Season Ticket Renewal

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

In the past I have "renewed early" to take advantage of the monthly payment plan. In one of the years, the Leo's bought me off with a "free" jersey if I renewed early which I did. After the performance of the coaches and organization this year, I will not be renewing early.

My intention is to wait and see what direction the team is taking and the steps that are taken in the off-season. My decision around renewal will be based on the organization's actions.

In other words, just like Wally, who assesses players (and cuts) based on their performance, I will be assessing the Lions organization based on their performance before making my decision on ST renewal.
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

Do you not think that they know there are problems? If we don't renew eventually we wont have a team to *beeotch* about, it's that simple. I'm also a Waterboy and let me tell you, they know there are issues. But also it's the first time in 21 years we haven't made the playoffs, it was inevitable. So while I understand the frustration, I don't understand the hesitation. Just my 2 cents worth.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

InUrFace wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:15 am
After reading about you fans renewing your season tickets. Its got me to think and I'll say this polite as I possible.
Half of you on here complain about everything that has taken place with this team. From ownership to coaches, players and Wally of course. Yet, I hear on this site you fans want change and you sound like you fighting for it.

So tell me why in the F'n would you be so fast in buying season tickets when the change hasnt taken place. Dont you think if they see season ticket holders renewing it makes them think oh wait they still believe in Wally and the system and coaches. You guys cry so much complain out the ass yet you jump the gun before anything is clear with the direction this football organization is going. Yes we hear through the media, TV, Radio blah blah. About the team selling then not ..Wally retiring but maybe not. So do you guys think its necessary to show support yet. Let voices of the fans be heard give uncertainty to renewing but no... you guys just made that much easier for them to keep Wally if the team dont sell. Then you guys show support to the owner to renew tickets and for what.

Well all I have to say Im frustrated with fans like this you cry wolf and dont take a stand against the problem so now dont blame the team or coaches next season if you have the same boring unexciting product on the field with the same type of boring coaches. The only blame you can have is looking at yourself in the mirror.

So sick of fans like this. Real fans who bleed orange want change stick up and make a stand ..they dont throw in a towel and surrender. You make my head shake.

As a fan I have made much noise letting my voice being heard from radio, FB, here, blogs, TSN, three down radio. post games etc etc. Ive let them hear and notice my frustration.

What have you all done. Nada but renew your freaking tickets. make comments on here how bad things are. You guys frustrate me. Im out! No words for you all!
I've followed this squad since 1964 when I was 7 and my first football was the football shaped replica Javex bleach bottle. If you remember that you're an old fart like me. :wink: If anything I've only defended Braley and Buono. The main reason for that is because early on in my days as a fan I endured season after season of mediocre to lousy BC Lions football where I would've been ecstatic for a season like this. The first time I saw the Lions live was at the 1965 training camp in Courtenay. I was hooked but what did it get me? I was 20 and old enough to go to the pub to drown my sorrows before the Lions finally were providing a decent product and a team I could have some pride in. That's with all due respect to the 74 Lions who produced BC's best record between 1964 and 1977 when they managed to go 8-8 thanks to Lou Harris and Monroe Eley overcoming the fact Don Moorhead was the QB.

I find it interesting at all the consternation over the 2017 Lions. The 20 year playoff streak is the 2nd longest in CFL history. Sadly all streaks eventually come to an end as my Detroit Red Wings found out this year. Streaks coming to an end are right up there with death and taxes as sure things in life. This is the 64th year of BC Lions football and 21st of Braley's ownership. In 21 years of Braley ownership, representing 1/3 of their history, Lions fans have enjoyed more success, not to mention next to no dark days, than they saw in the first 43 years. The Lions made the playoffs 20 times winning the GC 3 times and this year may well be the first with as few as 6 wins. Prior to the Braley era the Lions made the playoffs 19 times while missing them 23 times. They failed to win more than 6 games 21 times compared to 22 seasons of 7 or more wins. In many ways I think the combination of Braley and Buono have been victims of their own onfield success. The level of expectations amongst the fan base under them has placed the bar much higher than in the past. The only notable exceptions might be the 2 glory years in the 60s and 5 years under Matthews in the 80s. Those eras were over in a blink compared to the recent extended run.

At the end of the day most of us are fans through thick and thin, win or lose; not thick and thick, win or win. I would submit that anybody bailing on renewing strictly because of their feelings over ownership and management, when it's evident those things will change, truly fall into the fairweather fan category. The Lions will be sold. Buono will retire. It will happen sooner than later. Fans bailing on renewing STs to send a message are not going to speed that process up, nor slow it down.
Last edited by Hambone on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
VICIOUSCIRCLE
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 am
InUrFace wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:15 am
After reading about you fans renewing your season tickets. Its got me to think and I'll say this polite as I possible.
Half of you on here complain about everything that has taken place with this team. From ownership to coaches, players and Wally of course. Yet, I hear on this site you fans want change and you sound like you fighting for it.

So tell me why in the F'n would you be so fast in buying season tickets when the change hasnt taken place. Dont you think if they see season ticket holders renewing it makes them think oh wait they still believe in Wally and the system and coaches. You guys cry so much complain out the ass yet you jump the gun before anything is clear with the direction this football organization is going. Yes we hear through the media, TV, Radio blah blah. About the team selling then not ..Wally retiring but maybe not. So do you guys think its necessary to show support yet. Let voices of the fans be heard give uncertainty to renewing but no... you guys just made that much easier for them to keep Wally if the team dont sell. Then you guys show support to the owner to renew tickets and for what.

Well all I have to say Im frustrated with fans like this you cry wolf and dont take a stand against the problem so now dont blame the team or coaches next season if you have the same boring unexciting product on the field with the same type of boring coaches. The only blame you can have is looking at yourself in the mirror.

So sick of fans like this. Real fans who bleed orange want change stick up and make a stand ..they dont throw in a towel and surrender. You make my head shake.

As a fan I have made much noise letting my voice being heard from radio, FB, here, blogs, TSN, three down radio. post games etc etc. Ive let them hear and notice my frustration.

What have you all done. Nada but renew your freaking tickets. make comments on here how bad things are. You guys frustrate me. Im out! No words for you all!
I've followed this squad since 1964 when I was 7 and my first football was the football shaped replica Javex bleach bottle. If you remember that you're an old fart like me. :wink: If anything I've only defended Braley and Buono. The main reason for that is because early on in my days as a fan I endured season after season of mediocre to lousy BC Lions football where I would've been ecstatic for a season like this. The first time I saw the Lions live was at the 1965 training camp in Courtenay. I was hooked but what did it get me? I was 20 and old enough to go to the pub to drown my sorrows before the Lions finally were providing a decent product and a team I could have some pride in. That's with all due respect to the 74 Lions who produced BC's best record 1964 and 1977 when they managed to go 8-8 thanks to Lou Harris and Monroe Eley overcoming the fact Don Moorhead was the QB.

I find it interesting at all the consternation over the 2017 Lions. The 20 year playoff streak is the 2nd longest in CFL history. Sadly all streaks eventually come to an end as my Detroit Red Wings found out this year. This is the 64th year of BC Lions football and 21st of Braley's ownership. In 21 years of Braley ownership, representing 1/3 of their history, Lions fans have enjoyed more success, not to mention next to no dark days, than they saw in the first 43 years. The Lions made the playoffs 20 times winning the GC 3 times and this year may well be the first with as few as 6 wins. Prior to the Braley era the Lions made the playoffs 19 times while missing them 23 times. They failed to win more than 6 games 21 times compared to 22 seasons of 7 or more wins. In many ways I think the combination of Braley and Buono have been victims of their own onfield success. The level of expectations amongst the fan base under them has placed the bar much higher than in the past. The only notable exceptions might be the 2 glory years in the 60s and 5 years under Matthews in the 80s. Those eras were over in a blink compared to the recent extended run.

At the end of the day most of us are fans through thick and thin, win or lose; not thick and thick, win or win. I would submit that anybody bailing on renewing strictly because of their feelings over ownership and management, when it's evident those things will change, truly fall into the fairweather fan category. The Lions will be sold. Buono will retire. It will happen sooner than later. Fans bailing on renewing STs to send a message are not going to speed that process up, nor slow it down.
Thank you Hambone, I couldn't have said it better myself.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone's last sentence in his post above is all you need to know:

"Fans bailing on renewing STs to send a message are not going to speed that process up, nor slow it down. "
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

With all due respect to Hambone, fans bailing on the their renewal are also sending a message: the same old same old is not good enough.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As usual, my perspective is similar to Hambone’s. I started following the Lions in 1963 when they were taking their first run at the Grey Cup. I got my first season tickets in 1967 when they were in one of their worst playoff droughts. I attended my first training camp year or two later at UBC.

I dropped my season tickets for a few decades while working nights and weekends and raising a family but I still attended as many games as I could, often with my wife and four kids.

On the day David Braley was announced as the new team owner 20 years ago, I happened to run into him with Glen Ringdal. I shook his hand and thanked him for saving the franchise and vowed to sign up for new season tickets. I’ve had them ever since, through the most successful era in franchise history, with 20 straight playoff appearances and 3 Grey Cup championships.

I am a Lions fan, through thick and thin. Fair-weather fans may come and go, attracted by star players, competitive teams and the pursuit of championships. I love to study football and comment freely on what I like and don’t like but my loyalty to the franchise is not dependent on wins and losses.
InUrFace
Rookie

Its not about what I did for this team in the past (David B) its what has he done for it lately. If you live in the past you cant live in the present day there for you can have no future. We dont drive while looking at the rear view mirror we look forward the rear view is our past not present or future. To have success in this organization and franchise we must move on from the days of old and want change and I dont mean change a OC or DC. I mean real change. From top to bottom. Starting with ownership. Now David and his stalling technique about the law suit is absolute crap. Even on three down radio they said that. I believe David is waiting on Skulsky and his group to come up with the monies. I dont think he wants to sell it to Canuck boys. I will be contacting one of my friends close to them to see what is really going on. I know the last time I talked to him he said they are ready to buy just waiting on David to make his mind up to sell or not. So that was back in Augst. This is telling me David is playing games.

Anyways back to the fans at hand that renewing helps the situation.
I feel your totally wrong if there was no purchasing of season tickets that there would be no team. It just shows that we want change. Send back your renewal with a letter attached. Stating how you feel as a fan. Saying you will renew once you see changes occur. That shows support but only when things happen. To prove to the fans yes we made the changes yes we heard you fans and we deliver what you asked.

I also know corporate sponsorship a few that arent doing anything until change happens. So at least they sticking to their guns. Why waist hard earned money on something that you know isnt right. Its like buying a 2017 Lambo because it looks good from the outside yet when you pop the hood the engine is missing. Well thats exactly what this team was this season. We look good on paper but the coaches were the engine and they were missing.
My final thoughts to this situation dont give in to brainwashing by hearing Wally, David or whom ever saying we will fix it. See the fixing taking place first.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Doesn't really matter to me if Braley and Buono are gone tomorrow or still running the show 10 years from now. I'll be renewing unless my personal situation (finances, health or logistics) dictate otherwise. I'm there for the guys wearing the jerseys and helmets. I enjoy coming to Vancouver and the Lions give ne reason to come to town. If there is anything that causes me to consider not renewing it's the hotel prices I have to pay. Tickets are dirt cheap compared to that.

I mean who knows. Acquilini might buy the team and hire Taman to be GM and Taman could hire Lapolice or Richie Hall to be HC. Would I be happy with any of those things? No. But I'd still renew because I love the Lions and they are the most affordable and accessible team I can travel to see.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.