Chris Williams

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:36 pm
don't suppose sask would consider trading owens for Williams and something else

would the lions??
Some wonder why BC signed Williams. I wonder why the Riders signed Owens. He's 35 going on 36. He's missed at least 5 games every year since last playing a full slate back in 2012. After sitting out all season he finally suited up for the Riders last 2 games only because of Roosevelt going down. His numbers in the 2 games look good because he moved into Roosevelt's starting slot position. Owens is a slotback. That's where he's effective. As long as Manny and Burnham are here he'd have to lineup as a wideout.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:48 am
KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:36 pm
don't suppose sask would consider trading owens for Williams and something else

would the lions??
Some wonder why BC signed Williams. I wonder why the Riders signed Owens. He's 35 going on 36. He's missed at least 5 games every year since last playing a full slate back in 2012. After sitting out all season he finally suited up for the Riders last 2 games only because of Roosevelt going down. His numbers in the 2 games look good because he moved into Roosevelt's starting slot position. Owens is a slotback. That's where he's effective. As long as Manny and Burnham are here he'd have to lineup as a wideout.
I suspect the Riders took a flyer on Chad Owens as they needed depth and he was likely not too costly. It's kind of worked well as he's come in these last two games on fire and gave defences a different look and they've not all adjusted to them. He's a good leader as he's a hard worker.

Trading for Chad Owens might be as bad as signing Nik Lewis now that he's saying he's retiring and I love both of these players even now.

I looked at the Chris Williams acquisition in two ways:

1. In part, it seemed an odd acquisition given their needs and a wee bit similar to the Lions sending Joe Smith packing for Charles Roberts when they had a similar player and Wally dreaming of the days in seasons past where they stayed up all night figuring out to stop Sir Charles.

2. CW didn't fit what Wally's offense does - even he admits you can't trade for the enviroment which includes how the player is used streaking down the sidelines with a QB hitting him in full stride versus giving him a 50/50 or even a 60/40 ball.

Granted the Lions had to bring him on slowly due to his injury but that seemed to be give him short passes versus stretching defenses with longer passes and granted the Lions OLine under Dorazio never gives a QB the time that Bo Levi gets in Calgary irrespective of who plays in front of him (on most nights).

I know there's more to environment than how a player is used and to some extent the current crop of Lions emit signs (Lowell's comments and recent blogs) reminiscent of those victimized by the Stockholm Syndrome when you hear things like the locker room lacks leadership.

What a Chris Williams failure does show to other would be Lion FAs is how BC can be a graveyard with Wally teams. He really seems to do best by finding and growing his own.

I hope for Chris Williams' sake he gets hooked up in a new situation where a coach believes in him and his offense provides him a chance to demo his skills.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The Riders signed Owens with the thought of him being their primary returner. The move was somewhat similar to BC adding Williams in that he also was recovering from injuries sustained last year. Biggest difference I suppose was that BC expected Williams to return pretty close to when he did. I think the Riders expected Owens to be in the lineup very early in the season at the latest. There was some talk right before the LDC that he might suit up there as a returner but he was never really ready until recently.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Chris Williiams

The song...."gone so long, she's been gone so long, gone so long" will be changed for Chris Williams to...."gone and so long, gone and so long, gone and so long for 2018"

Not Williams fault. Not the right fit for our offence and our offence does not fit itself to players. Which means hasta la vista to Williams. Plus he is more expensive next season. Trade him to Montreal for Olifioye.....but Montreal would never do it.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I have always preferred Owens to Williams.

I think he would fit in well with the lions, but expect him to still be with the riders next season.

Has Burnham always played on the inside?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Owens is getting on in years, wear and tear. But he is very spunky and tough. I expect Jones loves those qualities. They inspire teammates.

I would say Owens was a good short term addition. Maybe even next year.

Does Jones know how to utilize players? I would say, Yes. Outside the box thinking with Carter, for example. Bridges for example. Kevin Glenn for example.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.