TiCats 24 - Lions 23, Post-Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

InUrFace
Rookie

I've been quiet this entire season on here. Now those who called me a troll because I was after Wallys head and coaching staff. I see now that you know I've been right all along. Yet back few years back most of you attacked me when I wanted Wally gone and fired or step down. You attacked me when I said Wally didnt give full control to JT as head coach. If he did they would be a winning team now. Thats my opinion.

When I knew Wally would be the HC again I all ready knew that this would be the same old predictable boring Offense. I also knew letting KJ being OC and MW as DC it would only tell me Wally has his puppets on strings again. Bringing Darazio back I knew the Oline would fall apart and make QBs run for their lives and they will get injured badly when doing so. Example Lulay. Example JJ, so on so forth. Now special teams ever since Wally been working with them they have not looked special at all. Rainey looks like he's frustrated and had enough. CW isnt being used for his speed. This old ass pathetic play book needs to burn yet Wally holds it like a bible of football. Wally's time here must come to an end. We dont make the play offs I feel he will want to come back next year to show he still has it. Well only thing he has is a team that doesnt believes that he has it still as a HC. Of course they wont say this to media. So a good friend of mine that is close to a vet on the team. Told me that this team wants change. He stated to my friend they need someone with imagination that thinks outside the box and can change plays on the fly. So even if my friend is telling the truth or not. Thats for you to decide. He said its someone on the offense as well.

Still if its true or not. Thats exactly what we need imagination, creative schemes and play calling plus new blood. Wallys excuses are that excuses not the reality of the real picture. As fans we deserve a winning team an exciting team to watch. This team has the weapons. We just dont have the right coaching that goes for MW as well. these coaches just dont utilize the players that they have the way they should be utilized.

My last thought lets come together as fans and get Wally kicked out of the building. No fans no money. The fans have say in this.
dont renew season tickets. Dont support by going to games. Our voice must be heard.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The Lions running game fools pretty much no defence in the CFL including the Ticats. It's then down to the big plays from a confident QB who is not quite back to shooting the lights on every down. They have passed to Lumbala though a few times which for the Lions is not typical. Creative and imaginative are not the first things that come to mind with BC. No Harris who could do 1000 in passing and again in rushing and no Messam who can also do both. Just Johnson or Gainey and both very good but unless you have run packages that cause defences to think before reacting - no one gets fooled and it's all back to Wally's view - it becomes only about execution. The Calgary game where Singleton was able to react either way was due to their knowledge of how BC plays - they won't do that with other teams and be effective with that MLB.

The new look Ticats played with more confidence and luckily their FG Kicker didn't get a call from his g/f until half time or he'd have won it for them by a bigger margin.

Tackling on the runs wasn't great which kept the Ticats on the field.

The botched coverage on the TD to the back of end zone was brutal and seemingly there was no reason for it.

Lions big plays excite but overall it's not an exciting team to watch unless it's a big play.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Figaro
Rookie

Great win for the Ti-cats. When June Jones arrived, the first thing he did was take the Ti-cats' best offensive player off the kick return team and play him full time as a receiver. Brandan Banks has been a game changer for Hamilton - they are 3-1 in their last 4 starts after going 0-9!

Why do we continue to hide Rainey on the kick return team - a team that couldn't return a book to the library? And when we do use him, we either run him up the middle of a few yards - that is JJ24's job - or the other team keys on him because he is not always in there.

Offensively, we should go up tempo - I mean really fast. Whenever we are moving the ball and getting on a role the game is moving at a faster pace.Rainey and Williams on one side with Manny, Burnham and Moore on the other. Last night I thought Andrew Jones played exceptionally well - time for an all National offensive line Stewart, Vaillancourt , Husband, Jones and yes David Foucault at right tackle. You have Fabien and Antonio Johnson to rotate in. An all Canadian line allows Moore, an exceptional target and receiver, to play.

Playoffs are a faint hope - playing the way we have has made them even fainter - time to try something unpredictable that teams like Winnipeg won't be ready for. I know that is not Wally's style, but man he sure looked whipped on the sideline last night during the fourth quarter.

Other than providing help for Fenner, I think our defence plays pretty good. It is just our poor offence puts them on the field too much and often with bad field position. The best defence is a great offence -and I didn't just make that up . Spread the field and opportunities will present themselves. A few new plays on offence would help.

As for last night? Coaching cost us the game more than 'execution.' What happened to JJ24 when we were on the 3 yard line? Hamilton couldn't stop him all night and when you look at his TD's this season, he is money close to the end zone. I am still wondering why they chose to pass. Yes there was a blitz on both plays but JJ24 can beat that blitz - he has in the past many times.

One last note - pay Ty Long whatever he is asking. Sad to say but I think our best weapon right now is our kicker.
Figaro
Rookie

"My last thought lets come together as fans and get Wally kicked out of the building. No fans no money. The fans have say in this.
dont renew season tickets. Dont support by going to games. Our voice must be heard."

There must be other ways of expressing our frustration with Wally's play calling than trying to financially bankrupt a team that is for sale by not supporting them through ticket sales? I have heard of the phrase "to cut one's nose off to spite one's face" an over reaction that leads to terrible self-harm.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:00 am
I don't mean to pile on here and be disrespectful, but Wally can be testy and condescending to the media all he wants:

"Guys, guys, guys, it's not the play-calling. It's about what? (long pause because no one in the media has a freakin' clue what else it could be) **climbs on soapbox** It's about execution, right? At the end of it, it's about not making mistakes. Not taking dumb penalties." :sleep:

But I hate to say it - all of those continual missteps lead to one thing....coaching. The players aren't buying into what's being sold.

DH :cool:
Sometimes I just wanna puke
When Wally says "We just didn't execute"

Guys, guys, guys, you know, you know...........you know guys".
Wally Buono on why his Lions came up short against Hamilton. The GM/head coach says it once again came down to execution.
There was a key play call late in this contest that led to our loss.

With 5:12 remaining in the game, our offence took over the football at our own 39 yard line. An interference penalty, a Jennings 24 yard completion to Burnham, and a 19 yard Jeremiah Johnson run, and we were on the Hamilton 17 yard line.

Jennings threw a quick out to Chris Williams, who just as quickly dropped the football. It was 2nd and 10 and the refs called a timeout for the three minute warning.

Wally and Jones discussed strategy. I said to the person beside me "I sure hope Wally doesn't just settle for the field goal. It would only put us up by 2 points with too much time on the clock for Hamilton to come back and kick a winning field goal.

But settle for the field goal was what Wally did, as is his penchant to do so. The play call was a quarterback draw, a play with a low chance of success compared to a pass call, with 10 yards needed for a first down.

Long came in and kicked a 20 yard field goal to give us the two point lead. And then, with our defense needing to dig in, Masoli drove the football down the field against our defense to set up the 50 yard field goal attempt.

Wally called a time out to freeze Masoli and pray for the win. Masoli kicked the football through the uprights and our chances of controlling our outcome towards a playoff game this season suddenly became a colored leaf blowing in an autumn wind.

I felt an overwhelming sadness.

We lost to a Hamilton team that is less talented than ours, to a coach who was only coaching his fourth game in the CFL, and to a quarterback who has mostly been a career backup.

We put up 480 yards of offence but still we lost the game.

My mind flashed back to the penalties in the first half, the Chris Willams drop of a perfectly thrown long pass by Jennings that should have been a sure touchdown but Williams dropped it. It would have been called back anyway due to a holding penalty.

I thought about the first half of play, when Jeremiah Johnson only had 14 yards of rushing. A 28-yard run by Jennings in the first half was erased by a fumble by Jeremiah Johnson which the Ticats recovered at midfield.

I reflected back on the Hamilton failed onside kick that was recovered by Alex Bazzie. I thought about our offensive drive to the Hamilton 14 yard line but then our offensive line allowed Hamilton's Dean to penetrate and we had to dump off to Arseneaux for a 5 yard completion on second down and kick a field goal.

I remembered our third quarter drive, which began with an off-side penalty which placed the football at our own 32 yard line. Jennings drove the football to the Hamilton 3 yard line. Jones called two passing plays and we had to kick a 10 yard field goal.

Later in the third quarter, with good field position, Jennings was sacked for a 7 yard loss on second down, killing the drive. Hamilton had lined up 7 defenders on the line of scrimmage. But every receiver was 20 yards down field and Jennings had no release valve to throw to.

I thought about our defense, that not only allowed Green to run the football 140 yards on 13 attempts, which works out to 10.8 yards per carry but also the number of times, once again, that our secondary was confused, in terms of which receiver to cover. Its been a problem all season and a long standing one for Mark Washington's defense.

I'm dispensing with reflecting on THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY for this game. Obviously, with 345 yards of passing and 480 yards of total offence a lot of good things happened. But this is not a team that is coached well enough and that is obvious.

OPTOMISM AND AN EARLY PENDING SENSE OF CONCERN

Like most Lionbackers I went into this season with a lot of optimism. With Jennings coming off such a great season, with an offensive line that had opened up a lot of holes for Jeremiah Johnson last year as our Leos led the CFL in rushing, and who had also done a decent job of pass protection as well, with Manny and Burnham and Moore leading our receiving crew, things looked very positive.

Add Chris Rainey to the mix on offence and this was a CFL offence that most anticipated would be very difficult to stop in 2017.

On defense, with T.J. Lee, Ronnie Yell, and Stephen Clarke healthy again, with Fenner and Gaitor in the fold, and with Sol E. signed and ready to lead the CFL in tackles again from his linebacker spot, our defense looked like it would be better than 2016.

All we really needed to do was bring in a decent rush end and a linebacker to replace Bighill, plus find a kicker amongst the many candidates looking for jobs.

I first began to worry when Buono signed a bunch of free agents that did little to inspire, other than perhaps Chris Williams, who Ottawa did not want to keep and who was coming off knee surgery and would not be able to start the season.

The signings of CFL free agents Tony Burnett, Swayze Waters, Matt Bucknor, Dequin Evans, Dylan Ainsworth, and Buddy Jackson got a lot of press and media attention here in B.C. but the signings were less than inspiring to me.

Then, it was announced that we would be trading Jovan Olifioye. I thought it was crazy to trade a perennial CFL All-Star tackle who could play both sides of the offensive line and who never got injured. When the trade was completed for Faucault, I was not only disappointed but also concerned.

Our only issue on the offensive line from 2016 was the play of Antonio Johnson. Now we were creating a potential offensive line issue. It was a huge mistake.

CONCERN TURNS TO ANXIETY

My concern turned to anxiety when we made key personnel changes to begin the 2016 season. It began on offence, when Buono/Dorazio decided to start Faucault at left guard for our first game. Facault had no CFL starting experience and no guard experience. From the first game of the season, Jennings was under serious duress from opposing defences. He got hurt early as well. His confidence slid as the hits, sacks, and incompleted passes took their toll.

But Buono, Washington, Dorazio, and Jones could not stop playing with the toys in the sandbox. It was even crazier on defense. Buono had said, going into the season that Kenyan Parker would start at field corner and he signed Bucknor to provide a Natiaonal backup.

But then we decided to start Thompson at corner, even though Parker had played very well at both corners, when given opportunities in 2016 and Thompson is not a natural corner. But it didn't stop there. In the week prior to our season opener, we decided to switch Purifoy to free safety, rather than start Clarke at safety. Purifoy hadn't even practiced there during training camp. Fenner would now be our nickel back.

We then decided to bench Thompson due to his poor play at field corner and replace him with Stephen Clarke. Then Gaitor was moved outside to corner, Purifoy was moved to field halfback, and Thompson was inserted as our starting safety.

In the meantime, we decided to go with Brooks and Turner at tackle before inserting Luke for Turner a number of games ago. Awe replaced the uninspiring Tony Burnett. Finally, after using Evans, Shirley, Boatright and Foley, we got Alex Bazzie back for this game.

It's been an ever changing lineup on defense, with not enough of a consistent pass rush and assignment breakdowns in the secondary. It also wasn't necessary.

All we needed to do was to recruit a rush end or sign a free agent rush end. Awe was assigned to backup middle linebacker Sol E. through training camp, even though he was an obvious successor to Bighill.

Fenner should have been playing halfback, where he played well last year and Purifoy should have been left at nickel back, where he was outstanding last season (43 tackles, 5 quarterback sacks, three forced fumbles, and a 43 yard fumble return touchdown) instead of being shifted to safety and halfback. He also had one game where he played corner.

On offence, Buono and Company continued to play with their offensive toys as well.

We should have moved Fabian back to left guard to begin this season and insert Vaillencourt at right guard. But Wally wanted to ensure that his trade of Olifioye looked good. He began training camp with Faucault batting it out with Hunter Steward for the left tackle spot, with the hope that Faucault would beat Steward out and then Buono would move Steward back to left guard. But that scenario was quickly put to bed and Buono moved Facault to guard.

When it became obvious that Faucault was not good enough to start at left guard, Buono inserted Vaillencourt. But when Vaillencourt got hurt, Buono shifted Steward to left guard and moved Antonio Johnson, who was beaten out by Palmer at right tackle to left tackle. Palmer, who had struggled all season at right tackle, was replaced by Faucault at right tackle for one game and then inserted back into the lineup for the Hamilton game.

The juggling of our offensive line has not only created problems with pass protection. Its also impacted our receiving crew.

We went into the season with Manny, Burnham, Moore, Iannuzzi, and Johnson. But when Williams returned we moved Iannuzzi out of the lineup and placed Williams in the slot and moved Moore outside.

Its been a receiving crew in flux all season, except for Manny and Burnham. There was a key play call late in this contest that led to our loss.

This Leos team, now 6-7 and right now, unless the football gods intervene, looks like there is a good chance it will not make the playoffs. It should be fighting for first place in the West.

From training camp on, we've moved players around like they were toys in a sandbox. Purifoy played nickel at training camp, safety, corner, and defensive halfback. Thompson started the season at corner, not a natural position for him, was benched, and then emerged as a safety. Gaitor has played wide halfback and corner. Fenner was switched from his defensive halfback to nickel back this season. He should have been left at halfback and Purifoy, who had 43 tackles last season, 5 sacks, three forced fumbles, interceptions, and a fumble recovery for a touchdown should never have been removed.

On the offensive line, Steward has played left tackle and left guard, Faucault started as a left guard for our season opener, with no CFL starting experience, let alone left guard experience and has also played right tackle. Antonio Johnson lost his spot to Palmer at right tackle to begin the season and is now our starting left tackle.

At receiver, Williams has played slot and boundary wide side receiver as has Nick Moore played both positions, as well as being shunted out of the starting lineup. Iannuzzi has played slot and wide side receiver.

When you run predictable schemes, in order to win, you need talent and a very high level of execution. That is made so much more difficult with changing personnel. Throw in poor pass protection most of the time, a defensive line that has had trouble getting consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks, and assignment breakdowns in the secondary way too often under Mark Washington, and winning becomes more difficult.

So lets look at this matter of execution or lack thereof.

It begs some serious questions.

1. Are we struggling to execute due to a lack of talent. Less talented players don't 'execute' at the same level as more talented players. If its a question of a lack of talent leading to a lack of execution, then that is the fault of the GM.

2. Are we struggling to execute due to a lack of coaching. In other words, why are our players not executing as well as the opposition, if we do have enough talent. Execution comes from coaching, from practice reps, and from technique teaching.

Why is Paul LaPolice able to get the Bombers offence executing at such a good level, when not one of their receivers would make our staring receiving lineup? Why is Calgary able to continuously replace offensive lineman due to injury and continue to protect Bo Levi so that he can often do needle point in the huddle before throwing the football. Did Hamiltons' players suddenly start executing better when June Jones arrived or did it have something to do with Jones?

3. Is our lack of execution a problem, in part due to our scheme, game planning, and play calling? An excellent scheme advantages a team and exploits areas that are vulnerable. Excellent game planning does the same. Play calling is a big factor in execution too. A screen or draw play can look good or bad, depending on the design and the timing of the play call, for example or what formation the defense is in at that particular moment.

We have had the same scheme for most of the Buono era on offence. On defense, other than when Ritchie or Stubler were here, its also been mostly a passive zone defensive scheme. We don't do much game planning for the opposition because Wally doesn't believe we need to. All he believes is that we need to execute our 'superior' stuff. In terms of play calling, we lack the art and science of setting plays up or our play design is lacking.

For example, Against Hamilton, the Tabbies lined up 7 on the line of scrimmage on one play, showed blitz, and brought it. Jennings was sacked for a 7 yard loss and no receiver was available for him to throw to that was less than 20 yards downfield. The fly sweep to Williams was so badly designed it was embarrassing. I've seen better pee wee teams run the fly sweep with a better design.

Winning is about personnel, coaching, scheme, game planning and play calling. Execution is derived from all of those factors.

We didn't get the job done in terms of key personnel areas needing addressing through free agency. We traded away a star offensive lineman and didn't replace him. We mucked around with our starting lineups way too much. We didn't make the scheme changes we needed to make to take advantage of the speed and talents of Rainey or Williams when be became healthy.

We didn't make any adaptions during our bye week, when it was obvious that adaptions were necessary. All the danger signs were there during the off-season and the start of this season.

Iv'e always been left with a bad feeling when we laid down in our return match with the Riders. Buono's teams have been outsmarted and badly at times in the playoffs. But they have never quit. In that game our players did not come out with a desire to play and they also laid down.

I've been left with a feeling for too many games now, that there is something internally going on with this year's Leos team that is not healthy or good.

They say that 'kharma is a *beeotch*'. Perhaps Buono's comments about being a legend and his undermining his self-chosen Head Coaching selections by standing in the cherry picker, overseeing their practices from high above, not only physically but also from an elevated status in his own mind, has come back to haunt him. The real football gods don't appreciate those sorts of things.

I have a bias in terms of what I admire in a leader. I respect leaders who take well calculated risks rather than operate out of fear. D Day would never have happened if Buono had been the leader of that time and era.

I like my leaders to inspire out of knowledge and wisdom rather than creating a climate of fear and blame.

I respect leaders who are accountable rather than deflect or point the finger at subordinates. That is so easy to do.

I respect leaders who are adaptable. Evolution is the story of the smartest being the survivors, not the strongest. The smartest leaders adapt. They are flexible when they need to be.

It should be embarrassing for Buono to trot out the same lame 'lack of execution scape goating game after game. It would be a treat if he put on his 'man hat' for a change and showed true leadership.

Anyway, guys, guys, guys, you know, you know, I will end this post with a few quotes, you know, as parting thoughts:
"Rigidity is, most often, a type of arrogance. Rigid often means unbending, unyielding, and righteous. Rigid often means "thinking, speaking, and imposing black/white thinking" (Unknown)

“The search for a scapegoat is the easiest of all hunting expeditions.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

"A leader is wise to focus their energies on answers, and not excuses"
---William Arthur Ward.

"A good leader takes a little more than his share of the blame, a little less than his share of the credit"
--Arnold H. Glasow
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MacNews
Team Captain

We could have sacked Masoli on that final drive, taking the TiCats out of field-goal range. But Masoli faked out the rusher (Awe?) and they got more positive yards.

Our defense has no mojo and keeps dropping picks and whiffing on sacks. Of course, this is one issue among many.
dodger
Rookie

The Lions have many good pieces but can't put together a team, to me that is coaching.
I cannot understand why the Lions on second and 5-7 yards will have the DB sit back 10 to 15 yards. Even a bad quarterback will complete almost every pass to a wide open receiver.
One of those many plays happened right in front of where I was sitting last night. I could see it happening before the ball was even snapped. Hamilton player runs up 5 yards turns around and catches an easy pass. Lions defender is 15 yards back from the line of Scrimmage. I sit there shaking my head thinking why. Been that way for several seasons.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

But settle for the field goal was what Wally did, as is his penchant to do so. The play call was a quarterback draw, a play with a low chance of success compared to a pass call, with 10 yards needed for a first down.
Heard on the post game that some players on the sideline were heard questioning the call "what's that ? ". Seems like some players are finger pointing at the coaching, not a good sign.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

June Jones knows his way around a playbook. Odd formation. No left tackle aside from a small receiver. Which way is it going? Nice design. QB read/toss right short side for good yardage.

004_Odd_formation.__No_left_tackle,_except_for_a_little_guy.__Read_Toss_to_Green for excellent yardage..png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Another odd formation. 4 O Linemen Jones finds a way to get an extra receiver onto the field. It seems to me Jones has made football fun in Hamilton. The guys are playing like it. This CFL fan hopes Jones sticks around for a while. Creative. Goes for it. The players love that stuff, as Toppy notes.

I bet Jones is having fun too. Putting it on paper. Chalkboard to the team. Practice. Game. Lots of fun. And then a win on the road. Gotta be feeling good.

005.png
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Bazzie gets to Masoli, who is not an easy man to track down.

001 Bazzie beats his man.png
002 Masoli is not easy to run down.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Onside kick by the TiCats. They saw a vulnerability on film. A Lion sees it coming before he peels back.

006_Onside_kick_in_the_first_quarter..png
The TiCats had a good shot at it. Lions outnumbered 6 to 2, but we get the ball. Jones has been around the block a time or two. He is an expert in Xs and Os. He has a lot of tricks. This CFL fan likes what he brings to the table.

008__They_had_a_good_shot_at_it_on_the_ground.__5_TiCats_vs_2_Lions.__But_we_got_it..png
A few years back I put an article on here about a high school coach who does an onside kick every time, with very high success rate. They have dozens of ways to do it.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

009 Jennings just has time to get this pass off to Burnham

009 Jennings just has time to get this pass off to Burnham.png

010 Burnham finds a hole in the zone

010 Burnham finds a hole in the zone.png

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

QB sweep by Jennings. Essential block by JJ24. Jennings having fun on that one. :thup:

Very nice scamper.

012 Jennings feeling good about now.png

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:37 pm
Heard on the post game that some players on the sideline were heard questioning the call "what's that ? ". Seems like some players are finger pointing at the coaching, not a good sign.
When posters on Lionbackers can see the flaws in Lion play design, play calling, minimal in game adjustments;

When the TSN crew show replays 2 weeks in a row pinpointing different flaws;

Is it any wonder that there are players questioning what is going on? However they best remember that coaches coach and players play. And of course fans criticize and complain. :wink: