Is Wally Staying around in 2018?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Just to clarify maxlion, I wasn't considering Noel Thorpe for the vacant Head Coaching position in BC. I was suggesting that IF Mark Washington were to be promoted to HC, then bringing in Thorpe for the vacant defensive coordinator position would be an astute move. Montreal's defense has played at a high level for a long time (despite being on the field so much due to offensive ineptitude).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
leo4life
All Star

Will Khari be back next season?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

unless the team is bought by someone like ryan Reynolds, change in ownership is not likely to improve attendance much.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:52 am
Noel Thorpe as defensive coordinator would be a coup.

Agree. That would be my choice as well
CardiacKid
Legend

leo4life wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:47 pm
Will Khari be back next season?
If a new HC comes in and examines player opinion, I suspect Jones will be on thin ice. At least, I am basing that on the player rumblings we have heard and heard about.

But my opinion above serves to highlight a question that has been posed again and again on Lionbackers. Namely, to what extent does Wally influence the playbook and how much free rein does he give his coordinators?

Player discontent may be directed at Khari or Wally. Or both.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

One assistant coach whose name has been mentioned for potential CFL coaching vacancies is Devone Claybrooks. He's just in his second season as the Stampeders' defensive coordinator after four seasons as defensive line coach but his defence leads the league in most categories and he has played and worked for some of the best organizations in the CFL in Montreal and Calgary after bouncing around the NFL for many years. To my knowledge, he has no connection to the Lions or the West Coast but neither did Wally before he got here. If he wants to be a head coach, he's not likely to get that chance in Calgary while Dickenson is there.
leo4life
All Star

Claybrooks looks like a strong leader and quick study.Hes already surpased most of Lions staff in only his 2nd year as DC.Farjan also sugessted that Jones has permission from Wally to run what he wants.🤣
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 pm
Farjan also sugessted that Jones has permission from Wally to run what he wants.🤣
Evidence would strongly suggest otherwise.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:53 pm
One assistant coach whose name has been mentioned for potential CFL coaching vacancies is Devone Claybrooks. He's just in his second season as the Stampeders' defensive coordinator after four seasons as defensive line coach but his defence leads the league in most categories and he has played and worked for some of the best organizations in the CFL in Montreal and Calgary after bouncing around the NFL for many years. To my knowledge, he has no connection to the Lions or the West Coast but neither did Wally before he got here. If he wants to be a head coach, he's not likely to get that chance in Calgary while Dickenson is there.
One guy on the Stampeders staff that doesn't seem to get much press but he has 13 years as a coach in their organization is Mark Kilam. The Stamps' special teams have been solid under his watch.
maxlion
Legend

David wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:03 pm
Just to clarify maxlion, I wasn't considering Noel Thorpe for the vacant Head Coaching position in BC. I was suggesting that IF Mark Washington were to be promoted to HC, then bringing in Thorpe for the vacant defensive coordinator position would be an astute move. Montreal's defense has played at a high level for a long time (despite being on the field so much due to offensive ineptitude).

I know. Didn’t mean to suggest that you were advocating NT as HC, and my apologies if my post implied this. Just using an example to illustrate how HC and DC may require different skill sets.
don corleone
Starter

Thinking the plan at Free Agency was that it would be easier to sell a Grey Cup champ than an also ran which hasn't yet come to fruition although it could.

If things are status quo it is time for the players to look to themselves for the answer.

Not a fan of the idea of going with a defensive guy for coach but not my team.

Believe also that community ownership has evolved and can not be compared to the days of farmers hauling grain etc. Kind of a liberal just print more money era.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:53 pm
One guy on the Stampeders staff that doesn't seem to get much press but he has 13 years as a coach in their organization is Mark Kilam. The Stamps' special teams have been solid under his watch.
I concur. Very involved with his players on the sidelines.
The_Pauser
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 pm
leo4life wrote:
Farjan also sugessted that Jones has permission from Wally to run what he wants.🤣
Or maybe people's bias gets in the way? Occam's Razor. Jones is running the offense and doing a poor job of it. Wally isn't pulling the stings forcing Jones to do things he doesn't want to do.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:23 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 pm
leo4life wrote:
Or maybe people's bias gets in the way? Occam's Razor. Jones is running the offense and doing a poor job of it. Wally isn't pulling the stings forcing Jones to do things he doesn't want to do.
It's easy to gripe about the play-calling but modern offences give the quarterback wide latitude to read the defence pre- and post-snap and distribute the ball accordingly. This is where the Lions have struggled at times this year with Jennings at quarterback. I've recently cited stats that the B.C. offence ranked first in the league by a wide margin with Lulay at QB but seventh with Jennings at the controls. It all comes down to the play of the quarterback.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:50 am
Braley is looking for a financially sound owner who has an appreciation for the Lions history/commmunity.

That is a limited list if there is a list at all that would want to tie their name and money to that purchase.

The Lions franchise is best described as a roller coaster ride, quick to top and riding out the fall for as lo by as possible. Braley's has been the longest ride yet, even had a second loop in there. However without the revenue generator like the other franchises (parking and concessions) the Lions aren't playing on the same level as those franchises. For the price Braley has been seeking$20M reportedly, the buyer would be better to go buy the Stamps at that dollar.

As for community ownership, well I can't see that this day and age and especially given the decline the Lions have fallen in recent years. Getting the funding for what Bralley is looking for would be the first of several hurdles to jump. At least with a private owner you only need one vision and sooner than later you will find out if that vision is sound or not.

Had Braley sold the club with the excitement of Wally's first Lion GC, odds are a reasonable sale and return for his investment should have been available. Now without a long term GM/HC with a team on the upswing value has to be at an all time low.

It bodes for a Pezim/Rykman type to come in for the headlines and quick turnover for profit. Inn this account I will give Braley the credit to push this style ownership away. His pockets are deep enough and his knowledge great enough to know to stay away from any ownership that isn't stable.

IMO the sale of the Lions will be next to impossible under the above circumstances. Add to that the potential of Wally moving on in life and the next two seasons aren't going to be easy for Lion fans.

The ride is coming to an end.
That's a pretty bleak picture you painted Rammer but an accurate one. Braley also had a great window to sell after the 2011 cup win and that was attached to moving back into a renovated BC Place.

If he is waiting for things to get better there is no way it will under the current business model. A further drop in the season ticket base after an entertaining 2016 with a young exciting QB is all the evidence needed. What a contrast to the excitement Printers generated back in 2004 and what that did for attendance. What's going to happen next season if they miss the playoffs?

The disconnect with this team and league right now with the average sports fan in Metro Vancouver is immense. I guess a new owner could at least look at that and know they could do so much better.

Best selling point right now is the fact the current TSN deal doesn't expire until 2021. That's good news considering this season's ratings and the continued cable cutting.
Overall, ratings are down more than 13 per cent from last year’s 592,000 average on TSN, though late-season and playoff games should help that number considerably – especially if the Riders remain in contention.
My buddy and I at work were discussing what a success the Canadians have become. He said he pays $12.50 for a ticket but drops at least $50 on beer and food which goes to the team. That's a massive revenue advantage compared to the Lions and Whitecaps.

This is actually a pretty depressing thread. I've been looking forward to a fresh start for this franchise and status quo on the ownership/business side and promoting from within on the football side for 2018 would be a big letdown.