Is Wally Staying around in 2018?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 pm
Bouno Jones & Washington all noted on 3rd Down Nation that what they are running scheme wise is just not working.Khari:We have to look at doing things differently
Washington:Same old same old wont get it done...see what changes come out the bye week but i dont see them changing much now
Changes ......... what changes ? All we need to get back on track is better player execution.
leo4life
All Star

"Players must get back to execution" LOL
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 pm
Bouno Jones & Washington all noted on 3rd Down Nation that what they are running scheme wise is just not working.Khari:We have to look at doing things differently
Washington:Same old same old wont get it done...see what changes come out the bye week but i dont see them changing much now
http://3downnation.com/2017/10/03/leavi ... ons-buono/

From Lowell Ullrich ...
As such, a greater short-term dilemma is getting more out of a 6-7 team whose coach/GM maintains has sufficient talent. B.C.’s embarrassing 24-23 loss to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats sparked another review by Buono during the Lions’ recent bye week which has resulted in changes in the team’s practice regimen and promises of an altered approach when they take the field Saturday at B.C. Place Stadium against the Ottawa Redblacks. -- Lowell Ullrich
"a 6-7 team whose coach/GM maintains has sufficient talent"

... This fan agrees with that assessment by Wally Buono. Although this fan has long thought our mix of International players on the D Line is not effective, not strong enough, not physically dominant (very, very ordinary in their talent level). And our International O Line tackles are not showing a sufficient level of effectiveness.
“It’s not working …whatever we’ve been doing for 15 weeks isn’t getting the point across,” Buono said.

... What they have been doing has been good enough to be middle of the road, as the record shows, but not to contend at the top, IMO. If Wally is talking about changing schemes, or more particularly, changing game preparation, one has hopes. If it is just about changing some routines at practice, one might expect to see the same product on the field.
The result has been changes that according to his top two strategy lieutenants will be evident on the field.

“We need to change some things up,” said offensive coordinator Khari Jones.

... Music to the ears of this CFL fan. Preaching to the choir also. :thup:
“Same-old, same-old won’t get it done,” concurred defensive coordinator Mark Washington.

... Also music to the ears of this CFL fan.
While the Lions brain trust sees value in altering practice habits there have been no personnel switches among starters from the group which lost to Hamilton at practice so far this week. -- Lowell Ullrich
Changing practice routines to keep things fresh is good, of course. I would hope to see some different things in the schemes, in the game preparation, attacking the vulnerabilities of a particular team. Will we see that? From what we hear, one might have hopes.

This fan thinks Khari and Mark can do things differently. The quotes in this article would seem to say that that has not been our approach. It seems to this fan that our approach has been deliberately to not change things up, as a philosophy that the familiar, the well-known, is better than the untried, the new. Rather, it has been to bring, in Mark W's words, the "same-old, same-old" to the game. It seems to this fan that our approach has been to stay with what has been tried and true throughout the years for Wally Buono. (And that approach has brought the most wins ever for a CFL coach, and a number of Grey Cup championships.)

Wally and the staff will be working hard to get some wins. We know that. But it ain't easy out there. All the CFL staffs work their tails off.

IMO, if we change things up, if we attack the specific vulnerabilities of each team, we can contend, even now.

(Hopefully, for my part, as one CFL fan, this post will not be taken as critical of the staff. That is not my intention these days. It seems Wally, Mark and Khari acknowledge the need for change. This fan is in favour of that.)

Game time soon enough.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnHenry
Champion

I don't think coaches are the problem. It comes down to poor QB'ing. That's the difference between winning and losing close games. Only the RB's 49% passer Lynley has a lower QB rating than Jennings as a starter. The alarm bells should have rung loud in the first few games of the season when Jennings struggled to pass for 250 yds against the weak Eastern teams. Then when Lulay was inserted he passed for multiple 400 yd games in the same offence. Let's face facts, Jennings was lucky last year, often throwing into double coverage with our superlative receivers still making the play. That strategy wasn't working this year.

Good QB'ing can mask a lot of other problems, like our anemic pass rush and poorus OL protection. The QB needed to get the ball away quicker, like Travis did successfully in his starts. I'm not writing off Jonathon, but he really needs to pull up his socks.

I said when the Lions signed flyweight C. Williams, he would only take opportunities away from C. Rainey on offence (assuming Williams would be a DI, not a starter). Not surprisingly, Rainey may have realized he would be marginalized and lacks the spark he had last year. Getting rid of Olifoyie is another story, probably a casualty of the huge contract he was given, not because of poor play. These moves have hurt the team...the return game, the receiving corp and the OL.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am a skeptic and will remain so until I see evidence of game planning to take advantage of specific weaknesses of an opponent, a more aggressive D that doesn't try to keep it all in front of the DBs, only to fail and give up big plays. I also need to see better designed run plays and not just read/option inside running plays that don't allow the O line to block downfield. I also need to see designed roll outs by the QB so the launch point is not the same on every play. I also need to see a relief valve short pass receiver on plays to counter act the blitz.

I am not holding my breath waiting for any of the above. Talk is cheap, so show me real change and then I will be a believer, not before.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:21 am
I am a skeptic and will remain so until I see evidence of game planning to take advantage of specific weaknesses of an opponent, a more aggressive D that doesn't try to keep it all in front of the DBs, only to fail and give up big plays. I also need to see better designed run plays and not just read/option inside running plays that don't allow the O line to block downfield. I also need to see designed roll outs by the QB so the launch point is not the same on every play. I also need to see a relief valve short pass receiver on plays to counter act the blitz.

I am not holding my breath waiting for any of the above. Talk is cheap, so show me real change and then I will be a believer, not before.
:thup: :thup: We've been fed that line before and nothing has changed. I really don't expect any major changes for this Saturday.
leo4life
All Star

Expect a win at home long as execution is done properly 😤