming draft and hopefully one day get Boyko.

Tomorrow is all begins and it will be interesting who they sign. I hope they get Konar and one new Canadian OL, though not much out there available.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Canadian defensive back Cauchy Muamba has signed a one-year contract with the Lions, per sources.

Muamba was originally selected in the fifth round, 34th overall by B.C. in the 2010 CFL draft. He played three seasons with the Lions, one with the Bombers and the last four with Edmonton.

The 30-year-old played in 13 games making nine tackles and one interception for a touchdown with the Eskimos in 2017. Muamba won a Grey Cup in green and gold in 2015.

Not sure what to make of this signing. They gave up on him years ago and now bring him back to replace Yell?
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The BC Lions Football Club today announced that international quarterback Travis Lulay has signed a contract with the team for the 2018 season.

“Travis is an important part of our team,” said head coach Wally Buono. “We saw last season that, when called upon, he can still be one of the very best quarterbacks in our league. He is a tremendous leader and we are very pleased to have him back in 2018.”

Last one left to sign is Fenner. Hope they get it done.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Re-signing Lulay is welcomed news. However, I find it interesting that the Lions press release only quotes Wally and not the GM. Especially as there has been no indication that Lulay will be healthy enough to play come opening night.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 am
Canadian defensive back Cauchy Muamba has signed a one-year contract with the Lions, per sources.

Muamba won a Grey Cup in green and gold in 2015.
Hervey signs one of his boys while we get ready to wave bye-bye to Fenner, Purifoy, Bazzie, Roh, and Yell. :thdn:
SammyGreene
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:

Muamba was originally selected in the fifth round, 34th overall by B.C. in the 2010 CFL draft. He played three seasons with the Lions, one with the Bombers and the last four with Edmonton.

The 30-year-old played in 13 games making nine tackles and one interception for a touchdown with the Eskimos in 2017. Muamba won a Grey Cup in green and gold in 2015.

Not sure what to make of this signing. They gave up on him years ago and now bring him back to replace Yell?
More like an upgrade as a national at safety

Was Lions starting safety when they won the cup in 2011. Wanted a significant increase on his rookie deal at the time and Wally let him walk. Obviously ratio comes into play and he will be a significant upgrade at safety on Anthony Thompson who was atrocious last year IMHO.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:

Was Lions starting safety when they won the cup in 2011. Wanted a significant increase on his rookie deal at the time and Wally let him walk. Obviously ratio comes into play and he will be a significant upgrade at safety on Anthony Thompson who was atrocious last year IMHO.
If Muamba is looked at as an upgrade then we really sucked at safety last year. Considering he was just in his 2nd season and learning a new position after starting the season at field corner I was more impressed with Thompson at safety last year than Muamba when he was in BC 6 years ago. Despite plenty of opportunity Muamba hasn't been a full time starter since he left Winnipeg. He played 54 games for the Eskimos over 4 years. He started only 13 with 8 of those coming back in 2015. He was basically a backup/depth guy in Edmonton. Didn't even play much on special teams.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
I liked Cauchy. Athletic. Could go up high to defend or steal a pass. He was not great of course. But he could cover ground and get over to cover deep. I expect he has learned and improved in his travels. Personally I don't think Thompson had the instincts for the position.
SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Not a fan of Thompson at Safety.
The BC Lions Football Club today announced that international quarterback Travis Lulay has signed a contract with the team for the 2018 season.
Excellent news. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
VictoriaFan
Starter

Muamba sucked at safety when he was in B.C. I'd prefer to see them groom the McDonald kid at safety, maybe Muamba has improved but I wasn't impressed with him
CardiacKid
Legend

I can’t see Muamba being anything more than a depth signing.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Will be interesting who their first signing is tomorrow. Is it Konar or someone else Hervey has on his radar? I expect them to sign at least 1 or 2 players tomorrow. They letting go a lot and still Fenner not signed. Suddenly they are weak at linebacker, other than Solly.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 am

“Travis is an important part of our team,” said head coach Wally Buono. “We saw last season that, when called upon, he can still be one of the very best quarterbacks in our league. He is a tremendous leader and we are very pleased to have him back in 2018.”

Last one left to sign is Fenner. Hope they get it done.
:thup: :thup: