CFL Games of Week 20, November 3 - November 4, 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:27 am
Way to go, Andrew Harris. 1,000 yards rushing.

Record number of receptions.
While TSN commentators were calling for Harris to get out of the game my take was that it might not play well with Harris to have sat him versus get those personal stats and the CFL rushing title where he was able to beat out Powell in the second half. Messam was slipping all night but he could have won it with a big run.
We know Harris wants to play. He is very durable. He knows how to protect himself. But ball carriers are vulnerable, as with the the hit he took last week. Tough call for O'Shea. It worked out.

As noted Messam did not look comfortable in the cold weather. Nor did his teammates. Not good for the Stampeders losing three in a row heading to the playoffs. Riders. Eskimos. Bombers. It looks good on the Stampeders.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:02 am
Toppy Vann wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:27 am
Way to go, Andrew Harris. 1,000 yards rushing.

Record number of receptions.
While TSN commentators were calling for Harris to get out of the game my take was that it might not play well with Harris to have sat him versus get those personal stats and the CFL rushing title where he was able to beat out Powell in the second half. Messam was slipping all night but he could have won it with a big run.
We know Harris wants to play. He is very durable. He knows how to protect himself. But ball carriers are vulnerable, as with the the hit he took last week. Tough call for O'Shea. It worked out.

As noted Messam did not look comfortable in the cold weather. Nor did his teammates. Not good for the Stampeders losing three in a row heading to the playoffs. Riders. Eskimos. Bombers. It looks good on the Stampeders.
If Messam was on fire and headed to beat out Powell and Harris last night for the rushing title, I'm thinking his HC would have let him run. A guess only.

Harris was at risk big time but something tells me that the Bombers know that Harris would be down if he was sitting and not at least getting a fair chance to get the title.

When someone looks at the culture of the CFL versus the NFL you only need to look at the relationship with the media and how the CFL players treat the TSN and other reporters. Duron Carter after 231 yards in one game was touted on Tweeter as heading back to the NFL and he tweeted back to stop them as he had those '"chains on" before.

Check out Collaros when he tells the reporter 'I love you but that was the worst question you ever asked in all the year's I've known you' comment - reporter laughs. All players and coaches treat Sarah Orlesky with respect BUT quite frankly IMO she's earned that over the years in all sports. Look at how Cam Newton has treated a female reporter on routes and how he's doing walk offs.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/collaros-ha ... rt~1251251

Bo Levi Mitchell says he's a star and is on social media to promote the CFL.

The Mike Reilly stuff on Matthew Scianitti's dress is hilarious and shows respect.

It's a good part of the CFL game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Schmos 8 - 0 over Riders
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders hanging on to a 1 point lead with 10:23 left in the game. 14-13
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders hanging on to a 1 point lead with 10:23 left in the game. 14-13
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Edmonton scores. Now 21-13
maxlion
Legend

Winnipeg managed to crush Calgary with only 91 passing yards.

Riders started the year with weakest qb combination in the league, but somehow made it work. Chris Jones does things his way. If they get a qb, they will be a force next year.

Calgary going through the motions. Can they turn it on for the playoffs?

Sunderland in Edmonton looking good, courtesy of Ed Hervey. Hervey should be the frontrunner for the job in BC next year.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:16 pm
Winnipeg managed to crush Calgary with only 91 passing yards.

Riders started the year with weakest qb combination in the league, but somehow made it work. Chris Jones does things his way. If they get a qb, they will be a force next year.

Calgary going through the motions. Can they turn it on for the playoffs?

Sunderland in Edmonton looking good, courtesy of Ed Hervey. Hervey should be the frontrunner for the job in BC next year.
Riders have made the QB combo work so far but ESKs on fire tonight. Carter playing both sides of the ball was a non factor on OFF with one near miss that might have changed the momentum as he was in behind and Bridge tried to toss it to him versus just lead him and let him run onto it.

The game breaker was the phantom (?) illegal contact upgraded to PI and the ball at the 1 yard line. I say "phantom" as TSN didn't find where the call was.

Hervey is likely a candidate for no GM role in the CFL based on his attitude alone. But Montreal took Kavis so maybe he can work with the ALS.

Not sure if you caught Ed's latest interview on next year where it was a lot about how he got wronged and how in 17 years (most as a player) no one had an issue with him. I agreed that his firing timing was brutal and quite gutless but he's just one of those guys who's all about who wronged him and he just never seems to grasp how he's his own worst enemy.

As a relative of a long time CFL assistant quoted that coach: 'The CFL is just too small a league to rub people the wrong way' and that's Hervey in a nut shell. I don't recall any sadness from the coaching staff or players when Ed got fired.

Any new GM in BC has to be a builder with relationship building skills as part of the role is media. A chip on your shoulder as Hervey always has is an anathema in this BC sports market.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
maxlion
Legend

Hervey spent 18 years with the Eskimos. Player to head scout to gm. I'm sure he made some mistakes, but you don't last that long in one organization without some people skills.

He made a lot of right decisions. I don't mind if he has a bit of attitude. I thought he came across very well in that TSN interview.