Argos 40 - Lions 13, Post-Mortem Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Going to bring this over here as well, as it is pertinent to this game.
David wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:54 pm
Really disappointed the club didn't recognize Marco's tireless contributions to the club and community last night. The only thing they did, was show his face on the giant scoreboard in the 4th quarter. No special call-out (that I am aware of), or even introducing him last out of the tunnel (they introduced special teams).

They didn't even try to get the ball in his hands. In fact, he was substituted for Vandervoort. Bit of a fail as far as I'm concerned. On a night of massive misfires and colossal blunders, this wasn't a huge one, but should be pointed out.

DH :cool:
I agree, David.

A special introduction would have been appropriate, methinks.

"In his final game as a Lion, 7 year veteran, Marco Iannuzzi!"

Some short passes, early in the game, with high completion percentage, would have been appropriate. I think long bombs were a forlorn hope. Even a jet sweep would have been good. A kick return. Why the heck not? The game was never on the line. The game had zero significance. I think the fans would have had something to cheer about.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
maxlion
Legend

It's been pointed out a couple of times that Ianuzzi was targeted on at least a couple of plays, including on the last play of the game.

Some kind of recognition at the stadium for his community service would have been appropriate.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:16 pm
what we need is a famous bc hockey player, his teams owner, and a famous BC comedian, to buy the team,
I hope you’re not referring to Linden and Aquilini. I want Linden fired from the Canucks, and can’t wait for Aquilini to sell that team. Complete tire fire there. Stay far away from the Lions.
No argument with your feelings on the Canuckleheads, but I think KIA was referring to a famous Ontario hockey player and an Ontario comedian, along with a US slimeball hockey team owner, who bought the Argos in 1991. They got pretty quick results on the field and at the gate, but it didn't last long.
The_Pauser
Legend

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:37 pm
The_Pauser wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:16 pm
what we need is a famous bc hockey player, his teams owner, and a famous BC comedian, to buy the team,
I hope you’re not referring to Linden and Aquilini. I want Linden fired from the Canucks, and can’t wait for Aquilini to sell that team. Complete tire fire there. Stay far away from the Lions.
No argument with your feelings on the Canuckleheads, but I think KIA was referring to a famous Ontario hockey player and an Ontario comedian, along with a US slimeball hockey team owner, who bought the Argos in 1991. They got pretty quick results on the field and at the gate, but it didn't last long.
Ahh you're right. John Candy and Wayne Gretzky, with Bruce McNall.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz nailed it.
maxlion
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:13 pm
Blitz nailed it.
Right, you agree with his assessment of James Vaillencourt and Facault? And how about that Bob Lulay?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:06 am
The reality is that no amount of mentoring can overcome our offensive scheme, lack of game planning, and lack of preparation. Everything about our offence is off-kilter. Our pass patterns are badly designed, executed too slowly, and are predictable. We’re at least a half second to a full second too slow. I watch other teams run their crossing patterns and our stems are too deep and we don’t run them at full speed. We look amateurish playing against prosl

On defense, we are still fundamentally flawed, scheme wise. If an offence runs four receivers to the wide side of the field, we only have three defenders and no linebacker coving the flat. It’s a flaw that we have not corrected since Mark Washington took over our defense. Defenders end up running around not knowing who to cover and opposing teams exploit it with enthusiasm and relish.
Points well made, Blitz.

Yes. Systemic failures on offence and defence.

And worst of all might be special teams.

Stale ideas. Stale philosophy. Staying with what is well known, but so easily scouted.

Defenders anticipating and running our pass routes, our receivers blanketed.

Receivers finding huge gaps in our zone defence.

Our STs fooled, tricked, time and time again. It is all there on the tape, vulnerabilities exposed and exploited.

We make our players enter a street fight with one arm restrained. The opponents have the book on us. They read our mail and our telegraphs. It is all telegraphed. No tricks. We do not favour deception. Here we come. Try and stop us. Well they do stop us. Here we are. Try and beat us. Well they do beat us.

We won 7 games and lost 11. We have competitive talent. (As noted numerous times, it is my opinion that our blueprint for the Internationals on the D Line is flawed. Re the O Line, my views have been expressed here for years.)

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

David
Team Captain

I'm sorry, but a team that only wins 2 of its final 11 football games is due for a major shake-up, let alone one with as much talent as the 2017 BC Lions. Do you think Wally the GM would keep a coach with this record? I appreciate what he has done for this organization. Big time. But Wally would be staying on for the wrong reasons if he doesn't want to go out with this blemish or thinks he "owes it" to Braley or the players.

Sure, we can upgrade the crucially important O and D lines. Jennings and Lulay might be a stable and dynamic pairing in 2018. But what makes anyone think we're going to beat our Western opponents in big games? As WCJ says, we're just too easy to scout, especially on offense. Special teams? Well, that is, frankly, a disaster - master-minded by the head coach. I've seen it with my own eyes.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Punt by Ty Long.

Return by Martese Jackson.

No contain on the left by the Lions. Bad angles of pursuit. 53 yards on the return.

Amateur hour.

As Wally said at half time: "Embarrassing." Yes, for the coaches.

2017-11-09_1240.png
2017-11-09_1241.png
2017-11-09_1241_001.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.