Is Wally Staying around in 2018?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

maxlion wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:57 pm
Although I have generally been supportive of Wally as coach and GM, and certainly don't hold him responsible for the declining attendance, I don't feel that himstaying on for another year in any capacity would be beneficial to anyone. It's time for Braley to make a move and get this franchise in the hands of someone with longer term vision and planning. Part of the new ownership's job should be bringing in new staff and management. Dragging this on year after year is very detrimental to the team.
100% agree with this. The club must be sold, even if we might regret the results on the field in seasons to come. I feel like it's 1989 again (but this time the Lions won't be Pezim's toy, it at least looks hopeful that responsible parties are interested.)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Honour Dewalt wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:52 pm
The careful what you wish for part is that you never know what the next group is going to do. We've been there before with past ownership groups. It has to be right.
True dat. Through the days of community ownership there were ups and downs both on the field and with the financial well-being of the club. Somehow they managed to squeak by financially but it wasn't without a lot of things like selling debentures to keep the Lion's nostrils above water at times. The first foray into private ownership was with Pezim. In a matter of only about 8 years we went from Pezim to Comrie to Skalbania with the CFL stepping in to run things for periods of time in between before Braley rescued the club when nobody else would. Other than some initial bumps in the road it's largely been 2 decades of stability since then. I think part of what seems like a painstakingly long process is due to Braley wanting to make sure things end up in the hands of a group that is both local andj just as willing to be in it for the long haul as he has been. This as opposed to turning it over to a group that might merely be the start of another revolving door of owners. The old cat is on the equivalent of its 9th life if that were to happen.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Private/Public ownership, doesn't really matter which. They can all go horribly wrong. I suspect in this city of high flying business types, you might get some blow back with community ownership if the team is not paying for itself. People are generally good with private citizens blowing $$ but when it comes to public purse strings, you have those with $$ *beeotch* to keep them and those without *beeotch* that it should be spent elsewhere. All one has to do is look at the stadium itself to know how people complain about the cost of it, the renovation, leaking roof issues and on and on and on.

And in reference to the title, God, I hope not.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
leo4life
All Star

Lots of speculation on this last night on 3Down radio.Lalji thinks either Neil Mcavoy or Geroy in house or a possible CFL retread GM back in the fold.He feels Wally would be an adviser to the new ownership on who to hire for GM.As for HC Lalji said Mark Washington however it would be up to the new GM.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:27 pm
Lots of speculation on this last night on 3Down radio.Lalji thinks either Neil Mcavoy or Geroy in house or a possible CFL retread GM back in the fold.
Oh that Farhan. He really stuck his neck out on that prediction. Two internal candidates one of whom has more than paid his dues learning all aspects of the GM job and another club icon who by all accounts is quite astute and quickly learning the ropes. The only reason I could see Neil or Geroy being passed over is if the new owner wants to totally clean house from Skulsky down to Kato. Suggesting retreads is like saying c) none of the above.
leo4life
All Star

Who would be an ideal HC candidate? Lure Mr.Lapolice? New direction much needed
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If Braley does not sell, in time, before the 2018 season, I fully expect it will be Wally at the controls. Would Wally give up the Head Coaching gig for Mark Washington? Possibly, but I think the odds might be against it.

Would Wally prefer to retire after this year? Possibly, but his loyalty to Braley is strong.

So, if Braley does not sell, prior to next season, I expect Braley would opt for continuity, keeping Wally in his present positions.

Many moving parts. Many uncertainties.

Braley is in kind of a box. He wants more money than interested parties are willing to pay. It is a buyer's market. Time is not on Braley's side. IMO he will not get the price he desires.

Many fans are restless. A sale is discussed over and over, and nothing happens. But it would seem something has to give within a year or two. Or does it? This year? Next year? Three years from now? Aiee yie yie ...

Status quo, methinks, unless David Braley accepts a price much below his target figure. My guess is any offers might be about half of what he wants. Braley has obviously been in no hurry to sell, and that pattern seems to be holding.

Just some speculations ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Rammer
Team Captain

Braley is looking for a financially sound owner who has an appreciation for the Lions history/commmunity.

That is a limited list if there is a list at all that would want to tie their name and money to that purchase.

The Lions franchise is best described as a roller coaster ride, quick to top and riding out the fall for as lo by as possible. Braley's has been the longest ride yet, even had a second loop in there. However without the revenue generator like the other franchises (parking and concessions) the Lions aren't playing on the same level as those franchises. For the price Braley has been seeking$20M reportedly, the buyer would be better to go buy the Stamps at that dollar.

As for community ownership, well I can't see that this day and age and especially given the decline the Lions have fallen in recent years. Getting the funding for what Bralley is looking for would be the first of several hurdles to jump. At least with a private owner you only need one vision and sooner than later you will find out if that vision is sound or not.

Had Braley sold the club with the excitement of Wally's first Lion GC, odds are a reasonable sale and return for his investment should have been available. Now without a long term GM/HC with a team on the upswing value has to be at an all time low.

It bodes for a Pezim/Rykman type to come in for the headlines and quick turnover for profit. Inn this account I will give Braley the credit to push this style ownership away. His pockets are deep enough and his knowledge great enough to know to stay away from any ownership that isn't stable.

IMO the sale of the Lions will be next to impossible under the above circumstances. Add to that the potential of Wally moving on in life and the next two seasons aren't going to be easy for Lion fans.

The ride is coming to an end.
Entertainment value = an all time low
David
Team Captain

Outside of this website and a couple of media types, there hasn't been a lot of calls for Braley to sell. It's not like he feels any pressure to sell; that's why I cringed when he said nothing is going to take place during the season (presumably to not be a distraction).

Unless there have been significant discussions this summer (doubtful), we're likely looking at a status quo front office in 2018, even if Braley decides to sell - no guarantee. Ownership transitions take time (look at what happened with the Argos) and if it's March or April before a deal goes through, then you're only looking at 8 weeks to get a staff in place for the 2018 season.

Personally, I don't think Wally will be back coaching in 2018. At the very least, standing every day at practice has been murder on his back. I think Mark Washington will be handed the reigns. I hope like hell Dave Sidoo is involved in the ownership group - the guy is working miracles at UBC, turning that program into a winner and getting nearly 10,000 fans out to homecoming a couple of weeks ago.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If the Lions make Washington the next HC, it will be a case of rewarding mediocrity. OTOH if he hires a new DC, the team will likely benefit.

If, however a rookie HC, regardless of who it is, decides to also be a coordinator then disaster will follow.
leo4life
All Star

Bouno's last 2 hires for HC didnt pan out.Only way a new HC will have a chance at succes is for a new GM and the new coach to hire his OWN staff imho
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:37 am
Outside of this website and a couple of media types, there hasn't been a lot of calls for Braley to sell. It's not like he feels any pressure to sell; that's why I cringed when he said nothing is going to take place during the season (presumably to not be a distraction).
I've wondered the same thing David. I think it's only the absolute hardcore of the hardcore that have strong opinions on the need or urgency for Braley to sell. Even then it's certainly not unanimous amongst them.

I'd wager that a straw poll amongst fans at any given game:
10% think it needs to be done and the sooner the better
10% are happy Braley is the owner and see no urgency or reason for him to sell
The remaining 80% either don't have an opinion, don't know they might be up for sale or don't really care who owns the team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

As each day goes by, the value of the club decreases with declining attendance and public apathy running rampant. Braley needs to sell sooner than later to allow the new owners to put in a marketing plan etc.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:33 am
As each day goes by, the value of the club decreases with declining attendance and public apathy running rampant. Braley needs to sell sooner than later to allow the new owners to put in a marketing plan etc.
You're preaching to the choir here TheLionKing. There's hardly a poster on this board that would disagree. The point Hambone and I are making is that, although we all recognize it as an issue, I really don't think Joe or Jane Fan have an informed opinion on ownership. I agree with Hambone's hypothetical straw poll BTW. I think that is about bang-on.

As for Washington, I wouldn't correlate his DC results with his ability to be a HC. I see him as more in the Mike Tomlin mould in Pittsburgh. A gifted orator who can potentially get the buy-in from African-American players because he's more relatable. Noel Thorpe as defensive coordinator would be a coup.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

David wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:52 am

As for Washington, I wouldn't correlate his DC results with his ability to be a HC. I see him as more in the Mike Tomlin mould in Pittsburgh. A gifted orator who can potentially get the buy-in from African-American players because he's more relatable. Noel Thorpe as defensive coordinator would be a coup.

I agree. Different skill sets for HC and coordinators. Thorpe is a possible example of this too. May be a better DC than Washington, but I would much rather see Washington over Thorpe as HC.

That said, I have no idea whether or not Washington is the best person for the job. From the outside, he seems to have a good rapport with players and is able to keep the defence working together and motivated.