CFL Games of Week 18, October 20 - 22

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SSK @ CGY ... I think Calgary wins. Could be close.

WPG @ Tor ... Argos

EDM @ BC ... We could win.

HAM @ MTL ... TiCats
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Games of Week 18

2017-10-15_0523.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Standings

2017-10-15_0539.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/14/playoff-s ... 7-week-18/
Playoff Scenarios: A look ahead at next week

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO — The Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Edmonton Eskimos have both clinched playoff berths with wins on Saturday which makes for an interesting Week 18 starting next Friday.

The Stampeders can clinch the division with a win and the Bombers can clinch a home berth by doing the same.

BC is hanging on by a thread and needs a win and a Saskatchewan loss to stay alive.

In the East, Toronto are set to host their first playoff game since 2013 after the Calgary Stampeders offered up some help, defeating the Argos’ rival Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

That said, Toronto has a game in hand on first place Ottawa but both teams have byes in the final three weeks of the season. Nothing can be decided in Week 18 in the East but the Argos can remain in the driver’s seat with a win over Winnipeg.
"Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game." -- Jim Mora, in one of his rants. LOL

Not with much hope riding on it. This fan does not really want to see us limp over to the East, backing into the playoffs. But we ain't dead yet. The players will continue to put their bodies and pride on the line.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:25 am

WPG @ Tor ... Argos

HAM @ MTL ... TiCats
Esks with the best D line in the league against the Lions with the worst pass blocking O line in the CFL, coached by a staff that not only are far from innovative, they are lame duck coaches who will likely be out of work next season. It is the worst possible match up for the Lions who have earlier in the season got beat convincingly by the Esks at a time in the season when the Lions were actually playing their best football.

BC Place will be near empty because the fans know it will be a guaranteed loss game. :bang:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:11 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:

WPG @ Tor ... Argos

HAM @ MTL ... TiCats
Esks with the best D line in the league against the Lions with the worst pass blocking O line in the CFL, coached by a staff that not only are far from innovative, they are lame duck coaches who will likely be out of work next season. It is the worst possible match up for the Lions who have earlier in the season got beat convincingly by the Esks at a time in the season when the Lions were actually playing their best football.

BC Place will be near empty because the fans know it will be a guaranteed loss game. :bang:
I am not quite hoping for a win. But I believe it could happen. The Eskimos are not world beaters themselves.

We still have talent.

Our guys will play hard.

Maybe our defence plays well, as they did vs the Bombers. Maybe we give Jennings a game plan that aims to neutralize pressure. Maybe the Eskimos don't get to sit on our pass routes.

Not quite hoping. But it has my attention.

Your scenario is more likely.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Eskimos @ Lions

Some keys ...

Defence

Be nice if we are able to pressure Reilly. If not, he could light us up. Will their offence pick apart our soft, conservative zone?

I expect we will contain Gable well enough.

Offence

The Esks D Line is highly regarded. Will we have game prep that helps out our young quarterback? Or will we throw him to the wolves once again? Quick hitters. Check downs to JJ24. Even some hitch passes to Manny or Burnham. The swing passes to Burnham looked much better than the week before, but it was against prevent. More screen passes. Roll outs. Move the pocket around. Too much prep? Better to keep it simple? LOL Will our receivers get separation, or will it seem like the defence correctly anticipates our routes? Jennings is not our first QB to eat the ball, rather than throw it away. Dickenson took tons of hits that way too. JJ10 might as well throw it away if the protection breaks down before receivers establish their routes. Is he coached to throw it away? It does not look like it. If no one is open, no check down, you have three choices: 1) eat it, taking the sack, 2) throw it away, or 3) run. Lulay pressured defences as he is still an excellent runner, one of the best ever, IMO. While agile, with good escapability, I do not think JJ10 has that same ability to run as Lulay.

And of course, establish the run. Stay with it. Wear down the D Line.

STs.

We are in no man's land. Peel back to block and we expose ourselves to onside kicks. We seem unable to create gaps for one of the best kick returners we have ever seen, Chris Rainey. No trick or treats, Please. Good cover, Please.

Hopes are diminished. But I expect our guys will play hard. We still have talent.

Can we win the line of scrimmage on O and D? "Aye, there is the rub." Pass protection and pass rush. We give up tons of pressures and sacks. And we generate very few of those ourselves.

Just IMO.

As always, it will be interesting. We will see how the Generals marshall their troops. Alignments. Movements. Strategies. Tactics. In other words, game planning and play calling.

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

that sad eskimo defense can be picked on, specially the dbs, if JJ10 can get his act together.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Go Esks. Put the Lions out of their misery
leo4life
All Star

Riley & Benny back in town not a social visit with Wally it will be a beatdown...Eskimos 30 BC 10
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The TiCats are out of the playoffs. The Lions' hopes are hanging by a thread. :towel: Our players have not given up.

2017-10-18_0857.png

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:

WPG @ Tor ... Argos

HAM @ MTL ... TiCats
SSK @ CGY... It might be a close one. Sask is sounding like the 94 BC Lions who went on to win the GC (okay maybe not quite like that group of brawlers but it seems they're pretty focused and intense). I hate going on a limb as that destroys the enjoyment of the game so I'll leave it at as a toss up.

WPG should win this one - but it could be close.

BC to get a W but it comes with some serious IFs.

HAM should win as MTL is a mess. The question arose on 3Down Nation if the Zach should play to shop him or see if he's a starter again. My view is that he should get some action but what message does making ZC send to Masoli who's done not badly under the new regime.

As an aside, one of the reasons for sacking JC was that he wasn't involving all the coaches in game planning. Well as someone who has held senior positions for most of my career whatever happened to laying the law down, if your HC refuses to listen to your counsel on his leadership style? That is the GM's final option - threaten to fire the guy's ass but his first response is to coach and counsel the right ways to do the job.

But we all now Reed's a nut job and recent articles making him look foolish say just that. Farhan L said Reed is the how to manual on how not to be a GM.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I would not count SSK out vs CGY. Could not bet on them however.

Also, I would not count WPG out vs TOR.

We will probably play hard vs the Schmos.

No hope for the Alouettes. Yup.

2017-10-18_1526.png

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Duron Carter expected to play both ways against the Stamps. Should be interesting to see how he does

http://www.tsn.ca/riders-carter-to-play ... s-1.888654
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WOW.. Duron Carter to play CB and REC vs Stamps.

In the old days of Jackie Parker, Kenny Ploen, etc - all these guys played two ways.

Jim Young Dirty 30 played both ways.

http://www.tsn.ca/riders-carter-to-play ... s-1.888654

Bo Levi response on Twitter:
Calgary quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell took to social media to warn Carter that he can expect a lot of action when he's on defence.
"Don't do it Duron.. you'll get 25 balls thrown at you," Mitchell tweeted.
Jovon Johnson stepped up nicely on the fight matter in the interviews! Very impressive.

But the media looked foolish as Bakari Grant made it clear that he 'd answer just football questions. They had none. A must see interview.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy